Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Oil Strainer Housing Gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorvated
Cleaned out the strainer and ready to install the two new large paper gaskets. My question is whether I should install them dry, or should I put a thin smear of engine oil on them first.
ClayPerrine
Dry. And don't forget to replace the aluminum crush washer under the bolt head.
motorvated
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 22 2018, 06:13 PM) *

Dry. And don't forget to replace the aluminum crush washer under the bolt head.

Got it. Thanks!
bandjoey
And don’t forget the super low torque. Something like 8lbs. Someone will jump in with exact or check your Haynes book.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 23 2018, 12:08 AM) *

And don’t forget the super low torque. Something like 8lbs. Someone will jump in with exact or check your Haynes book.

9 lbs, if you change your own oil an inch pound torque wrench is a wise investment.
ottox914
Its good to have several ranges of TQ wrenches in the drawer. Dig thru pawn shops to find some hidden gems is smaller ranges.
TheCabinetmaker
If i bought a torque wrench from a pawn shop, Id have it calibrated before using it. They don't like being dropped. They should also be kept in the case and returned to 0 when stored. I attended a calibration class as part of my Air Force jet mechanic tech school. We did a lot of test on them. You would not believe how much one can change when dropped on it's head on concrete from 4 feet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.