Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what are the chances of finding a factory LSD?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Well...….. long story short I came across another factory limited slip transmission just by pure dumb luck. Picked up a very rusty & crusty 72 a few weeks ago and as I was done loading 914 & parts up the guy said he has another transmission I could have if I wanted otherwise he was going to scrap it. It's a tail shifter, but hey parts is parts. I get home unload everything and well forget about the big stuff while I work on sorting the smalls and putting stuff away.

Fast forward to today. Doing yard work when a friend stops by to chat 914s. While we are talking I just happen to glance over to where the transmission is on a dolly and notice a tag on it.... WTF.gif No way, it can't be a LSD. I turn the output flang and both turn in the same direction so flip it over, yep serial number starts out HB002xxxx

In all my years of selling parts & cars this is only the 2nd time I have ever came across a LSD. The first was back in 2012 on another plain jane 72. You can read about that by clicking ---->>>> HERE Not sure what I will do with this one yet. The last was sold to a racer in CA.

Here are some pics.
mepstein
smilie_pokal.gif
GeorgeRud
Great find! It amazes me that folks ordered these on a relatively underpowered car.
Unobtanium-inc
Never say no to parts. My brother and I were once loading up a whole barn of stuff, it was late in the day, we were filthy and tired, and there was a gearbox buried below a workbench. Just by looking at it I knew it would be hell to get out, I'm pretty sure the workbench was built on top of it. But our rule is take everything.

Got it home, cleaned it up, it was out of a Speedster with BBAB gearing.

Always take it, you can junk it later, but you can't go back.

We also got a 52 Coupe from the guy, too bad the VIN had long since rotted away...

---Adam
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 22 2018, 10:24 PM) *

Never say no to parts. My brother and I were once loading up a whole barn of stuff, it was late in the day, we were filthy and tired, and there was a gearbox buried below a workbench. Just by looking at it I knew it would be hell to get out, I'm pretty sure the workbench was built on top of it. But our rule is take everything.

We also got a 52 Coupe from the guy, too bad the VIN had long since rotted away...

---Adam

Yep, I always take everything offered even if it is junk. It can be a pain sometimes, but I have found many a treasures by doing that. Also always ask if there is anythig else. I got a 2.7 911 engine after already loading all the parts up I was offered. I asked if there was anything else and was offered an "old" 911 2.7 long block for pennies on the dollar. He felt it was junk, I felt it was a treasure.
914werke
Very cool!
IronHillRestorations
Brad Mayeur told me years ago that LSD transmissions have that tag, but I've never seen one until now. Cool stuff, and awesome score Garold!
914Sixer
Way to go beerchug.gif Since both transmissions came out of 1972's makes me wonder if the factory was dumping them because they weren't selling. They were trying to clean out inventory?
ottox914
Thats just crazy. Pick thru enough stuff, some good stuff shows up.
johnhora
Garold..
Be sure to remove carefully and keep the little aluminum Shell oil emblem on the side plate...They are highly prized by the early 911 gang. I have sold them before to those creating a show car.
rgalla9146
For me ?
Three in a mere forty years.
mb911
That is a prize.. I am not sure I would do anything with it other then just keep it.. Very cool.
ClayPerrine
Soooo.. How much do you want for it?

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Sep 22 2018, 07:33 PM) *

---Adam

Yep, I always take everything offered even if it is junk. It can be a pain sometimes, but I have found many a treasures by doing that. Also always ask if there is anythig else. I got a 2.7 911 engine after already loading all the parts up I was offered. I asked if there was anything else and was offered an "old" 911 2.7 long block for pennies on the dollar. He felt it was junk, I felt it was a treasure.

The best example I've ever seen of "always take it all" was a guy who bought out a shop in downtown Atlanta. About two truckloads of parts, nothing crazy, a few thousand bucks. The old guy said, "you gotta take the hulk out back, everything needs to be gone." He couldn't really tell what it was, but it was probably a Porsche. So he took it, got it home and did the research. It was a one of one steel America Roadster 12371, built by Hauer for Porsche. They made 13 but the first 12 were aluminum, this was the steel prototype, but no more were ever built. He sold the shell for $100,000, it has since been restored and is probably worth over a million now. So yes, always take it all! If anyone wants to read the story I can email a copy of the article I wrote for Excellence.
pete000
WOW !

I love these amazing stories...
burton73
QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 23 2018, 09:10 AM) *

WOW !

I love these amazing stories...

agree.gif

Bob B
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 23 2018, 12:06 PM) *

---Adam

The best example I've ever seen of "always take it all" was a guy who bought out a shop in downtown Atlanta. About two truckloads of parts, nothing crazy, a few thousand bucks. The old guy said, "you gotta take the hulk out back, everything needs to be gone." He couldn't really tell what it was, but it was probably a Porsche. So he took it, got it home and did the research. It was a one of one steel America Roadster 12371, built by Hauer for Porsche. They made 13 but the first 12 were aluminum, this was the steel prototype, but no more were ever built. He sold the shell for $100,000, it has since been restored and is probably worth over a million now. So yes, always take it all! If anyone wants to read the story I can email a copy of the article I wrote for Excellence.

mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 23 2018, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 23 2018, 12:06 PM) *

---Adam

yes please. Mark@MarkEpstein.net
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.