Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: identify front shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
i'm looking at new front shocks for my 74 but all the images are of just straight damper units. i know generic library images are used often but i'm a tad confused.

the picture shows the hub/stub axle is welded to the damper. i have found an image of this but it's listed as 911.

can someone explain what i have / should have? the rotors are 4 stud all around.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
The 914 front strut takes a shock insert. What you are seeing is the housing. the shock is inside and called a front strut insert. The insert can be replaced without removing the entire strut.
Mark Henry
agree.gif
Often called a cartridge, the shock drops into strut. You can't see the front shock when it's installed.
burton73
I just happened to have one close by to take a picture of. A complete front 911 Carrera setup that I bought from Dave – Toolguy.

Bob B
wub.gif Click to view attachment
JFG
thanks for that info. does the shock cartridge just sit inside the outer tube or does it screw in?
mepstein
QUOTE(JFG @ Sep 26 2018, 12:02 PM) *

thanks for that info. does the shock cartridge just sit inside the outer tube or does it screw in?

It drops down inside and a lock ring tightens down over top of the cartridge. You con use a lock ring spammer or a pipe wrench to remove. Sometimes it can be very stubborn and some heat (propane or map gas) on the tube near the top can aid with removal.
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 26 2018, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(JFG @ Sep 26 2018, 12:02 PM) *

It drops down inside and a lock ring tightens down over top of the cartridge. You con use a lock ring spammer or a pipe wrench to remove. Sometimes it can be very stubborn and some heat (propane or map gas) on the tube near the top can aid with removal.

I just happened to have a picture.

Bob BClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.