Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RolinkHaus
What does it mean when the car only starts with the throttle fully pressed?
TheCabinetmaker
It's flooded
RolinkHaus
What would make you constantly flood?
RolinkHaus
The car has sat for several years.
nditiz1
Leaky Injector
RolinkHaus
No fuel leaks found.
ClayPerrine
Leaky cold start injector.

It's in the intake plenum next to the oil filler.

TheCabinetmaker
Not that you can see! Have you pulled the injectors to verify that? The cold start valve can get stuck open too, or a failed Thermo tine switch.
RolinkHaus
Thanks I’ll check
Tom_T
Contrary to my esteemed colleagues above, I'd say that it's because you're starting it according to the Porsche instructions in the owners manual.

Here's a [pic of the 73 MY manual, but the 76 2L D-jet works the same, so your 76 manual should be the same.

Click to view attachment

It took me a while to adjust to not doing this when I got my 85 BMW E30 325e, after a decade of press & hold until started/running with my 914! blink.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

dr914@autoatlanta.com
maybe a bad head temp sensor check points gap /dwell compression and valve adjust though
ctc911ctc
Wow, it is on page 7 of my 1970 Owners Manual - same instructions. Stomp on the gas and then grind.

My cars have all started without any 'accelerator pump' antics, thought that's what EFI was all about????

Interesting point that Tom put forward.....

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 25 2018, 01:37 PM) *

Contrary to my esteemed colleagues above, I'd say that it's because you're starting it according to the Porsche instructions in the owners manual.

Here's a [pic of the 73 MY manual, but the 76 2L D-jet works the same, so your 76 manual should be the same.

Click to view attachment

It took me a while to adjust to not doing this when I got my 85 BMW E30 325e, after a decade of press & hold until started/running with my 914! blink.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

ctc911ctc
OOooops - page 11

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Sep 25 2018, 02:55 PM) *

Wow, it is on page 7 of my 1970 Owners Manual - same instructions. Stomp on the gas and then grind.

My cars have all started without any 'accelerator pump' antics, thought that's what EFI was all about????

Interesting point that Tom put forward.....

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 25 2018, 01:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
I must agree with Tom. I've never seen that in print but have heard about it. I've never started my car that way. I just reach in the window, set brake, put in neutral, and start it. That's a sure way to flood it.
Olympic 914
Great info. I have to do this on mine also, and I had chalked it up to not having the FI totally dialed in. it being a 2056 and different cam.

It still doesn't like to idle nice when cold though, but after a mile or two it warms up enough to idle.

I'm fine with it. confused24.gif driving.gif
RolinkHaus
Update:

New plugs, plug wires,cap/rotor, cylinder head temp sensor.

When I try to start it, properly, fuel is coming out of the cold start valve, which has new gaskets???
TheCabinetmaker
Bypass the cold start valve. Like i said before, it's flooded.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Sep 25 2018, 04:58 PM) *

Great info. I have to do this on mine also, and I had chalked it up to not having the FI totally dialed in. it being a 2056 and different cam.

It still doesn't like to idle nice when cold though, but after a mile or two it warms up enough to idle.

I'm fine with it. confused24.gif driving.gif

You need to readjust the mps for the added chamber volume.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.