Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easy Voltage readings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmc914
Here is a product found on Amazon that I just bought recently. It helped almost instantly. It gives you voltage readings and had a green light to indicate if all is okay. Starts blinking if voltage falls to low. Also has usb charger built into it for charging phones or maybe a GPS unit.

Installed this until I have time to install a "real" voltage gauge. Found voltage dropped way to much when I turned on fresh air fan (dropped to 10.1 volts). Yes, there is a problem with the fan wiring, have another post looking how to solve it on the board. Thought I smelled something burning. Turned off fan and voltage went right back up to 13.8 volts. The blinking light caught my eye right away. Might be even better that a voltage gauge. Only $12.99 plus tax. Don't normally stump for products but I think it was a post on this website that got me going in that direction a few weeks ago.

Click to view attachment
steuspeed
Slick!

My stock gauge was showing about 10.5V. Had me a bit worried on my last drive. Not driving as much as I used to. Trying to keep the miles down. Everything seemed to be working fine. All lights at good levels. Got home and put a meter on the battery while engine at idle. 13.9V, so my gauge is off.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 23 2018, 07:41 PM) *

Slick!

My stock gauge was showing about 10.5V. Had me a bit worried on my last drive. Not driving as much as I used to. Trying to keep the miles down. Everything seemed to be working fine. All lights at good levels. Got home and put a meter on the battery while engine at idle. 13.9V, so my gauge is off.

More likely you have resistance in the wires due to a bad ground somewhere and its showing less voltage. I don't think there is much calibration to do in a voltmeter.

Zach
McMark
It's a neat setup, but don't evaluate the performance of your electrical system. As Zach mentioned, the condition and size of the wires where your reading have a large effect on the number. While your cigarette lighter outlet might be reading 10.1, the reading at the battery is probably quite a bit higher. The reading at the fuse panel where the big red wires come in will also read higher.

The best volt gauge setup would use a 16g wire directly from the battery (or from the large red wire at the fuse panel), run through a relay (so you're not draining the battery 24/7). The more direct and isolated your volt gauge is, the more accurate it is.

It is a cool setup thought to have two charges and a readout. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.