Full Version: My 17 year old and this past weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
Background: ’74 2.0 barn find,
Replaced fuel system tank to injectors
Replaced all vacuum hoses
Replaced all other fluids
Body – perfect, really, really good.

THIS WEEKEND? Replaced Hell hole, longitudinal, floor pans.

Started by cutting out the rust!

Click to view attachment

Floor Pan in Place........Hhhhhm, big gap between the Longitudinal and the Floor pan, maybe I can fabricate something to square off that box...........

Click to view attachment

ctc911ctc
OK, weld it into place

Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
Pretty good for a 17-year-old! Nice Rosettes
Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
Floor pans are done - how about that gap.........
Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
Looks like it may fit pretty nice - better do some grinding
Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
Seems like a great fit, gap between the two pieces is the old seam where the old longitudinal pieces came together, there is still some good steel in there, hate to waste it!
Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
HHHHHHmmmmmmmm, do we have time to do the drivers side?????

Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
Though out of sequence, sometimes those parts need a little persuading!

Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
BTW - HE ALWAYS USES GOGGLES, I made him stand there since he had finished with the work and I wanted a picture of him torturing that inner Firewall.
billh1963
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Sep 23 2018, 09:59 PM) *

BTW - HE ALWAYS USES GOGGLES, I made him stand there since he had finished with the work and I wanted a picture of him torturing that inner Firewall.

That's good to know. I was going to call you out on that smile.gif

Great job your son is doing. You are winning in several ways....your son is developing an interest in older cars (which fewer kids have an interest in these days), you are teaching him a valuable skill, and the car is getting fixed! aktion035.gif
ctc911ctc
***************UPDATE***********

My son finished the welding of the floor panels, here are two pictures: one with 1/2 of the job complete. The other with all of it. The front passengers was in good shape so we did not strip and paint it.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Sep 23 2018, 07:47 PM) *

Floor Pan in Place........Hhhhhm, big gap between the Longitudinal and the Floor pan, maybe I can fabricate something to square off that box...........

ctc911ctc
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Oct 30 2018, 06:19 PM) *

My son finished the welding of the floor panels, here are two pictures: one with 1/2 of the job complete. The other with all of it. The front passengers was in good shape so we did not strip and paint it.

porschetub
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Oct 31 2018, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Oct 30 2018, 06:19 PM) *

Good to see your son getting in ,so much on the internet to improve learning,my son went through it all ,gave him minimal help but he could never work out which way to work bolts,he didn't know how to work out clockwise or anticlockwise....funny considering that never changes.
Now had IT degree and works on his own car ABF powered mk3 golf wagen ,proud Dad.

Chris H.
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 24 2018, 04:52 AM) *

Great job your son is doing. You are winning in several ways....your son is developing an interest in older cars (which fewer kids have an interest in these days), you are teaching him a valuable skill, and the car is getting fixed! aktion035.gif

Yes those are some great welds! It's so nice to see a young person working on something in the REAL world as opposed to the virtual one. He is CRANKING that thing out! Is he going to paint it today and rebuild the engine tomorrow biggrin.gif ??
ctc911ctc
Funny you should ask, he really wants to build a paint-booth in our garage.....sigh.

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 31 2018, 07:43 AM) *

Yes those are some great welds! It's so nice to see a young person working on something in the REAL world as opposed to the virtual one. He is CRANKING that thing out! Is he going to paint it today and rebuild the engine tomorrow biggrin.gif ??

Mark Henry
I wish I could get my 17 year old working on his project 914, only thing that motivates him is a paycheck. dry.gif

He has a bonus 914 project and has bought all the panels, but he can't get (keep) going on the 914. He bought a real nice '82 Audi Coupe and will drive my pickup in the winter to school. He got his full licence (G2) last month, his driving test was a total joke.
76-914
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Oct 31 2018, 07:54 AM) *

Funny you should ask, he really wants to build a paint-booth in our garage.....sigh.

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 31 2018, 07:43 AM) *

He can build one for <$100 with some 1x2's, a roll of plastic, sheetrock screws and staples. I used an old furnace squirrel cage fan w/ a $2 AC filter! Shouldn't take your son more than about 20 min's at the speed he works. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 31 2018, 01:38 PM) *

He can build one for <$100 with some 1x2's, a roll of plastic, sheetrock screws and staples. I used an old furnace squirrel cage fan w/ a $2 AC filter! Shouldn't take your son more than about 20 min's at the speed he works. biggrin.gif

Boston, might not be warm enough to paint till spring. smile.gif
ctc911ctc
HA - my kid is motivated by driving this ride to school!

Seriously, if he is motivated by money - perhaps he will support you "in style" in your future years?!?!

I spent a great deal of time in Germany and learned about their 2-day ride-along driver test (at least this is what I learned about within Bavaria), our driving test are pretty much a joke.

CTC911CTC

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 31 2018, 09:36 AM) *

I wish I could get my 17 year old working on his project 914, only thing that motivates him is a paycheck. dry.gif

He has a bonus 914 project and has bought all the panels, but he can't get (keep) going on the 914. He bought a real nice '82 Audi Coupe and will drive my pickup in the winter to school. He got his full licence (G2) last month, his driving test was a total joke.

ctc911ctc
Mark - made my day - thanks for this! All October did not get above 55.....sigh.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 31 2018, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 31 2018, 01:38 PM) *

Boston, might not be warm enough to paint till spring. smile.gif

ctc911ctc
Welding the lift spot into the rebuilt hell-hole structure.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ctc911ctc
Welding the final Long custom truss.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.