Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Paintedrhino
Just bought a 73’ 914 with vin# 4732915040 and engine # ec040007. Is this a number matching car? If not what is this engine and what is it out of. I love the car and it’s fun to drive. Looking at it closer now though I’m seeing some issues.
ndfrigi
Welcome to 914world! About the engine code you have. I think it is a 1.8. 73 should only have been 1.7 or 2.0 engine.
But it is okay since several members here does not have matching numbers like those who did conversions.
You never know if your engine has been rebuilt to higher HP.
Paintedrhino
Thanks glad to be here. Does it affect the value? Also I see fiberglass texture in the floor pan and in the trunk. Was this ever done in the original build or do I have fiberglass used as rust patches?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Paintedrhino @ Sep 23 2018, 07:49 PM) *

Thanks glad to be here. Does it affect the value? Also I see fiberglass texture in the floor pan and in the trunk. Was this ever done in the original build or do I have fiberglass used as rust patches?

The cockpit floor has the rubber kind (others call it tar) from factory for sound proofing. maybe you should take some pictures and share it here on your thread.
For the value, if your car is not stock anymore and has some modification, probably thus not really affect the value. But offcourse depends who buy your car in the future.

mepstein
Matching numbers, date codes and milage is a way we mentally imprison ourselves buy making or keeping our cars to a standard set by others.

I'm way more impressed by Clay and Betty's 400K mile car than my 38K one. They have had 362K more miles of fun and enjoyment.
davep
EC040007 would be a 1975MY 1.8 engine case. The only fibreglass would be in the removable roof. Sometimes you will see a fabric texture on the floorboard tar from the carpets. However if there is no sound dampening tar on the floor, then repairs are highly likely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.