Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RRVI bound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
troth
My 914 departed Tampa, FL early yesterday morning, bound for Monterrey, CA 2727 miles away.

The plan is for my dad and one of his buddies (Chris) to drive there this week. I am going to fly out to meet them on Thursday. Driving back Sunday afternoon. Plans have been developed for the last year, but of course are subject to the car's temperament!

Click to view attachment

Chris is a real gadget guy. He wanted no less than three GPS's for the trip. Dad prefers his Triple A road maps. They compromised on two GPS's (one for driver, one for navigator), a phone mount, a dash cam, and the Triple A maps for backup. Chris made up a nice mount for the GPS and phones, plus power ports for all of the above devices. It slides right into the ashtray mount.

Click to view attachment
troth
All packed, frunk and trunk. Plenty of tools, spares, and fresh t shirts. You wouldn't be able to fit all these goodies in a 911. Have the one cooler, packed but I'll be flying out with an extra that I'll pack all my luggage in. So will have plenty of refreshments at the track.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
troth
Made it to Nawlins yesterday ahead of schedule. They had time to spend at the WWII museum in the afternoon and gumbo on Bourbon St for dinner. This is the cleanest this car has ever been. Clean enough so you can tell how shitty the respray is from 15 ft away! But that's ok, if that paint was flawless a trip like this wouldn't be considered. These cars were made for driving, not for looking at!

Click to view attachment

I just received this update this morning. I think it's to keep dad's sweaty thighs off my vinyl. They are planning for a stop in Texas tonight.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
wow, that is a long trip...we drove from CA to Florida years ago in a comfy F150 Supercrew, wouldn't want to do it again smile.gif

Drive save and have fun!
troth
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 24 2018, 11:05 AM) *

wow, that is a long trip...we drove from CA to Florida years ago in a comfy F150 Supercrew, wouldn't want to do it again smile.gif

Drive save and have fun!

I have done 2.5 round trips from my home in Connecticut to school in Florida and then daily drive this car to work 3-4 days per week in Florida heat and humidity. I don't understand how anybody could complain about having dealer installed AC. I am used to taking the beating at this point. Always keep a fresh t-shirt and stick of deodorant in the car. I tried to warn them but they seem to be having fun so far.
76-914
smilie_pokal.gif They don't really feel right till your running 80mph +. Here is to a great road trip for your Dad! beerchug.gif
troth
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 24 2018, 11:33 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif They don't really feel right till your running 80mph +. Here is to a great road trip for your Dad! beerchug.gif

Judging by the max speed on the GPS they are keeping it well over 80. Maybe having a little too much fun. About to enter Sherif Buford T. Justice's jurisdiction.

Click to view attachment

Not bad for a stock 1.8 on flat ground hauling a pair of fat asses.
SirAndy
QUOTE(troth @ Sep 24 2018, 12:04 PM) *
Judging by the max speed on the GPS they are keeping it well over 80

They could have waited 2 more miles to take that picture ...

poke.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 24 2018, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(troth @ Sep 24 2018, 12:04 PM) *
Judging by the max speed on the GPS they are keeping it well over 80

poke.gif

Click to view attachment
flmont
My 74' 2.0 loved 80 plus where ever we went !!
914-300Hemi
Safe travels and I would have elected for a radar detector instead of multiple GPS devices. driving.gif

See you there
Dtjaden
Safe travels - I look forward to seeing you there (fortunately for me it’s only a 50 mile drive).
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
seanery
Safe travels to your dad and friend, what a great road trip for them!!
76-914
And tell the two they need to start posting up some pic's from the trip. beerchug.gif
troth
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 24 2018, 03:21 PM) *

poke.gif

Forgive them they are not real teeners and have been shamed as such. They live vicariously through me.

They said with some of Chris' family in Texas yesterday night. I think they had a little bit too much to drink because they got a late start this morning.

Here they are filling up at world famous Buc-ees. Used one of 100 pumps. Definitely in Texas.

Click to view attachment

This was the stable mate for the night.

Click to view attachment
troth
They are planning on doing 935 miles today. The itinerary has them at Lumberyard Brewing Company in Flagstaff, AZ for dinner tonight.

The caption for this one was "Not this time JW" bootyshake.gif

Click to view attachment

SOT here is Chris' 951 at RRIII in Daytona. I remember riding in the backseat for one of the parade laps. As soon as we hit triple digits coming around the banking, the intake hose on the turbo popped off. No big deal, just needed to tighten down the hose clamp. But this was while pulled over on the front straight of Daytona International Speedway! It has not ran for a few years now. In true teener fashion I helped him put it on jack stands a few months ago, and it hasn't been touched since. So this is why they had to take my car. mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Bonus 914 content in that one. I'm told that's Steve Gaglione's famous Sierra Biege car in the background.

Driving through the windmills and oil rigs now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(troth @ Sep 25 2018, 12:46 PM) *

Here they are filling up at world famous Buc-ees. Used one of 100 pumps. Definitely in Texas.

Click to view attachment

Welcome to Texas. Don't eat the frito burrito from that place. icon8.gif
troth
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 25 2018, 02:30 PM) *

Welcome to Texas. Don't eat the frito burrito from that place. icon8.gif

Don't worry, lunch was at Whataburger

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Ya’ll have fun. Eric Shea and Larry passed through here last night and decided to continue on to Tahoe since the lot security at their hotel was nonexistent. I’m told they’re at the event now though.
jeffdon
My car will not be going, but I am going to be there with a few 911 folks. Looking forward to meeting some of ya'll.
ClayPerrine
We are leaving for the airport as soon as Betty finishes getting ready.

See y'all there.
troth
Getting their kicks

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
troth
Car is handling the altitude well. 7000 ft is a little different than here in Gainesville, FL.

Click to view attachment

I think that's a real testament to the stock L-Jet fuel injection. I don't think you'd be running that consistently with D-Jet and definitely not with carbs. Not to mention the weather here in FL is 90 degrees and 80% humidity. It was 42 degrees in Flagstaff this morning and the car started right up with a touch of the key.

Speaking of weather. Just their luck, it was good the entire trip until just outside Albuquerque there was a 30 minute downpour. We thought the desert wasn't supposed to get any rain!

Click to view attachment

Car is still running well. 1850 miles in, the car has needed less than one quart of oil.

They'll be making stops in the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam today.
DRPHIL914
fun trip! I would love to do a road trip like that someday! Keep up the updates and add some pics of Rennsport when you get there
troth
Had a long day in the wild west and Grand Canyon yesterday.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Drove over the Hoover Dam later in the afternoon.

Click to view attachment

The goal for yesterday was to make it to Paso Robles. They're still trying to make that goal as I type! This pic at the scene of James Dean's crash is from less than 30 minutes ago.

Click to view attachment

I'm sitting in MCO now waiting to board. See you guys later today! aktion035.gif
troth
Arrived!

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
I stopped by the car and talked to both the driver and navigator. smile.gif They were surprised to hear that the story was also posted on the World; they only knew about Rennlist, evidently...

--DD
Mueller
Met Jake Raby today for the 1st time, saw and said hi to Pete Stout , have not seen him 15 years or so. Hope to meet more 914 owners in the next few days.
pete000
Nice drive I commend you guys, I get tired driving my 914 after an hour !
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 27 2018, 08:15 PM) *

I stopped by the car and talked to both the driver and navigator. smile.gif They were surprised to hear that the story was also posted on the World; they only knew about Rennlist, evidently...

--DD

I asked the same and the owner told me they only posted on Rennlist. Might be the co-pilot? Truly awesome! Cross country in 4 days!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Sep 29 2018, 08:43 AM) *

--DD

I asked the same and the owner told me they only posted on Rennlist. Might be the co-pilot? Truly awesome! Cross country in 4 days!

looks like owner of the the car is a world member and has been posting this, it was driven by his father and friend from Florida , he actually flew out to meet them later— see post #1 for those details. cool story and trip!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Sep 29 2018, 08:43 AM) *

--DD

The first time I saw that car it couldn't be driven one mile safely. Ed and I were only given three weeks to get it ready for the new owner to drive it from CT to FL.
This summer we made final adjustments to the L-jet fuel mixture because it was still running a little lean.
So I received regular updates by text from the driver and got to see some of the pics posted by Tom even before he posted them here. beer.gif

Check out the special muffler I made for Tom. piratenanner.gif
troth
Did our parade lap and then left the track just after that this morning. What a great event and weekend. Was cool to meet many of you guys.

Dad and I stopping at In-N-Out for lunch now. Doing pretty well so far. Lots of porsches on the road.
pete000
Drive safe !
Jamie
These 2 guys will have many tales to tell after having made this drive! shades.gif
AZBanks
Safe travels home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.