Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Woohoo, found a GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davep
So, I'm chatting with a friend, and he says so-n-so has his GT up for sale. I followed up on that, and got to chat with the owner. A very early VIN, and chassis # 8. This car came over in May of 1970, probably in the same shipment as the Richie Ginther car. It's first IMSA race was in 1971 and ran against Brumos #59.

The GT's had a long lead time, so this one was built from a regular car and the kit. Even the kit was difficult to get. A 906 engine was used, not a upgraded original. In some races the car ran with a windshield, and in others ran with the Richie Ginther screen. The A pillar was made removeable as the Speedster was.

I hope to get the chance to see the car in person and take some photos.
GWN7
cool
beerchug.gif
michel richard
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jun 16 2005, 05:37 PM)
cool
beerchug.gif

Will you try to buy the car ? If not, can you pass contact info along ? Not sure I would be a serious buyer, but if the car is already in Canada, I might think about it.

Michel Richard
spare time toys
QUOTE (davep @ Jun 16 2005, 08:34 PM)
In some races the car ran with a windshield, and in others ran with the Richie Ginther screen. The A pillar was made removeable as the Speedster was.

I hope to get the chance to see the car in person and take some photos.

Get photos of how the windshield is done. I think I would like to duplicate that feature. idea.gif
Joe Bob
Yeah...I'm doing a removable windscreen on my 356....
sixnotfour
Is it this one ? owned by a Canadian, A fellow here ,WA . owned the corvette and wanted the 914 untill he heard the price.
davep
Yes, that is the car. Finally got to spend a few hours looking at it. The car is an old workhorse, not a concours car. Nothing quite like a factory GT. It was built with a fuel cell according to the prevailing rules of the time. That meant that the oil cooler setup in the front was unlike anything the usual GT's had. In fact, there is a lot about the car that is different from the usual GT's. However, it was raced very successfully against the other cars on the scene. It was only when the 2.8L RSR came out that it was non-competative.

I borrowed the extensive documentation on the car so that I could go over the racing records. Very interesting history. The car is for sale, but given its pedigree, it is not cheap. You can contact me for more info.
serge914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

You can't look at a GT without taking pictures.
DrifterJay
pictures...hungry for pictures!
spare time toys
QUOTE (DrifterJay @ Jul 10 2005, 03:44 PM)
pictures...hungry for pictures!

Get your head back down. Nice to see you pop up though. So you going to bring back a couple million Dinar?
SirAndy
QUOTE (serge914 @ Jul 10 2005, 09:17 AM)
You can't look at a GT without taking pictures.

agree.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
davep
Originally canary, then blue, now light ivory.
davep
Front fenders are steel, rears are glass.
davep
Original (signed) lid.
davep
Fuel cell and oil cooler.
davep
Front end. The engine runs so sweet. Most photos are on my 35mm, so I have to await processing.
davep
I learned a lot about racing setup as well. Race settings are nothing like street settings. His GT1 uses 1800 lb/in rear springs.
Red-Beard
Soooooo, how much are we talking? I might sell my house for the right car...
serge914
It is quite amazing that this car is lying so close to me and I never heard of it or saw it on a race track.

I am affraid that my wife wont let me sell the house sad.gif
Aaron Cox
interesting steel/glass flare combo...

also - not the satndard fuel tank or oil cooler setup. too cool!

american racing torque thrsut style wheels.... big money these days wink.gif minilites on the back.... cool!!!\

AA
Dead Air
QUOTE (davep @ Jul 10 2005, 03:19 PM)
Front end. The engine runs so sweet. Most photos are on my 35mm, so I have to await processing.

[QUOTE]
I want it, I want it, I drooley.gif want it!!
avendlerdp
Sorry to hijack but a quick auestion. Those American racing rims are worth a lot? I have a set of 4 15x7's that car on a car I bought a bit ago. Had no idea they had a lot of value. Does anyone have any more info?

Thanks
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (avendlerdp @ Jul 10 2005, 09:11 PM)
Sorry to hijack but a quick auestion. Those American racing rims are worth a lot? I have a set of 4 15x7's that car on a car I bought a bit ago. Had no idea they had a lot of value. Does anyone have any more info?

Thanks

500 a set or so.....

orange v8 car right?
rick 918-S
Holy Crap! ohmy.gif wub.gif
davep
open configuration
mudfoot76
QUOTE (davep @ Jul 10 2005, 10:56 AM)
The car is an old workhorse, not a concours car.

Compared to photos of other cars I've seen on this site that are supposed daily drivers, that GT is a concours champion laugh.gif
davep
Well hey, you would be hard pressed to find any rust on the car. However there are a lot of extra holes where things were mounted at one time but not now. There are many signs of body repairs. You could take the car to a track and be very competative if your level of skill was equal to the cars capability. This car begs to be driven.
davep
How is this for an early date code. I thought someone said there was only 25 built in 1969.
914werke
cant really tell does that indicate a the 33rd car in the production run?
davep
Yes, #33.
A slight modification for the 906 throttle linkage.
davep
And odd color code designation. 29 is canary, but why repeat it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.