Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lift Tips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I've owned my lift for 2 years come November and along the way I've found a few things worth sharing. Feel free to add your own tips here especially if they involve safety.

1) I took almost a year to realize that I wouldn't be upright under my car while working like you see in the advertisements. Oh sure, I do some work upright but for the most part it is very uncomfortable and results in a stiff neck. So, raised appx 2' I use my creeper as it is much more comfortable to work while laying than upright.

2) It was another year before I learned that the best benefit of having this lift was to raise the car appx 2ft off the ground so I don't need to bend over for hours at a time resulting in a back ache.

3) Clear the area below before lowering your lift. Twice!

4) Clear the area above before raising.

5) Jack Extensions - My MaxJax comes with 4" lift extensions to give you a little more headroom however these can't be fitted beneath the 914 because it sits so low. I need to lift it a few inch's with the lift then lower it upon blocks. Only then is there enough room to insert the extensions. I can't use wood blocks under the longs to hold it higher because I have fiberglass valance covers. So I placed blocks beneath the wheels instead. This doesn't work worth a Continental Damn because of the 914's suspension. As I lowered the car it would walk to the side if the fronts touched ground 1st of it would walk forward if I'd left the Ebrake on or left it in gear. A couple of times I thought the tire would slip off one of the blocks as it was lowered. I cured that yesterday. HF had the 12"x18" furniture dollies on sale for $7 so I now have 4 of those to place beneath the wheels when using the extensions. Cheaper than the purpose made dollies that sell for about $40 each and rated at 1000 lbs. Much safer now.

6) Don't leave your car on the lift unnecessarily especially if you live in Earth Quake regions.

7) Use the lift's safety catch's or safety lock outs. beerchug.gif
Jamie
Don't forget to place an oil catch pan under a 914 engine if you store it up and have another car below. Last winter I did forget and then discovered that Rotella 20W-50 had been dripping on my Cayman for most of the "off" season. There was heavy oil in all the rear window seals, on the top and trunk hatch cover, and many scrubbing sessions with Dawn detergent and a toothbrush were required to get most of it out of the seam areas. I still see an occasional oil slick after driving in rain, and then more scrubbing. headbang.gif
dcheek
I've had my 2 post lift for 4 years now. I would like to think that I know how to use it (safely) by now. I remember how unnerving it was to to lift my pride and joy off the ground for the first time. It is even a little creepy (pardon the pun) to walk under something suspended in the air that weighs over a ton. Time has made me complacent with the fact that I installed the lift myself and turn a wrench on all my cars.

Fast forward to this weekend. My '66 VW Westfalia Camper has been on the lift for 2 months now repairing brakes, tie rods, valve adjustment, along with painting/detailing all the parts I took off. I'm greasing the front end when I catch a glimpse of this:
Click to view attachment
Apparently the lift pad stuck to the crossmember and, when I brought the car down it shifted upon lifting. I assumed that everything lined up since I didn't move the car or the lift pads - WRONG !!!!

ALWAYS CHECK ALL 4 LIFT PADS EVERY TIME YOU LOWER THE CAR AND LIFT AGAIN !!!!

Dave
AZBanks
Do you have pictures of #5?

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 24 2018, 10:06 AM) *

I've owned my lift for 2 years come November and along the way I've found a few things worth sharing. Feel free to add your own tips here especially if they involve safety.

1) I took almost a year to realize that I wouldn't be upright under my car while working like you see in the advertisements. Oh sure, I do some work upright but for the most part it is very uncomfortable and results in a stiff neck. So, raised appx 2' I use my creeper as it is much more comfortable to work while laying than upright.

2) It was another year before I learned that the best benefit of having this lift was to raise the car appx 2ft off the ground so I don't need to bend over for hours at a time resulting in a back ache.

3) Clear the area below before lowering your lift. Twice!

4) Clear the area above before raising.

5) Jack Extensions - My MaxJax comes with 4" lift extensions to give you a little more headroom however these can't be fitted beneath the 914 because it sits so low. I need to lift it a few inch's with the lift then lower it upon blocks. Only then is there enough room to insert the extensions. I can't use wood blocks under the longs to hold it higher because I have fiberglass valance covers. So I placed blocks beneath the wheels instead. This doesn't work worth a Continental Damn because of the 914's suspension. As I lowered the car it would walk to the side if the fronts touched ground 1st of it would walk forward if I'd left the Ebrake on or left it in gear. A couple of times I thought the tire would slip off one of the blocks as it was lowered. I cured that yesterday. HF had the 12"x18" furniture dollies on sale for $7 so I now have 4 of those to place beneath the wheels when using the extensions. Cheaper than the purpose made dollies that sell for about $40 each and rated at 1000 lbs. Much safer now.

6) Don't leave your car on the lift unnecessarily especially if you live in Earth Quake regions.

7) Use the lift's safety catch's or safety lock outs. beerchug.gif

iankarr
This is a great idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it!

I totally agree that the ideal height range is 18" - 2 feet. Working overhead seems like it would be easier, but it isn't.

Tips I'd add...

– The first time you lift your car, you'll feel stupid for not buying one sooner.

– Before lifting, raise the pads to an inch or so before they make contact with the car, and adjust as needed. It's amazing how things don't line up the way you think they will.

– Where possible, always use jackstands as a backup in case the lfit fails. I like to put them under the engine bar and a-arms. (AND REMEMBER TO REMOVE THEM WHEN LOWERING wink.gif

– Only use approved lifting points.

– Put all tools you think you may need on the ground near where you're working. And still, you'll find yourself having to get up because you forgot something.

– Always keep your cell phone handy, in case you need help under the car.

– Most importantly, be safe!
mepstein
Raise the lift 6” and bounce both ends of the car before you raise it higher

The weight distribution of the car can shift when you add or remove parts
KELTY360
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Sep 24 2018, 01:01 PM) *

This is a great idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it!

I totally agree that the ideal height range is 18" - 2 feet. Working overhead seems like it would be easier, but it isn't.

Tips I'd add...

– The first time you lift your car, you'll feel stupid for not buying one sooner.

– Before lifting, raise the pads to an inch or so before they make contact with the car, and adjust as needed. It's amazing how things don't line up the way you think they will.

– Where possible, always use jackstands as a backup in case the lfit fails. I like to put them under the engine bar and a-arms. (AND REMEMBER TO REMOVE THEM WHEN LOWERING wink.gif

– Only use approved lifting points.

– Put all tools you think you may need on the ground near where you're working. And still, you'll find yourself having to get up because you forgot something.

– Always keep your cell phone handy, in case you need help under the car.

– Most importantly, be safe!

This pretty much nails it, except I like working on a rolling stool instead of laying on a creeper. That requires a working height of about 3'. Being able to walk upright under the car is great for inspecting stuff. It's easy enough to lower for working on it. Having a lift makes detailing wheels and tires a breeze....truly decadent.
bulitt
Use the recommended fluid in you lift. Most will work but some will eat your seals...
Mark Henry
I use hockey pucks, I center the pad in the middle of the donut then center a hockey puck on the pad. Absolutely no damage to the jack points from the lift when I use pucks.

I still get use of my jack stands if storing for a long time, I lift the car, the lower it on the stands (with hockey pucks) then I can add all my extensions to get the car as high as I can o the lift.
mepstein
I use a lift so I don’t have to use a creeper. I hate working on my back and having rust fall into my face. It’s also faster to walk over to grab a tool than to get up off the floor and then back down. But to each his own.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 25 2018, 08:14 AM) *

I use a lift so I don’t have to use a creeper. I hate working on my back and having rust fall into my face. It’s also faster to walk over to grab a tool than to get up off the floor and then back down. But to each his own.

I use a lift because I'm too fuching old to be laying on cold concrete. laugh.gif
JeffBowlsby
Just saw this 2 car lift. Didn't know they existed. Space for 2 914s if you have the headroom!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/fod/d/doub...6712631167.html

90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 25 2018, 05:28 AM) *

I use a lift because I'm too fuching old to be laying on cold concrete. laugh.gif

This^^^
jmitro
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 25 2018, 07:09 AM) *

I use hockey pucks, I center the pad in the middle of the donut then center a hockey puck on the pad. Absolutely no damage to the jack points from the lift when I use pucks.

or 6" sections of 2x4 wood
michael7810
I have a mid rise and didn’t realize how great it was until I got this
Click to view attachment
With a flat creeper I could only raise the car 12” or it was too high to work on. Now I can raise it 30” and comfortably work.
rgolia
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Oct 20 2018, 07:40 PM) *

I have a mid rise and didn’t realize how great it was until I got this
Click to view attachment
With a flat creeper I could only raise the car 12” or it was too high to work on. Now I can raise it 30” and comfortably work.

I have the same and it is great. Head clears the bottom of the car without the extensions in place. I have a rolling tool tray so things don’t roll around on the floor.
carr914
my Tip, know where any blunt points are on the lift and where your head will hit them!

any cut on your head bleeds like crazy!

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 21 2018, 06:55 AM) *

my Tip, know where any blunt points are on the lift and where your head will hit them!

any cut on your head bleeds like crazy!

Yep! I'm glad I still have a full head of hair...I'd look like shit with a shaved head and all the dings and scars I have on my noodle.
I've even though about wearing a helmet under the lift headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.