Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement oil sender question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgraves
My '74 2.0 914 has a 911 dash instrument panel with a Druck Pressure gauge. I have confirmed that my oil pressure sender unit has failed. I'm assuming that a Druck oil pressure gauge and sender is not standard factory equipment for a 914. How do I know what sender to buy?

Thanks, guys. I really miss my pressure gauge not working. Dan
914Sixer
You need the 911 sender for the gauge. Look over at the Pelican 911 section, think there is a cross reference table there. What is the part number on the one you have? It should tell you the Kpa or lbs. Your info should all be on the sender.
tailwind22
I am in the process of installing Auto Atlanta's oil pressure gauge that is a direct fit in the center console holes. I spoke to them this morning regarding the sender. Yes, a 911 style sender is required. They also have an extension hose as the idiot light sender location is not friendly to installing the larger 911 style sender. I suggest giving them a call unless you find a better solution here on the board.
dgraves
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 24 2018, 04:49 PM) *

You need the 911 sender for the gauge. Look over at the Pelican 911 section, think there is a cross reference table there. What is the part number on the one you have? It should tell you the Kpa or lbs. Your info should all be on the sender.

Thank you, Mark. Any idea where the part number might be. I'm hoping I don't have to pull it off yet...still enjoying a few more days before snow in Montana.
914Sixer
I will go to the warehouse and get a vdo sender and take some pictures late tomorrow. I think I sold the only two I had. Readily available though.
bdstone914
QUOTE(dgraves @ Sep 24 2018, 05:58 PM) *

Thank you, Mark. Any idea where the part number might be. I'm hoping I don't have to pull it off yet...still enjoying a few more days before snow in Montana.

Get the part number off of the gauge. It is seen thru the glass in the very outer edge. With that you can match to the correct sender. What is the range?
Bruce
@914sixer
@dgraves
bdstone914
Get the part number off of the gauge. It is seen thru the glass in the very outer edge. With that you can match to the correct sender. What is the range?
Bruce
@914sixer
@dgraves

Where is the sender mounted. Got a picture. One or two pole. Part number is stamped on three of the hex sides on the nut. They are often remote mounted. How did you test to know it is the sender? Ground the gauge wire and it should peg the gauge.
Dave_Darling
Does your 74 still have a four-cylinder motor in it? If so, the sender is an aftermarket VDO piece. Likely a "dual sender" with a couple of wire connections; often at the end of a hose from the stock "idiot light" sender location near the distributor, and most often mounted to the fan shroud or the engine tin near the coil.

Note that "Druck" is German for "Pressure". So the "Druck Press" gauge is just saying pressure in two languages.

You will need to match the sender to the gauge. The common sender ranges are 0-80 PSI and 0-150 PSI.

Pelican carries both of those, BTW, and probably most aircooled VW places do as well.

--DD
dgraves
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 24 2018, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(dgraves @ Sep 24 2018, 05:58 PM) *

Bruce
@914sixer
@dgraves

Bruce, the range of the gauge is 1 to 5. I can't see a number through the gauge. Will I have to look on the back side of the cluster?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
0-80 lb and the extension hose, then you are all set
porschetub
From memory the 1 to 5bar unit wasn't used for long on ROW 911's, so of course the 80psi sender is the correct one,shop around the senders can range from crazy expensive to reasonable,I'am running a 150psi VDO dual function one that has the higher pressure warning of 10psi,good peace of mind solution IMO.
Bought mine on ebay for $35 some time ago and have had no issues,only thing I didnt like was the plastic thumbscrews so replaced them with small nylock nuts.
dgraves
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 25 2018, 02:18 PM) *

From memory the 1 to 5bar unit wasn't used for long on ROW 911's, so of course the 80psi sender is the correct one,shop around the senders can range from crazy expensive to reasonable,I'am running a 150psi VDO dual function one that has the higher pressure warning of 10psi,good peace of mind solution IMO.
Bought mine on ebay for $35 some time ago and have had no issues,only thing I didnt like was the plastic thumbscrews so replaced them with small nylock nuts.

Here's a picture of the sender. 80psi or 150psi?
Curious on the Druck gauge the range is 1 to 5, how does this range relate to the 80 or 15psi?Click to view attachment
jcd914
QUOTE(dgraves @ Sep 25 2018, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 25 2018, 02:18 PM) *

From memory the 1 to 5bar unit wasn't used for long on ROW 911's, so of course the 80psi sender is the correct one ,shop around the senders can range from crazy expensive to reasonable,

Here's a picture of the sender. 80psi or 150psi?
Curious on the Druck gauge the range is 1 to 5, how does this range relate to the 80 or 15psi?

ddgraves provided the answer.

Your gauge is 0 to 5 bar which is roughly 0 to 80 psi.
Approx 15 psi per each bar.

Jim
porschetub
If its a VDO unit it will be marked on the hex usually the rated working range and the vdo part number,other brands sometimes aren't marked with anything but a part number.
I changed mine to a better setup for me but mainly as the one that came on my motor (911) was a no brand of unknown condition ,I always match sender and gauge because in testing I have found different readings with mis- matched brands,VDO senders are very reliable in my experience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.