Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car-B-Q
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
sad.gif
VaccaRabite
That sucks. Looks like that was a nice car.

Know anything about what happened?

Zach
mepstein
It’s one of our shop cars. Actually was really nice paint and a hot rod engine. Backfire through the carbs, fire started, 30 seconds and it was gone.
IronHillRestorations
Dee Bryson put a Blazecut on his 6. Not a bad idea, and considering the possibilities, cheap insurance.

https://www.blazecutusa.com/collections/bla...ut-for-vehicles
mepstein
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 24 2018, 08:31 PM) *

Dee Bryson put a Blazecut on his 6. Not a bad idea, and considering the possibilities, cheap insurance.

Yea, Ben and I were talking about that today. Cheap insurance.

No insurance on the bug. sad.gif
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 24 2018, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 24 2018, 08:31 PM) *

Yea, Ben and I were talking about that today. Cheap insurance.

No insurance on the bug. sad.gif

Mark yup thats the "tube fire supression" system I was talking about.. Need to buy some at some point..
EdwardBlume
That's a bad day. My condolences...

Build another one. Great shop car.
mepstein
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Sep 25 2018, 08:26 AM) *

That's a bad day. My condolences...

Build another one. Great shop car.

We didn’t build it. This one came from another shop in a lot of cars that we purchased.
nditiz1
This is sad.

Looks to be a 70-72. My first was 72 super beetle. Now I own 3 (2 non running) biggrin.gif

I thought the fires were from the cracked fuel filter, cracked fuel lines, fuel lines coming unhooked and dumping fuel inside the engine bay onto the distributor. How did the backfire up the carb cause the fire? Looking how to prevent this on my own beetle, hopefully never.
jrblackbox
30 seconds? That went up quick.
poorsche914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 24 2018, 08:11 PM) *
Backfire through the carbs, fire started, 30 seconds and it was gone.

I had one do that. A balanced/blueprinted euro-spec 2.0 with dual carbs. My sister was driving it (I was driving a Lotus Europa I had just bought). Almost to a friend's house and I looked back and noticed she was falling back. I turned around to see what was going on and that's when I saw flames coming out the engine bay blink.gif Luckily had a fire extinguisher and put it out. Insurance paid for a partial rebuild.

driving.gif
mepstein
I wasn't there when it caught on fire but if you've ever thrown a match to some gasoline, you know it goes up fast. Really really fast.
Chris H.
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 25 2018, 07:42 AM) *

This is sad.

Looks to be a 70-72. My first was 72 super beetle. Now I own 3 (2 non running) biggrin.gif

I thought the fires were from the cracked fuel filter, cracked fuel lines, fuel lines coming unhooked and dumping fuel inside the engine bay onto the distributor. How did the backfire up the carb cause the fire? Looking how to prevent this on my own beetle, hopefully never.

Yes if the deck lid and taillights are correct that is a '72. Horseshoe tail lights, 4 vents on the lid. Too bad it burned up. Hope no one was hurt!
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 26 2018, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 25 2018, 07:42 AM) *

This is sad.

Yes if the deck lid and taillights are correct that is a '72. Horseshoe tail lights, 4 vents on the lid. Too bad it burned up. Hope no one was hurt!

Nobody hurt, thank goodness.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 25 2018, 08:42 AM) *

This is sad.

Likely it had one of these issues and the backfire was just the ignition point.
Also cheap fuel pumps where the pressed in tube/nipple pops out, loose carb tops and fittings, stuck floats, etc.
euro911
That sucks, Mark sad.gif

I know all about the fuel hose tubes on the mechanical fuel pumps. When replacing the hoses on some pumps, the tubes pulled right out blink.gif ... I ended up carefully dimpling the area around tubes and they stayed in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.