Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Shift Coupling bushing replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
I'm going to replace my shifter coupling or "knuckle bushings" as 914rubber refers to them on my 72 that I'm converting to side shift. I found this video from Mark at Original customs on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0I5HOBvQbg

My question is mine has a roll pin that is not shown in the video. I have roll pin punches so I figured no problem but the hole the roll pin is pressed into does not go all the way through so I can't just knock the roll pin out. I thought I could use a small extractor and maybe twist it a little and pull it up a little and remove it. Unfortunately, my smallest extractor is broken so I couldn't try that. I thought about drilling it out and drilling all the way through so in the future I could drive the pin out easier but unless I can drill it exactly straight I'm afraid I'll have "slop". Why does mine have a roll pin that the video doesn't show? It definitely looks factory. Here's what I'm dealing with and I apologize profusely for the blurry pix.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Has anybody seen this or have any experience/ideas? I should have rotated the coupling so you can see the "bottom" picture better. It definitely does not go through.....

Thanks in advance,Erik
Mikey914
Not stock. Why it's there is a DAPO decided that it would help it stay together. Drilling is probably going to be what you have to do. Sorry to break he bad news.

You don't have to go all the way through, just enough to allow the pin to slide out.
Then again with a big enough press it may press it's way through, but I;d try drilling 1st.
914bub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 24 2018, 10:10 PM) *

Not stock. Why it's there is a DAPO decided that it would help it stay together. Drilling is probably going to be what you have to do. Sorry to break he bad news.

You don't have to go all the way through, just enough to allow the pin to slide out.
Then again with a big enough press it may press it's way through, but I;d try drilling 1st.

Mark
Thanks for the reply. Since the hole doesn't go all the way through, all the pressing in the world isn't going to get it out! Weird because if it isn't stock somebody did a professional job of drilling and pinning it. So I assume the pin that passes through the "knuckle bushings" should be a tight/press fit through the rod that extends toward the transmission? I'll try to carefully drill the roll pin and if the larger pin that presses into the rod is sloppy I'll look for a new rod or coupler.

Thanks, again Mark, can't wait to get my order. Sounds like your improved knuckle bushings knocked it out of the park,..... Per usual!
Olympic 914
If the pin is loose a common fix is to take a chisel and put a few marks around where it presses in. not where the bushings ride. then it will press in securely.

But if you have to drill out the roll pin, there will be a hole you could just insert another roll pin into. that will work also. Just drill it all the way through to make it easy to remove the next time.

When driving the pin out, do not put pressure on the aluminum coupler, it will break.
914bub
Olympic. I know what you mean. I fix electric motors for a living and have had to "prick" end bells yo keep bearings tight in a pinch. I'll keep that in mind.

FINALLY got the roll pin drilled out and got the pin between the coupler and shift rod, out. What a PITA! Whoever installed that did a fantastic job of locating and drilling it. It looked factory. I've also never run into such a stubborn roll pin. I swear it was hardened or something. Broke a drill bit and used a tiny carbide grinding bit to get past that.

My side shift conversion has become a nightmare. Hopefully I'm getting closer!
Dave_Darling
There may be some confusion about pins, here.

There is a solid pin that runs through the middle of the plastic bushings and through a hole in the end of the rod. The pin goes all the way through, the hole is not "blind".

Your blurry photo seems to show the end of a roll pin going into the bottom of the coupler, and presumably into a blind hole drilled partway through the rod. The intent apparently being to hold the solid pin in place.

Some PO or mechanic did that. You're going to have to pull it out somehow, probably by drilling. That'll be No D*mn Fun At All, I'm thinking.

Might be worthwhile to look around for a rear shift rod that hasn't been messed up like that one. Maybe post in the for sale/wanted section?

--DD
914bub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 26 2018, 02:00 PM) *

There may be some confusion about pins, here.

There is a solid pin that runs through the middle of the plastic bushings and through a hole in the end of the rod. The pin goes all the way through, the hole is not "blind".

Your blurry photo seems to show the end of a roll pin going into the bottom of the coupler, and presumably into a blind hole drilled partway through the rod. The intent apparently being to hold the solid pin in place.

Some PO or mechanic did that. You're going to have to pull it out somehow, probably by drilling. That'll be No D*mn Fun At All, I'm thinking.

Might be worthwhile to look around for a rear shift rod that hasn't been messed up like that one. Maybe post in the for sale/wanted section?

--DD

Dave
Thanks for the response. I wasn't talking about the pin that goes through the bushings but an actual roll pin that was apparently added to the pin that goes through the bushings. Your right, what a pain in the ass it was. First I broke a hardened drill bit off in it and then got after it with a carbide grinding bit. It was like the damn roll pin was hardened. Crazy. Even crazier is the fact that the pin that DOES go through the bushings seem to be a nice tight press fit into the shift rod. Nothing like a DAPO overengineering things that work just fine! Soon as I get a package from 914rubber I should be going back together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.