Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wheel bearing puller/installer tool?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillC
I'm going to help a friend replace the rear wheel bearings in his '72 1.7. We want to do this without removing the rear arms.

Is the SIR Tools B-90P the correct puller kit for this bearing? Or is there a better tool for the job? I'd prefer to buy the proper tool for the job, rather than trying to piece something together from home depot.

Also, can anyone recommend a source for the rear wheel bearings? It looks like the correct part number is FAG 545495AD or Timken 5513106. Is that right?

I did search the forum, and that's where I found the bearing part numbers. However, did not find any mention of which puller to use.
AZ914
I don't know about that tool but I constructed my own out of all-thread and some nuts/washers/sockets.

I used the old Pelican Parts how-to thread to put it together:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...conversion2.htm
mgphoto
The SIR tool is the shiznit, for removal and install.
Put the bearings in the freezer overnight, just be careful to make sure the bearing is sliding in straight.
But I’m a tool junkie.
mepstein
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 25 2018, 01:03 PM) *

Put the bearings in the freezer overnight, just be careful to make sure the bearing is sliding in straight.
But I’m a tool junkie.

Some guys even heat up the trailing arm with a heat gun along with the bearing in the freezer.
You never regret buying good tools.
BillC
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 25 2018, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 25 2018, 01:03 PM) *

But I’m a tool junkie.

Some guys even heat up the trailing arm with a heat gun along with the bearing in the freezer.
You never regret buying good tools.

I agree about the value of buying good tools -- buy once, cry once.

I want to confirm that the SIR Tools B90P1 is the correct tool to buy, or if there's some other tool or set that would be better. All of the B90Px sets are rather expensive, and I just want to make sure it's the right one before I lay out that sort of $$$.

Also, there's a comment on the SIR website in the description of the B90P (here) that says "excluding the hubs of 914s". And, the B90P2 and B90P3 are apparently only for later-model Porsches.
mepstein
What do they list for early 70's Porsche 911. It's the same bearing as 914's.
pete000
This site mentions it is for the 914, your right and not cheap!!!

https://www.skywaytools.com/sir-tools-b-90-...orsche-r-r-kit/
euro911
B 90-P1 says 'front only' ...

911, 65-'73-,912,914 All (front wheel bearing only) '89+.

B 90-P is for rear bearings ...

Special kit designed for all 911, 912, 914, 924 928, 944, 968 & Boxster moels with S.R.W.B. and I.R.S. (Excluding 356, see tool #242-A)
rudedude
I have the B 90 kit pictured in one of the links and have done 914 and 911 rears with no problems
Cool914
I need to do this as well. Found this , cheap and simple.
bearing video
mepstein
It looks like the wheel bearings are available on pelican, ebay and amazon for about what we pay from our distributor to a couple dollars more. Part #999 053 035 00
bdstone914
For bearing extraction and installation I got a Harbor Freight set when is was marked down plug 20% off.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch...=bearing+puller

I paid like $50 for it. Just a bunch of discs and fine thread all assemble. I made a slide hammer tool to remove hubs. Works to pull the bearings too. Will get pictures later.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Cool914 @ Sep 25 2018, 06:12 PM) *

I need to do this as well. Found this , cheap and simple.
bearing video

Very crude set up. Not many come out that easy. I use a 5 pound slide hammer with proper pieces to contact the hub. A socket will beat up the back side of the hub center.
24" of 5/8" or 3/4" threadall and hardware to sandwich the hub or bearing assembly tightly. As he did it will beat the crap on the back of the hub.

You can rent for free a universal bearing puller kit and slide hammer from most FLAPS.
Justinp71
I know this thread is a little old, but using it to do my rear bearings. I built a slide hammer for removal from 1/2" all thread, 10lb weight and 2.5"? disc from a seal install kit to go behind the bearing. Came out fairly easy.

The new one slide right in after being in the freezer 3 days and using lithium grease, I also cleaning out the bearing housing with scotch brite.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.