Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alapone
I bought a set of Hella 500 driving light to mount on my car. I have checked through the garage forum and haven’t been able to find info.

I have no fog lights or grills in the front bumper. I would ideally like to mount the driving lights there. I have seen a couple guys here with that set up. It looks great and fills the empty space in the bumper.

I assume I will need custom mounts, or maybe someone here knows where I can buy a set?

I’m also going to need some guidance on the wiring. I installed a set of Piaa lights on my Subaru way back but I assume that was much more basic job with easy access and proximity to the battery.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
Alapone
Thanks for the response. Rennmetal is still out of business pretty sure. If anyone knows of another source please let me know.
DRPHIL914
came across this and decided to take a closer look at mounting driving lights along the front, in addition to the fogs in the grills, and I like those brackets from Rennenmetal but I cant find those anywhere on any search so I guess I will have to find something similar from hardware store. Google search for Rennenmetal does not turn up anything so probably right about it being out of business- couple references linked to a Miata site too, but either way, has to be something similar out there. I did find one adjustable bracket on Amazon from Hella, which would work but for $25 I think I can do better a the hardware store .
VaccaRabite
I made my mounts, pretty easy.

for the wiring, the car should have foglight wiring in the harness. Its just a matter of hooking them up. If the lights you are putting in are more powerful, consider running the stock wire to a relay,and then running a new wire to the lights from the battery.

Zach
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 26 2018, 09:35 AM) *

I made my mounts, pretty easy.

for the wiring, the car should have foglight wiring in the harness. Its just a matter of hooking them up. If the lights you are putting in are more powerful, consider running the stock wire to a relay,and then running a new wire to the lights from the battery.

Zach

Exactly - and if you use LED bulbs the draw would be plenty low as to not have to require additional wiring and relay. The stock bulbs in fogs now are the old ones and are 35w each. the new H3 are 55w, when I had my old BUB and 75 rectangle HElla lights they were H1 halogens and were 55w each, and didn't have any issue so if I mount the new Hella500's with the 55w bulbs I should be fine, but if I want to run driving light and fogs now we are talking too much wattage, again unless we modify by using LED bulbs. S o think what Zach is suggesting would be the way to go.
Alapone
This is all very helpful,

I have a 1975 that had the fogs in it before I backdated the bumpers. Safe to assume the wiring harness is for a 75, so if the H3 bulbs in my Hella's are the same 55w as the H1 bulbs that were in the original fog lights I should be ok to just use the original wires no relay?

Also Zach, how did you make your mounts, material, method etc?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Alapone @ Sep 26 2018, 11:29 AM) *

I have a 1975 that had the fogs in it before I backdated the bumpers. Safe to assume the wiring harness is for a 75, so if the H3 bulbs in my Hella's are the same 55w as the H1 bulbs that were in the original fog lights I should be ok to just use the original wires no relay?

yes, that is what I used, the existing fog light wires on my 75. , also now back dated so going with the other type of Hella, I have OEM early lights , but like I said, I am going to put the new Hella500 in that spot I think, so that's easy, but if I add the Hella 550driving lights on the bumper and keep the fogs in the oem location I will have to add separate wiring for those, and do what Zach suggests.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Alapone @ Sep 26 2018, 11:29 AM) *

IPB Image

Mine are a little different as I used Pilot driving lights and mounted them on the bumper. I was able to take the stock mounting bracket, turn it around, and weld (jbweld IIRC) a tab on to it to counteract the curve of the bumper.

IPB Image
Better pic, but before I had the offsets attached to the mounts to counteract the bumper curve.

Zach
Alapone
Hmm yea the lights I have mount with a bolt coming straight down out of the bottom, different than those. If anyone has dimensions on the rennmetal type of mount let me know.
Mark Henry
Don't know if this helps, but here's Demick's 193 pilot light instructions and it has a PDF for the brackets.

https://members.rennlist.com/demick/lights.html

There's also a link on the page that has instructions on how to wire the lights any way you want them to work.
I have mine wired to work anytime I pull the switch and I use the H3 pilot lights, stock wiring, as daytime running lights with no issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.