Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Sheetmetal for Steering rack 'hump' section
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
porsche914_73
Hi Gents/Gals:

I'm in need of the sheetmetal section that goes over the steering rack, right underneath the gas tank. Mine is heavily pitted and rusted in so many sections that I believe is better to transplant the whole thing.

The section Im referring to goes from the rear of the front trunk floor, over the steering rack, all the way back to where the front floors begin. Im hoping to replace the whole section across.

It is depicted as grayed-out (circled in red) on the restoration-design.com wireframe diagram attached

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

If you are wondering what happened this particular 914, the car sat indoors for 15+ years with some gas in the tank. The tank rusted and spilled the putrid gas on the section, eventually this plus humidity peeled the paint off and allowed it to rust beyond repair. Some folks told me that I'm better off junking and parting the car. I differ as the rest of the car is in good nick for a restoration. Just this section and the front trunk pan already have severe rust issues. Got a replacement gas tank and a brand new trunk floor, just need this to complete the front and continue with the rest.

One last thing, seller must be willing to ship via USPS (Fedex and UPS rates to my location are outrageous).

PM me if you have this section available.

Cheers
mepstein
Let me check my parts car. I can’t remember the condition of that section.
porsche914_73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 26 2018, 07:15 PM) *

Let me check my parts car. I can’t remember the condition of that section.

Thanks Mark:

FYI, another member already offered to help as well.

Also, I failed to mentioned that the 'hump' section should include the four suspension mount points. you know, where the steering rack crossbar mounts to. Those are pretty rotten on mine.

Please post or PM me pictures of what you have if you can.

Thanks to all.

Fred
Al Meredith
Fred, I too have a parts car that I can cut this piece out of . Let me know if your other deals don't come through. AL
mepstein
Mine is no good around the suspension mounts. A Cali guy would probably have better metal for you. Good luck with the restoration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.