Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good place to mount an aftermarket fuel pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Gentlemen, good afternoon. I know there is some debate as to putting the fuel pump here versus in the front of the car, but if I wanted to locate it in the rear of the car is this a good place?

?Click to view attachment
Shadowfax
I've got my Bosch pump on the rear firewall and haven't had any issues.
Tdskip
Thanks for the reply, that's where I was thinking but wasn't smart enough to include the picture I took. I've made that edit and you can now see the proposed location.
rhodyguy
You can make up a pigtail for the stock pump wire. Remove the stock plug end but save it with extra stock wires. For carbs use the jumper wire trick. Good to go.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it will mount in the stock position with the omega clamp buffered by a rubber pad as the original is "fatter" than the replacement. All you need is a late fuel filter and a 12mm fuel line
JFG
i'm sure i read that these are push pumps when i was researching my fitment. the pump need to be close to the tank

i had mine directly under the fuel tank but i have now fitted it next to the steering rack
Shadowfax
See Post #10 here. I mounted mine in a similar fashion. Your pic shows about the same location.
Chi-town
Most fuel pumps are not meant for a puller style mounting and will usually shorten their life span and may cause lower fuel pressure or volume.
GeorgeRud
Mount it up front under the steering rack with some rubber isolator mounts. You do have to run wires up to it, but it’s in a much cooler location. As far as pulling vs. pushing fuel, gravity will feed the fuel to the pump in either location unless the car is running on fumes.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 27 2018, 04:56 PM) *

Mount it up front under the steering rack with some rubber isolator mounts. You do have to run wires up to it, but it’s in a much cooler location. As far as pulling vs. pushing fuel, gravity will feed the fuel to the pump in either location unless the car is running on fumes.

agree.gif
Tdskip
Thanks.

For those that mounted it on the rear firewall did you weld studs onto the firewall to mount the pump locating bracket?

Anyone have a picture of the pump mounted up front? Under the fuel tank I assume?
Olympic 914
One way.... not the only way.

Limits access to fuel filter.

Click to view attachment
JamesM
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 27 2018, 10:58 AM) *

Gentlemen, good afternoon. I know there is some debate as to putting the fuel pump here versus in the front of the car, but if I wanted to locate it in the rear of the car is this a good place?

Not a debate, the factory moved it in 75 and issued instructions for relocation on older cars for a reason. If you can get a later style pump cover and don't mind cutting your trunk bulkhead then mount it in the stock location for the 75-76 cars (driver side behind the trunk/tank bulkhead), otherwise put it passenger side by the steering rack near the access hole for the fuel lines.

Sure it will probably work fine for the most part in if you put it back in the engine bay but the potential for vapor lock is real (its inconvenienced me several times). Given you have it out of the car already, just move it up front.
Tbrown4x4
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Sep 27 2018, 04:23 PM) *

One way.... not the only way.

Limits access to fuel filter.

Click to view attachment

I did mine like this also, but moved the filter to the steering rack. It is mounted where the '75 pump is without the removable plate, so I can add it later.

My teachings about fuel pumps is this: Electrics push well, so close to, or inside tank.
Mechanicals pull well, so close to engine. Although I suspect a mechanical pump needs to be on the engine to actually work.

For power to pump I installed a Revolution Electronics fuel pump controller.

http://revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html
Coastal6
Put it down by the steering rack.
Placing it under the fuel tank makes it a major hassle to access because you have to remove the tank to get to the pump.
Placing it in the original location at the rear of the car and you risk vapor lock and the pump has a tough time sucking as others have said.
JawjaPorsche
I mounted mine to the firewall over twenty years ago. I removed the interior back pad and drilled two holes. Used very big flat washers inside with the bolt head. Created a small bracket for the fuel filter which makes changing easy.

I used to have vapor lock issues but since moving it the new location over twenty years ago I have never had another vapor lock and I live in the very hot humid south.

Since this picture was taken, I replaced my cooling flaps with new ones from 914rubber.
Tdskip
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Sep 28 2018, 02:35 PM) *

I mounted mine to the firewall over twenty years ago. I removed the interior back pad and drilled two holes. Used very big flat washers inside with the bolt head. Created a small bracket for the fuel filter which makes changing easy.

I used to have vapor lock issues but since moving it the new location over twenty years ago I have never had another vapor lock and I live in the very hot humid south.

Since this picture was taken, I replaced my cooling flaps with new ones from 914rubber.

I have stared at your picture quite a bit over the last couple days, thank you for documenting your work.

Did you weld mounting studs on the firewall or drill a hole through the firewall and put bolts on the cockpit side?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 28 2018, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Sep 28 2018, 02:35 PM) *

I have stared at your picture quite a bit over the last couple days, thank you for documenting your work.

Did you weld mounting studs on the firewall or drill a hole through the firewall and put bolts on the cockpit side?

No welding. Like it says above, just drilled two holes into cockpit behind driver seat and used long bolts and fender washers. I used a coil bracket to hold the pump.
GeorgeRud
You could always use some Rivnuts to make a threaded hole in the firewall as well.
napasteve
I used Jawja's picture as a template and put my replacement pump in the same spot. I've had no problems since installation (once I unkinked the fuel line under the gas tank).

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
QUOTE(napasteve @ Sep 28 2018, 06:21 PM) *

I used Jawja's picture as a template and put my replacement pump in the same spot. I've had no problems since installation (once I unkinked the fuel line under the gas tank).

Click to view attachment

Thanks - how did you get the mounting bolts on to the firewall?
napasteve
I used a probably unconventional, non-mechanic, low-experience approach. I decided exactly where I wanted the pump and I had a clamp for the pump (my memory of where I came up with the clamp is cloudy). I drilled a hole thru the firewall from the engine compartment side (actually a double wall I discovered, shows you how little I know about our 914s) and thru the back pad behind the passenger seat. Then I hole-sawed from the passenger side bay back pad so that i could put a nut on the bolt that held the clamp that held the pump. I covered the hole behind the passenger seat back pad with some heavy big electrical tape. Not the most elegant solution but WTF McMark moved to Michigan and I was on my own.
Tdskip
QUOTE(napasteve @ Sep 28 2018, 10:12 PM) *

I used a probably unconventional, non-mechanic, low-experience approach. I decided exactly where I wanted the pump and I had a clamp for the pump (my memory of where I came up with the clamp is cloudy). I drilled a hole thru the firewall from the engine compartment side (actually a double wall I discovered, shows you how little I know about our 914s) and thru the back pad behind the passenger seat. Then I hole-sawed from the passenger side bay back pad so that i could put a nut on the bolt that held the clamp that held the pump. I covered the hole behind the passenger seat back pad with some heavy big electrical tape. Not the most elegant solution but WTF McMark moved to Michigan and I was on my own.

Hey - it worked and you got to drive the car. Sounds good to me!

Thanks for following up.
Tdskip

Steve - I had a chance to look at your link, the winery looks fantastic!
napasteve
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 2 2018, 07:28 AM) *

Steve - I had a chance to look at your link, the winery looks fantastic!

Thanks. My wife Carole did the website. You can also follow Lagier Meredith on FB. We're releasing our 2016 wines today!
Tdskip
QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 2 2018, 10:50 AM) *

Thanks. My wife Carole did the website. You can also follow Lagier Meredith on FB. We're releasing our 2016 wines today!

Congratulations!
RFoulds
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Sep 28 2018, 12:35 PM) *

I am doing this right now. same spot. trying to see how you routed your fuel lines?
I have new stainless lines in. the return line goes no where. the feed line is slightly longer and I was going to cut it 4 inches shorter, then have short hose to filter, short hose to pump, then out.

For mounting, I want to use the rubber isolator mounts, but I don't think the threaded ends are long enough to reach through the firewall.
napasteve
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 2 2018, 10:49 AM) *

I am doing this right now. same spot. trying to see how you routed your fuel lines?
I have new stainless lines in. the return line goes no where. the feed line is slightly longer and I was going to cut it 4 inches shorter, then have short hose to filter, short hose to pump, then out.

For mounting, I want to use the rubber isolator mounts, but I don't think the threaded ends are long enough to reach through the firewall.

The cleanest job I've seen is that done by simonjb. Here is a pic from his reassembly thread post #1. I may get a couple of SS U-tubes like he has and redo my fuel line route. Or maybe I'll just drive it as is....

Click to view attachment
RFoulds
That’s perfect. Thanks.
914 RZ-1
Where does one get stainless steel tubes like the ones shown? Any time I've tried to bend tubes that much they get kinks in them.

QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 2 2018, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 2 2018, 10:49 AM) *

The cleanest job I've seen is that done by simonjb. Here is a pic from his reassembly thread post #1. I may get a couple of SS U-tubes like he has and redo my fuel line route. Or maybe I'll just drive it as is....

Click to view attachment

napasteve
http://www.tangerineracing.com

I'll bet Chris has everything you need and he's very helpful if you have questions. JoeBob sez check it out.
Tdskip
[quote name='914 RZ-1' date='Oct 3 2018, 09:48 PM' post='2654344']

Click to view attachment
[/quote]
[/quote]

Similar to the 928 set up actually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.