Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering vibration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Biggles
Hi All

Weird one this.

My car has been vibrating for a few months now, around 60mph, but having now driven it a while there is a steering wheel vibration which is intermittent. It vibrates for about 10 to 15 seconds then goes away for same time, then comes back. Happens between 60 and 90, steady throttle on same road surface - very odd. Any ideas? Both front wheels have been balanced recently but that wouldn’t explain it coming and going...

It’s a 70 car with 3.2 Carrera front end if that makes any difference, but can’t see how it could.
TheCabinetmaker
Balance the rear wheels? Proper inflation on tires? Loose wheel bearing?
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Biggles @ Sep 28 2018, 05:37 AM) *

Hi All

Weird one this.

My car has been vibrating for a few months now, around 60mph, but having now driven it a while there is a steering wheel vibration which is intermittent. It vibrates for about 10 to 15 seconds then goes away for same time, then comes back. Happens between 60 and 90, steady throttle on same road surface - very odd. Any ideas? Both front wheels have been balanced recently but that wouldn’t explain it coming and going...

It’s a 70 car with 3.2 Carrera front end if that makes any difference, but can’t see how it could.

Could be the centering of the wheels on the hubs. I know it sounds weird but it happened to me decades ago and what I learned was you need to run the wheel bolts in finger tight and then spin and adjust the wheel to allow the wheel to center itself on the hub, then tighten the bolts to 90 ft pd in a star or x pattern depending on hub.
AZ914
I had the same problem. Check the rear trailing arm bushings.
Coastal6
I have found that the problem is created by having the front suspension set too low.

Try raising the front end a small amount.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes low and tire balance and make sure that there is no play in the steering. Nothing to do with the rear

QUOTE(Coastal6 @ Sep 28 2018, 11:06 AM) *

I have found that the problem is created by having the front suspension set too low.

Try raising the front end a small amount.

porschetub
Had this on other cars,the vibration go's away when you go faster,in both cases my wheels weren't hub concentric.
Biggles
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 28 2018, 05:34 PM) *

Hi All

Weird one this.

Could be the centering of the wheels on the hubs. I know it sounds weird but it happened to me decades ago and what I learned was you need to run the wheel bolts in finger tight and then spin and adjust the wheel to allow the wheel to center itself on the hub, then tighten the bolts to 90 ft pd in a star or x pattern depending on hub.

Thanks guys for the tips. I’m on a trip at the moment and limited to what I can do, but I’ll check the wheel centering and steering column joints.
bandjoey
Bought new tires and immediately a small small vibration. Tire shop rebalanced but I still didn't like it. Had them turn the tires 180 degrees when we discovered the 'weighted side' of he tire was incorrect. Go to a new car dealer than you'll see little green stickers on tires. That needs to be exactly at the valve stem. It's to offset the heavy side of the tire with the wight of the valve stem. Might look at that. fixed my problem.
914bub
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 29 2018, 05:01 PM) *

Bought new tires and immediately a small small vibration. Tire shop rebalanced but I still didn't like it. Had them turn the tires 180 degrees when we discovered the 'weighted side' of he tire was incorrect. Go to a new car dealer than you'll see little green stickers on tires. That needs to be exactly at the valve stem. It's to offset the heavy side of the tire with the wight of the valve stem. Might look at that. fixed my problem.

I've never seen "stickers" but there is usually a red or yellow dot near the bead that should be aligned with the valve stem. Funny how many tire guys don't know that.
Biggles
QUOTE(Biggles @ Sep 29 2018, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 28 2018, 05:34 PM) *

Hi All

Weird one this.

Thanks guys for the tips. I’m on a trip at the moment and limited to what I can do, but I’ll check the wheel centering and steering column joints.

Tried re centering wheels on the hubs - didn’t work. Checked the steering wheel UJs too. This is going to take more investigation...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.