Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grinding Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I just brought home the ABM last night from the shop just in time for Rennsport. Tried to move it into the garage for some work and the starter is grinding. Not good.

Question: with a bad starter / potential flywheel, is it OK to push start it. I only need to go about 100 miles each way....

I also have AAA. slap.gif

theer
Pop starting with a bad starter is fine (as long as it is not stuck engaged to the flywheel. That's usually how I started my VW 412 back in my HS days. With FI, I could pop start it by myself in the length of a parking spot - forward or backward... push it out of the spot...push it back in... hop in while it's rolling.. pop the clutch... vroom-vroom. Oh and slam on the brakes.

A damaged flywheel may create an out-of-balance issue that could be bad for bearings, depending on the damage. You can view the flywheel toothed gear for damage through the porthole from underneath the car.. a bit of a PITA, but doable with a little help from someone to turn the motor by hand (take the sparkplugs out first, of course).
larryM
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Sep 28 2018, 06:55 AM) *

the starter is grinding. Not good.

what do you mean by "grinding starter" ?

re: push start - THEER is correct
EdwardBlume
Thanks. Much appreciated. Friday AM and it’s starting just fine.... for now....

The grinding was like missing teeth and I only hit it twice. Maybe the solinoid malfunctioned?
r_towle
Heat makes the shaft expand and the little gear does not get pushed far enough. It’s a combination of a bad ground strap and a dirty starter.
Quick fix, get a long black battery cable about three feet long and go from the battery ground to the lower bolt on the starter to give it a really good ground.
infraredcalvin
Put in 5th and rock the car back and forth a bit to slightly rotate the flywheel so that the starter gear engages, remember to pull it out of gear before you try to start.
ConeDodger
Do you have one of those high torque starters on it Rob?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 29 2018, 09:29 AM) *

Do you have one of those high torque starters on it Rob?

Pretty sure it is. Seems to be OK now. For now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.