Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid Paint/BodyWork Question of the Week
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I've been doing some panel beating today to straighten out the little waves and dings that accumulate. I keep wondering how the experts decide they've gotten a panel straight enough to move on. I reread this thread on body filler. The collective wisdom is to get the panel as straight as you can and let surfacer or filler take care of the rest. I don't seem to have much trouble getting panels to within a credit card width of straight, or at most, within less than 1mm in areas where I don't have the right tools for getting it better. Problem is that I'm sure I could get most areas perfect with enough time, but the time difference between within a credit card and perfect is HUGE. As much as I'd love to see all the guide coat sand off evenly to shiny metal, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I'm just curious how you all decide a panel is good enough to pack away the hammers and dollies and move on. Time spent? Maximum depth? Gut feeling?

mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 28 2018, 01:04 PM) *

I've been doing some panel beating today to straighten out the little waves and dings that accumulate. I keep wondering how the experts decide they've gotten a panel straight enough to move on. I reread this thread on body filler. The collective wisdom is to get the panel as straight as you can and let surfacer or filler take care of the rest. I don't seem to have much trouble getting panels to within a credit card width of straight, or at most, within less than 1mm in areas where I don't have the right tools for getting it better. Problem is that I'm sure I could get most areas perfect with enough time, but the time difference between within a credit card and perfect is HUGE. As much as I'd love to see all the guide coat sand off evenly to shiny metal, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I'm just curious how you all decide a panel is good enough to pack away the hammers and dollies and move on. Time spent? Maximum depth? Gut feeling?

It all depends on the car. I think for Michaels 6 almost no filler would be the goal. On my car there is some filler on all of the but joints for the flare areas. Then a little at the sail panel joints. There is one spot that it is a bit thicker then I like and will slowly work that out over the winter and hammer a bit more.. I know the theory on skiming the whole car is so that it shrinks uniformly and that makes sense that is the same thing as spray filler and blocking with guide coat.

Again depends on the car. My sons 944 has more filler in it then my 914 only becuase his time frame. Your car I would think will have much less then mine. I would estimate my whole car has a qt and a half on it and half of that sanded off if that gives you and idea.
worn
I really have to admire your dedication. It seems to be in the hand of the beholder. I do know that a good job with some plastic filler will look good long after I am gone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.