Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: better idle tuning or just need more warm up time?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
This may be one of those things where the answer is "just let it warm up."

Now that I am driving my car more, I am starting to notice some quirks.

As the days and evenings get cooler, my car needs some extra love to get moving after a cold start. I usually let it idle for a minute after startup, same as I used to do when I had carbs.

However, until the engine gets warm, it has NO power off idle. Last night I stalled leaving a car show trying to get moving in 1st gear. I know its due to the engine being not up to temp, but I want to know if this is something I can tune out, or if I need to let it idle for 5 minutes or so to warm up more before I go driving now that ambient temps are getting under 50 degrees.

Once I'm off idle and moving, or the car gets warm, its a dream to drive. Its just that period of time after a cold start where the engine isn't up to temp yet.

The car is using modern EFI (microsquirt), not carbs or DJET.

Zach
iankarr
Sounds like the fuel curve needs to be a bit richer after cold start.
VaccaRabite
Anyone know what a good AFR should be in this situation? I can play with the IAT based on engine temperature. Simply adding fuel in the fuel table will (I think) always add extra fuel in that cell. Restricting air is (i think) the same as adding fuel.

I'm still climbing the first big hill for the learning curve on this EFI tuning stuff.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.