Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter rod question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
I've been installing the shift rod on my 914 restoration.

So I managed to get the rear rod connected where it connects to the transmission mechanism. However, when i went to connect the rear rod to the front rod just inside the engine compartment, (The connection in the example photo below) I noticed that the hole that the screw goes into is on the TOPt side of the rod, and not the BOTTOM where the screw from the rear rod would attach. It looks like the rod from the front shifter is upside down. Ugh

Click to view attachment

Is there anyway to deal with this except to open up all the front shift area and turn the rod ? unfortunately all the carpet and center unit has been installed already. I assume drilling a hole in the rod isn't smart?
Larmo63
The cone screw is supposed to index into the indent on the rod.

Do it right.

Google pictures and/or videos on Youtube.
porschetub
The hole is indexed so that it lines up with the rear connection,if the rod was straight it wouldn't matter but its far from that.
Porschef
Not something to get wrong. The rod is only to go one way, and the holes for the cone screws will dictate the proper orientation.

Also, make sure all your bushings are fresh and tight, it will make the car shift as good as possible. I just had the rod apart yesterday to install a delrin bushing I made for the console, made a huge difference.

Chris’s firewall bushing is beyond anything else available, well worth the money. aktion035.gif

simonjb
I guess I knew the answer here and was hoping....but thanks..I'll go and open up the inside...
ChrisFoley
It sounds like the bushings were replaced on the knuckle and it was installed upside down during reassembly.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Sep 30 2018, 04:10 PM) *

It sounds like the bushings were replaced on the knuckle and it was installed upside down during reassembly.

agree.gif
The hole in the front shift rod should be at the 6 o'clock position. The coupler was probably put on the rod wrong.
With the rod on the ground the cone screw side of the coupler should be facing down and the bar should curve to the left then back in to the right. Can you post a picture of your bar and coupler ?
ChrisFoley
I re-read the original post and it actually sounds like the tunnel rod is installed upside down.
The picture provided really does no good since it isn't a 914 shift linkage.
The hole in the tunnel rod should be on the bottom, as the threaded hole in the knuckle should be.
Final adjustment of the shift linkage needs to be done in the tunnel, at the rear of the shift lever anyway, so it is expected that opening up that area is necessary.
worn
QUOTE(simonjb @ Sep 30 2018, 01:58 PM) *

I guess I knew the answer here and was hoping....but thanks..I'll go and open up the inside...

I think if you disconnect the rod in the cabin at the shift lever you can turn it around 180 degrees. That is a clamp connection. It is under the carpet in the tunnel. You need a 13 mm socket and an extension. Do you have the Haynes manual? That will help you reconnect it and adjust the position of the shift lever so you can catch all six gears.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 30 2018, 11:24 PM) *

I think if you disconnect the rod in the cabin at the shift lever you can turn it around 180 degrees. That is a clamp connection. It is under the carpet in the tunnel. You need a 13 mm socket and an extension. Do you have the Haynes manual? That will help you reconnect it and adjust the position of the shift lever so you can catch all six gears.

It isn't necessary to disconnect the tunnel rod from the cast piece. Even though it appears to have a splined connection, the splines are only on the rod. Inside the clamping piece is smooth, so the rod can be rotated 180 degrees without pulling it out, once the clamp is loosened.
simonjb
Chris - you stated in correctly...so I will open up the inside and then loosen the seat and rotate. Thanks all.
PanelBilly
When working on a restoration keep in mind that every section completed must be taken apart at least one more time. Put it together with the intent to take it apart again.
rhodyguy
The oval piece the boot goes on is missing? the forward end of the rear shift rod for a side shift trans looks like this. The hole for the set screw in yours is 90* wrong. Not the same part.
simonjb
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 1 2018, 09:31 AM) *

When working on a restoration keep in mind that every section completed must be taken apart at least one more time. Put it together with the intent to take it apart again.

Ha! That’s true 1
914bub
I'm dealing with all of this, this week, so I'll be watching. Mine is orientated correctly but still about to give up.....
rhodyguy
Is this related to work on your 74'?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.