Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh snap!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
Click to view attachment

This is getting old!
Couple weeks ago fuel pump relay, now???
Getting ready to go investigate.
BK911
Rearranged the display cabinet a bit. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Been there. Hope yours is better than my last tow.
76-914
QUOTE(BK911 @ Oct 1 2018, 09:40 AM) *

Rearranged the display cabinet a bit. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif
Tdskip
Bummer - what happened?
Tom_T
Was it the dreaded hot start problem?

If so, have you relocated the fuel pump up front up behind the steering rack cover, out of the hot engine bay yet?

....or you can continue supporting the tow truck drivers' employment continuation act in TN! biggrin.gif

All 70-74 owners whether 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0 should be moving your FPs up front ASAP - & put an end to all this mania! That's why Porsche moved the FP in 75-76 MYs & issued their FSB for the FP relo in 70-74 914s about that same time (after their earlier "wrap the FP in foil FSB didn't work).

BTW - I too like your mode;l rearrangement, but save the towing for other problems than FP/vaopr lock/hot start problems. ....or you can keep replacing parts around the known issue instead, if you prefer! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
BK911
No fire.
Recently installed petronix failed.
Back to points, and vroom vroom!!
Tdskip
QUOTE(BK911 @ Oct 1 2018, 04:08 PM) *

No fire.
Recently installed petronix failed.
Back to points, and vroom vroom!!

Well glad it was readily fixed. Weird it died, they are usually quite reliable.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm one of those that has had crap luck with pertronics. Never again. I can change points in less than three minutes and be on my way
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 1 2018, 06:26 PM) *

I'm one of those that has had crap luck with pertronics. Never again. I can change points in less than three minutes and be on my way

its always nice when it is a simple fix, simple solution! that is awesome, too bad you couldn't figure it out before you had to have it towed home, but I am sure since you said it was new it was the last thing you suspected, been there too.

on the subject of the electronic modules though, I have had the same Hot Spark module in my car for almost 9 years now. Failure and burn out of the Petronix seems to be higher than HotSpark, and related to the driver leaving the key in on position with car not running. I could say the same thing about regular points and condenser. I was stranded 2x with a failure of a condenser and fouling up of the points on this car the first year I had it, and not one failure of a Hotspark module since going that direction. I do carry an extra of both but so far have never had to replace it due to failure. And I don't have to mess with the dwell and gap etc. I also had a '69 Austin Healey back in high school and college and the only issue I ever had was with points- over and over again, just sayin! With all that said, I will be putting in my 123ignition distributor soon and it should be interesting, I have not heard of a failure of one of these yet......
76-914
There are definitely two Camps on the subject of points vs Petronix. One very large Camp and one very small Camp. av-943.gif It's all good. Both camps are from the Porsche World! I'd probably be like Curt if they'd ever let me down but they haven't. And like Phil, I keep a spare set in the glovebox just in case. For the record; one set on my old Karmann Ghia for 12 yr's and another set on my 76-914 since 2010. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.