Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally on the road again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mountainroads
It's been a long (5-1/2 yrs) and sometimes painful restoration process. Some carb tweaking remains and several electrical gremlins still need to be chased, but this 1970 -6 is finally self-propelled again. l'd forgotten how much fun these little cars are to drive.

Silly phone camera makes car appear much more red than the tangerine it really is. I'll come up with some better pics after car is completely sorted.

VIN added to DB long ago, but will update to make current.

- MR Click to view attachment
Dion
Congrats! Looks sharp. Enjoy it. driving.gif
Cairo94507
Looks very nice-congratulations. Enjoy driving around in showing it off. beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
I love the stance, are those 15x7? What tire size?
bbrock
Nice! Can only imagine how good that must feel! smilie_pokal.gif
jmitro
very nice!
mountainroads
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Oct 1 2018, 04:32 PM) *

I love the stance, are those 15x7? What tire size?

Thanks guys. It's been a journey, for sure. Yes - 15X7 Harvey Weidman refurbished Fuchs. Tires = 205/60R-15.

In round numbers: 2.5 yrs at body shop. (Very minimal cosmetic-only rust, but shop has long backlog.) 1.0 yrs at interior shop. 1.5 yrs for full-on mechanical freshening including several non-obvious upgrades. 2.7L with Carrera tensioners and modern cams which pulls to red line like a freight train. I'll cop to a few mid-stream changes that cost some time, such as switching to genuine 914-6 GT vented rear brake rotors when they opportunity arose, which meant the calipers had to be sent back to PMB for the requisite spacers AFTER they'd already been rebuilt/restored. My bad on that one, but I couldn't resist.

Additional pic added.

- MRClick to view attachment
AZBanks
Gorgeous!
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif beer3.gif
PanelBilly
There’s a PCA tour to CleElum this Sunday. If your a member come join me
76-914
Very nice. Looks at home in the hills. smilie_pokal.gif
jfort
looks great. CONGRATS. now enjoy
mountainroads
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 2 2018, 07:46 AM) *

There’s a PCA tour to CleElum this Sunday. If your a member come join me

Hello PB:

Thanks for the offer. That's tempting and I am a PCA member. Ironically, I keep the car in Cle Elum and I'll probably be there this weekend, but I want the 914 completely sorted before I take it over there for the season. Not quite there, yet.

I don't know if it's already on the agenda, but highly recommend old US 10 between Cle Elum and Ellensburg as a fun drive. PM me if you're not familiar with the area and I'll provide a few additional suggestions. That said, I suspect the organizers already know the good roads smile.gif

Hope the weather's good.

- MR
PanelBilly
I’m sure the roads will be great. Looks like the sun will be out and we’re spending the night in Suncadia and driving back on Monday. The tour ends at Stillwater Winery so there will be some consumption of alcohol too
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Oct 1 2018, 02:10 PM) *

It's been a long (5-1/2 yrs) and sometimes painful restoration process. Some carb tweaking remains and several electrical gremlins still need to be chased, but this 1970 -6 is finally self-propelled again. l'd forgotten how much fun these little cars are to drive.

Silly phone camera makes car appear much more red than the tangerine it really is. I'll come up with some better pics after car is completely sorted.

VIN added to DB long ago, bit will update to make current.

- MR Click to view attachment

Congrats! cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif and I can relate to the 5 1/2 years part!

Car looks GREAT! beerchug.gif

Oh, AND I can rleate to the painful part too!!! lol-2.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
mountainroads
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 2 2018, 11:15 AM) *

Congrats! cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif and I can relate to the 5 1/2 years part!

Car looks GREAT! beerchug.gif

Oh, AND I can rleate to the painful part too!!! lol-2.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Thanks again to all for the kind compliments. Not trying to make this into a "vanity" thread, but the below pic is a much better representation of the real color. Revisiting the body shop for electrical gremlins exorcism and sail panel chrome piece installations.

- MR

- MR
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Wow,really nice looking car ,like your wheel tyre setup I'am stuck with 16" but would rather have 15'',your car sets right and had a really great look …..well done.
saigon71
I bet that first drive was awesome!

Your car looks great. beerchug.gif
daytona
Good looking car.
It is always rewarding when driving a car after a long restoration process. The post restoration debugging can be frustrating, but it feels good checking little things off the list.
Enjoy it in good health.
Bill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.