Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT...sort of...FINALLY got a shop for working on my cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I finally have a place to work on my cars. Picked this up a few months ago and am starting to get it ready to use.

It's an older industrial complex that is fenced in, has air conditioned offices, loading dock, bathrooms, and 3 phase power. It also has an outside storage building. The warehouse area (around 3500 sq ft) already has piping for compressed.

I've been working on the basics (had the roof resealed), A/C upgrades, redoing the offices with new flooring, paint, etc. Next week someone starts on stripping the floors so they can be resealed and then a 2 post lift can be installed. Will probably install a 4 post lift as well.

These are pictures just before purchase. I'll update as progress is made.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
HUGE. High ground?
mepstein
Wow, that's terrific. Great space. I thought you were building a home shop. Is that going to turn into a man cave?
FourBlades

Wow, that is awesome!

Will you make a business or rent out part of it to recoup operating costs?

The only thing wrong is that now you need about 23 more 914s to fill it up.

biggrin.gif

John
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 3 2018, 09:42 AM) *

Wow, that's terrific. Great space. I thought you were building a home shop. Is that going to turn into a man cave?

I built two new small (1200 sq ft each) shops at my farm. However, it will be a while before I move there so I need some place closer to my current house. I did buy the adjacent 103 acres so maybe I'll just move there instead smile.gif

Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 3 2018, 09:39 AM) *

HUGE. High ground?

Oh yes...not close to the coast at all
DRPHIL914
Wow that's great!! is that closer to you at home? I guess that is the advantage of living in a fairly depressed area economically, you can pick up a piece of property for fairly cheep compared to what it would cost to build.
So when are we having a SC gathering and "shop warming" open house?? you could off set your monthly cost but "renting out" parking spots etc. Some guys here on Lady's Island (near your old home) did that as part of the car club and they have a lift, and storage spots that get leased out by club members- I am not saying you have to do all that BUT for a few select individuals you trust , you could do that. Either way looks like an excellent buy! we need a fall date for a Saturday BBQ! food beer etc would be fine, we can help you get moved in when its ready chowtime.gif beer.gif beer3.gif confused24.gif
DRPHIL914
dude!!! 103 acres?? jhow about some deer hunting??
billh1963
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 3 2018, 09:56 AM) *

Wow, that is awesome!

Will you make a business or rent out part of it to recoup operating costs?

The only thing wrong is that now you need about 23 more 914s to fill it up.

biggrin.gif

John

I've thought about renting out the offices. There are offices upstairs and downstairs and each level has its own HVAC unit. The offices also have their own entrance and can be shut out from the garage. That's why I am redoing the offices and bathrooms so they look nice. The offices are already wired for internet. I'm contemplating the Regus model where you rent out a fully furnished office to include power, internet, phone, etc. This is good for someone who needs an office to meet clients, extra office space for a while, etc.

Also, there is always demand for RV/boat storage. The 1.5 acre property is fully fenced and is paved/graveled. There is opportunity there as well.
billh1963
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 3 2018, 10:01 AM) *

dude!!! 103 acres?? jhow about some deer hunting??

The acreage has a two nice deer stands already and is loaded with deer, turkey, etc.

I've already been approached by a couple of people wanting to lease the land for a hunting club. The money basically pays the taxes. However, they do typically make improvements and keep the roads and food plots cleared.
billh1963
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 3 2018, 10:00 AM) *

Wow that's great!! is that closer to you at home? I guess that is the advantage of living in a fairly depressed area economically, you can pick up a piece of property for fairly cheep compared to what it would cost to build.
So when are we having a SC gathering and "shop warming" open house?? you could off set your monthly cost but "renting out" parking spots etc. Some guys here on Lady's Island (near your old home) did that as part of the car club and they have a lift, and storage spots that get leased out by club members- I am not saying you have to do all that BUT for a few select individuals you trust , you could do that. Either way looks like an excellent buy! we need a fall date for a Saturday BBQ! food beer etc would be fine, we can help you get moved in when its ready chowtime.gif beer.gif beer3.gif confused24.gif

I think there are properties like this everywhere. You just have to keep your eyes open and be ready to move quickly when they come on the market.

A get together is a good idea and I'm thinking about doing that in the Spring once all the work is done. There is a large conference room upstairs I'm thinking about making a man cave...putting my pool table up there along with a big scree tv and such.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 3 2018, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 3 2018, 10:00 AM) *

I think there are properties like this everywhere. You just have to keep your eyes open and be ready to move quickly when they come on the market.

A get together is a good idea and I'm thinking about doing that in the Spring once all the work is done. There is a large conference room upstairs I'm thinking about making a man cave...putting my pool table up there along with a big scree tv and such.

Perfect! Huge market for the boat and RV storage, that's a great idea. and those are usually just parked and used a couple times a year so typically owners are not there frequently. Just as long as they maintain them. - if they don't pay the storage fees you could end up with a boat out of the deal at some point. I know a mechanic that ended up with a '57 Chevy that way and a boat.
Also great idea on the office rental- Even just a contractor that needs a small office space to work out of rather than his truck. I have been look something like this here but its rare and much more expensive as the area is less rural than it used to be and it has really had a population explosion so the property values have skyrocketed. but we will keep looking!
billh1963
These properties exist even where you are. However, you won't find them next door. Look in industrial areas for unused buildings. Look on loopnet and other commercial real estate venues. This one was listed. However, the land was not. After I bought the building I was interested in buying some land adjacent to me (was thinking maybe 5 or 10 acres) to have some expansion room.

Went to the tax office and found out the address of the owner and sent him a letter. Got a call a few weeks later. He said he wasn't interested in selling a few acres. But, he would be interested in selling it ALL. He's older and is getting his affairs in order. He gave me a very favorable price if I could close quickly and it was a done deal.

The moral of the story is you have to look for this stuff and check around. You never
know.
Jonathan Livesay
Oh man that is awesome! I would kill for a set up like that. I hate you so much. dry.gif
Tom_T
Hmmmm..... Hunt? ... Fish? .... Work? - ... Hunt? ... Fish? .... Work?

Tough choices Bill!

Just a word of caution from someone in the RE biz - hopefully you & your broker checked out prior owners & tenants businesses for operations & Hazmats that may have been used on-site, since your purchase or lease puts you in the chain of liability under Federal CRCLA. I had a friend who purchased a small Class 3 railroad in SC, then found out later that he was liable for all of the by then prior owner's clean-up.

enjoy that HUGE shop & adjacent Play Zone! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
billh1963
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 3 2018, 01:21 PM) *

Hmmmm..... Hunt? ... Fish? .... Work? - ... Hunt? ... Fish? .... Work?

Tough choices Bill!

Just a word of caution from someone in the RE biz - hopefully you & your broker checked out prior owners & tenants businesses for operations & Hazmats that may have been used on-site, since your purchase or lease puts you in the chain of liability under Federal CRCLA. I had a friend who purchased a small Class 3 railroad in SC, then found out later that he was liable for all of the by then prior owner's clean-up.

enjoy that HUGE shop & adjacent Play Zone! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Good point, Tom.

An environmental study was done before I bought the place. There was nothing of note.

Thanks,
Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.