Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where the heck is my fuel filter?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tvdinnerbythepool
Alright guys, I am trying to replace my fuel filter....but I can't find it! screwy.gif

It's a 1970 1.7 with the fuel pump relocated the front, behind the cover for the rack and brake master cylinder.

I pulled that metal cover off the bottom of the car, I see the pump and hoses but no filter. Traced the lines in the engine bay....no filter.

I suppose it's possible there isn't one installed, but does anyone else have an idea?

On the plus side, I pulled my MPS and seems to be holding good vacuum by the old suck on it and see if it holds method...that's what she said?

Thanks for the help!

914 RZ-1
Get one of those mirrors on a stick and see if you can look underneath the gas tank. Maybe it's underneath there.
iankarr
We’re all still learning!

Have you looked in the stock location near where the lines enter the engine compartment under the battery tray area? Maybe it was never moved?

If your pump is up front, the filter should be too.

Good luck and keep asking questions...the knowledge of this community and their willingness to share it is amazing.
bdstone914
Maybe they did not put one back in when they moved the pump. just add one prior to the pump.
falcor75
Isnt the stock filter between the pump and the engine?
Tom_T
The factory FP relocation FSB has it as it was supposed to be by the tank & FP just inside the circular port to the tunnel (pic 1) - to the right of the FP (pic 2), & you should be able to pull out the hoses to change it in the open.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Use the OE square filters if you can find them.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

JeffBowlsby
Tom, can you send me a copy of this FSB for the FP relocation? I have never seen it.
914Sixer
I'm with Jeff, never seen FSB on fuel pump relocation. I would like to see it too.
tvdinnerbythepool
Thanks to all, looks like they replaced the hoses and forgot to install a filter!
falcor75
Most of our cars have been down at the price bottom where nobody cared to spend a dollar more than necessary on them so finding stuff like this isnt that uncommon.
Chip
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Oct 3 2018, 10:22 PM) *

Isnt the stock filter between the pump and the engine?

The fuel filter should be between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. It can be round or square, usually plastic.
tvdinnerbythepool
Ok, I finally found the dang thing.
It's under the car at the rear just before the line goes through the sheet metal into the engine bay.

I know that ideally the filter should be before the fuel pump, but has anybody had any adverse effects of having the filter farther down the line?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Oct 5 2018, 01:56 PM) *
but has anybody had any adverse effects of having the filter farther down the line?

I'm pretty sure those filters were *not* designed for the pressure created by the FI pump.
I'm assuming you still have the D-Jet injection?

I'd be very concerned about that filter turning into a fuel spraying nozzle, especially since it sits right next to the hot exhaust.
IPB Image

PS: The rear lower firewall is the correct stock location for a '70 1.7L, your fuel pump used to be right next to it before someone relocated it.
JeffBowlsby
Sounds like they left the filter in its stock location and just moved the FP upstream. That would mean your 48 year old plastic fuel supply line through the tunnel is also pressurized in addition to the filter and the filter is not protecting the FP, only the injectors.
porschetub
QUOTE(tvdinnerbythepool @ Oct 6 2018, 09:56 AM) *

Ok, I finally found the dang thing.
It's under the car at the rear just before the line goes through the sheet metal into the engine bay.

I know that ideally the filter should be before the fuel pump, but has anybody had any adverse effects of having the filter farther down the line?

Best to have it between tank and pump,check all jointing hoses also,use FI clamps and clean your suction filter in the tank,you need to read up on fuel line replacement and make a decision to replace from a safety aspect,most on here have done their cars.
I try to avoid using plastic filters in the engine space,however the plastic ones are fine in your pump location.
Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.