Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bus engine. ugh
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
You'd think that it wouldn't have taken me 11 years to look at the engine code. I have a '75 2.0. Just assumed the engine was original to the car.

Finally looked tonight and saw the following:
Click to view attachment
So I have a bus engine? barf.gif A 1976-77 2.0 liter Bus, according to the interwebs.

Confused because I only see 3 studs on the intakes. If it was a bus engine, shouldn't there be 4 studs?
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

What little I do know:
PO had the engine rebuilt by a well-known local shop.
Was rebuilt with Hydro lifters
Oil dipstick located at the top.
Engine pulls to 5500 rpm (I've read that bus engines aren't capable of this)
I replace the flywheel with a 914 flywheel when I replaced the clutch. I thought I read where the busses use a different flywheel?

What do I have, and is there any chance it was built to Porsche 2.0 specs?
Now all I can think of is finding a proper engine. headbang.gif
cgnj
I see late 2.0 heads. Likely 2.0 motor built in a bus case. Hopefully it doesn't have bus pistons.

Carlos
914Sixer
They probably just used the case only. The rest of the engine is a 914 2.0L internals.
Dave_Darling
The only difference that I can think of between the GD case and the GA case is the oil filler and dipstick. I would assume yours has a blanking plate bolted on to the lower-left-front corner of the case? Obviously the 914-style filler and dipstick have been added.

--DD
Grelber
I have a 2.0L built on a 1984 bus case. It pulls hard to 6,000. Might go further, but that's all I'll let it do.
DRPHIL914
you could get a COA, or whatever they call it now but they will verify if that engine number is matching for your car.
rhodyguy
NWCR?
SirAndy
QUOTE(cgnj @ Oct 4 2018, 04:17 AM) *
Hopefully it doesn't have bus pistons.

agree.gif

Seen this more than once, low compression bus pistons and hydraulic lifters make for a great update!

^^^ That's sarcasm btw ...
dry.gif
914werke
I was wondering the same.
rjames
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 4 2018, 12:55 PM) *

NWCR?

Yup. Receipt for the rebuild came with the car when I bought it, but it didn't include any details about the build.
rjames
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 4 2018, 01:00 PM) *

agree.gif

Seen this more than once, low compression bus pistons and hydraulic lifters make for a great update!

dry.gif

I picked up on it. dry.gif

Would the engine pull to 5500+ rpms if it had bus pistons?
porschetub
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 5 2018, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 4 2018, 01:00 PM) *

agree.gif

dry.gif

I picked up on it. dry.gif

Depends really ? if it go's ok I wouldn't worry,not sure about the comment about compression holding back RPM????,the only limit you would have is the hydro lifters .
I agree with comments about a replacement case ,seems to be that's what was done.
bdstone914
@rjames

Have you did a compression check ? That can be an indication of what pistons are in it and what compression ratio was set to. They may have changed the cam for something better than stock. If it runs good leave it alone and run it. My $.02 worth.
johnhora
Robert..
You have a proper engine....
A Type 4 case is a Type 4 case....if you start with a good case no a problem.
VW even used these engines for industrial use like running generators, etc.
The heads, pistons, exhaust are where the magic is.
Check you engine build sheet for part numbers.
As mentioned from your pics....you already have 2.0L heads...
see the 3 bolt intake and location of spark plugs
And you are lucky to still have the FI.
Drive it and stop worrying about a case number!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 4 2018, 01:12 PM) *

Well, it could. The compression ratio doesn't affect breathing that much; the cam and valves and ports and exhaust and such are really what determine where the engine makes power. Lower compression more or less means less power throughout the RPM range.

But frankly, it would be pretty weird for someone to swap over the heads from a 2-liter 914 and do the work to move the dipstick and such while leaving the low-compression Bus pistons in there...

--DD
rhodyguy
Northwest Connecting Rod had their own methods back in the day. The staking of the valve seats was a 50/50 situation.
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 6 2018, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 4 2018, 01:12 PM) *

Well, it could. The compression ratio doesn't affect breathing that much; the cam and valves and ports and exhaust and such are really what determine where the engine makes power. Lower compression more or less means less power throughout the RPM range.

But frankly, it would be pretty weird for someone to swap over the heads from a 2-liter 914 and do the work to move the dipstick and such while leaving the low-compression Bus pistons in there...

--DD

agree.gif The 2.0 heads are in my mind the special parts. You were happy before you saw the number? I would assume you have what everyone else has unless you notice less performance.
rjames
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 6 2018, 07:08 AM) *

@rjames

Have you did a compression check ? That can be an indication of what pistons are in it and what compression ratio was set to. They may have changed the cam for something better than stock. If it runs good leave it alone and run it. My $.02 worth.

Compression measured by the shop that did the ppi when I bought it was 135, 135, 130, & 150

Although numbers aren't great, they along with the feedback here seem to indicate the car isn't being moved down the road buy bus power. I'll continue to enjoy the car without stressing about it.

That said, I have dreams of a fresh 2056 build in 3-5 years. Time to start saving $.
VaccaRabite
Thats not bad compression at all. Its strange that one cylinder has 15 more PSI then the others, but it would not stop me from driving the car.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 9 2018, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 6 2018, 07:08 AM) *

@rjames

Compression measured by the shop that did the ppi when I bought it was 135, 135, 130, & 150

Although numbers aren't great, they along with the feedback here seem to indicate the car isn't being moved down the road buy bus power. I'll continue to enjoy the car without stressing about it.

That said, I have dreams of a fresh 2056 build in 3-5 years. Time to start saving $.

Buy someone’s hot 4 when they are converting to a 6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.