Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 Pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Downunderman
Who makes forged pistons for a 1.7 with a compression ratio about 10.5:1 or thereabouts? I need to source some for my historic racer engine. TIA. Howie.
ChrisFoley
JE or Wiseco
Downunderman
JE have just said they dont have an off the shelf one but will do a custom one. Waiting to hear from Wiseco.
Downunderman
What I want is probably what is used in F Production. What do you use Chris?
Driver174
JE made a custom set for my 914/4 - 2.0. It was an easy process and they pretty much had all of data required. They were simple flat tops and I machined to valve pockets. Fly cutting the head down to 45cc chambers gave me 10.5:1 compression ratio.

JIM

QUOTE(Downunderman @ Oct 5 2018, 04:08 PM) *

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Oct 5 2018, 07:08 PM) *

I've seen popup pistons that someone else used to get high compression without flycutting the heads too deeply, but I think that much shape on the piston crown affects the flame path too much.
Cutting the heads has its drawbacks too. Mostly because one of the exhaust stud bores is very close to a combustion chamber and may break thru when trying to get below 40cc.
My pistons were made to order by sending them a set of dimensions to work with.
Pin height, ring groove widths, piston dia., dome height & dia.
I used a stock high compression 1.7L piston as my model.
I've had 91mm pistons made for 1.7L and 94mm pistons made for 1.8L.
I cut my own eyebrows for the valves after doing a full mockup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.