Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally got my dream car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sprout
Hello all! I finally purchased my 914 after finding out what they were 30 years ago.

It's a '73 1.7, and I am the third owner. It belonged to my friend's brother, who owned it since 1980. It sat in his garage undriven since about 2002, and decided it was time to sell.

I had a shop get it running and driving, but it needs more work. I'll tackle things as they come up. I've been reading so many great posts from everyone here, and have learned a lot!

The car is in great shape, only minor rust. It's an original paint, true survivor! Looking forward to finally enjoying these great cars. The first couple of pics are before I knocked the dust off. The last one is after about 6 hours of detailing.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
aharder
welcome.png
dr914@autoatlanta.com
wow really looks good. Zambezi green is one of the better 914 colors
pete000
Looks nice! cant wait to see it back in the wild !
DRPHIL914
beer.gif welcome.png very nice! Looks like it was kept garaged and out of the elements, unusual for a mid-western car for sure! once you get some of the mechanicals like brakes sorted and its running(replace all of the fuel lines!) before you really get going too much check some of the structural areas that are well known for rust like under the rockers, hell hole, and floor pans and trunks. - It looks super good though, nice "garage find" , wht ever you need you will find right here on this forum, and I am sure there are some other 914 owners near you too.

ValcoOscar
welcome.png

Nice...great start...enjoy the journey!!!! beerchug.gif

Oscar
campbellcj
Congrats and welcome.png ! Definitely go thru the critical stuff thoroughly before putting her back on the road. In particular, brakes are a good thing and fuel leaks are a bad thing. Any car that sits is likely to have rotted-out lines and seals and bushings. Luckily most/all of these parts are available and relatively cheap.
914dave
welcome.png
Good luck with it!!!
HansJan
Welcome to 914world.
This is a great community. It will support you no matter if you do full restoration or just keeping it on the road.
Maltese Falcon
Awesome purchase/ enjoy the ride welcome.png
Sprout
Thanks, everyone! Just to get it running, I've replaced the distributor parts, made the switch to a new 2-port fuel pump and filter installed with all new hoses, relocated behind the firewall, had the injectors refurbished/tested by Advanced Injectors near Wichita, KS, and replaced the ignition switch. The big thing it needs next is a new clutch!
76-914
welcome.png and nice 914. Nice Vespa too! beerchug.gif
Lucky9146
welcome.png Enjoy, they really are fun to drive! Looks like a great car beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif stirthepot.gif wub.gif
xperu
Very nice, like the color. Looking forward to reading your progress threads. Mike Kelly welcome.png
Cairo94507

Very cool that it came from a friend's brother. Nice looking car and color.

Before I did any road trips longer than to the local auto parts store, I would tackle: Fuel system-including SS fuel lines in the tunnel, brakes complete caliper rebuild and new brake hoses and flush, electrical system evaluation for possible shorts and loose wires, clean all of the grounds, etc., all remaining fluids changed, tires (maybe a set of original Fuchs), battery, thorough total body evaluation looking for signs of rust in critical places like suspension mounts, etc.

Be systematic, working form one major component to the next. Resist the urge to pull it all apart at once to do all of the things you want to do. These cars get very comfortable on jack stands.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy the car. welcome.png

Cheers - Michael beerchug.gif
Sprout
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 6 2018, 04:31 PM) *

Very cool that it came from a friend's brother. Nice looking car and color.

Before I did any road trips longer than to the local auto parts store, I would tackle: Fuel system-including SS fuel lines in the tunnel, brakes complete caliper rebuild and new brake hoses and flush, electrical system evaluation for possible shorts and loose wires, clean all of the grounds, etc., all remaining fluids changed, tires (maybe a set of original Fuchs), battery, thorough total body evaluation looking for signs of rust in critical places like suspension mounts, etc.

Be systematic, working form one major component to the next. Resist the urge to pull it all apart at once to do all of the things you want to do. These cars get very comfortable on jack stands.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy the car. welcome.png

Cheers - Michael beerchug.gif

Thanks for the tips! I've gone through and got all the lights/electrical working, seemingly as they should (some burnt out bulbs, couple of fuses blown). Definitely needs tires from sitting on flats so long. One nice thing, I have a neighbor who's a former 914 owner and very mechanically inclined...and willing to help me out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.