Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumped from rear. Is this damage worth the insurance hassle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I didn't want to drive in the rain at all, but I had to store the car in a different parking lot before a trip. On the way in stop and go traffic I got bumped, denting the rear bumper chrome and rubber.

I'm very busy right now, out of town, and I really hate dealing with insurance. Just let this slide?

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
QUOTE(98101 @ Oct 6 2018, 09:34 AM) *

I didn't want to drive in the rain at all, but I had to store the car in a different parking lot before a trip. On the way in stop and go traffic I got bumped, denting the rear bumper chrome and rubber.

I'm very busy right now, out of town, and I really hate dealing with insurance. Just let this slide?

Click to view attachment

This can be repaired very simply.
The bumper can be repaired by a good bumper shop. The rubber may be fine once the pressure is relaxed.
4 bolts hold the bumper on.
Really nice car to just leave as is.
JeffBowlsby
That s probably a $1000-1500 repair. Replace the top rubber and have the bumper repaired and rechromed, including the labor to R/R.

Cairo94507
Sorry that happened to you. I would have it repaired. Pretty straight forward really.
worn
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 6 2018, 09:59 AM) *

That s probably a $1000-1500 repair. Replace the top rubber and have the bumper repaired and rechromed, including the labor to R/R.

Not only that, it is a comparable bill to what a bumper bender would cost with other cars. I assume that the other party is paying?
scallyk9
I had a very similar thing happen to my car while parked but the support for the tow hook took much of the pressure. My top rubber looked worse than yours but once removed it recovered and looked better than the aftermarket replacement I had purchased. What I had not seen though was the a slight bowing out of the fender on that side. Look carefully to compare the curve of the upper fender right and left side. I actually purchased two re-chromed rear bumpers from fellow 914world members at the time and used one of them.
My 914
I would call your insurance company anyway. I don't know if its like this everywhere, but here in Massachusetts, if you are hit from behind ,it's always on the other car to cover the damage with no penalty to you. You can slam on your brakes and get hit and it makes no difference.
Spoke
Oh hell yes call the insurance company. I'm assuming you have all the insurance information of the person who hit you. A new chrome bumper, new top, and installation are big bucks.
mepstein
Just notify your endurance company. You have plenty of time when you slow down.
worn
QUOTE(My 914 @ Oct 6 2018, 11:23 AM) *

You can slam on your brakes and get hit and it makes no difference.

Well yeah..! They hit you because they weren't prepared for an emergency stop. There is such a thing as a safe following distance. I use the two second rule.
thelogo
Take the money out of your own pocket and get it fixed right .
Then send the bill to the insurance co.
Maybe you get fully or partially reimbursement
But at least the repair will be done right and not involved
"" Their"" body shop w00t.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ Oct 6 2018, 03:41 PM) *

Take the money out of your own pocket and get it fixed right .
Then send the bill to the insurance co.
Maybe you get fully or partially reimbursement
But at least the repair will be done right and not involved
"" Their"" body shop w00t.gif

In most states, you choose the repair shop so there really isn’t much reason to go out of order. Dealing with insurance is a process but if you do it right, it all gets done. Especially when someone hits you.
We just got my wife’s Honda fixed from a light fender bender. She got hit. Their insurance paid everything including rental car. We chose the body shop. It was really a minimal hassle and once she talked to the other insurance co, it just took a couple signatures. Everything was billed to their insurance without anything from our pocket.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes! You will have to have the bumper straightened and rechromed, but you can knock the rear top seal straight with a rubber hammer. However since it is the other guys fault, you have a 2000 dollar repair here so you can put a bit of cash in your pocket.

QUOTE(98101 @ Oct 6 2018, 09:34 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.