Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: A Good use for left over butylene tape
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
If you have a MAC laptop you know how the strong magnet holds the charge cord in place. I noticed my cord's magnet was loosing it's strength and upon closer inspection found that the receptacle had picked up some very small metal shavings and those were the culprits. I couldn't get those little flecks off to save my life. Tweezer's were useless as was another magnet. I took a match head sized ball of butylene, pressed pressed into the cavity. The crap stuck to it and I was able to remove the debris restoring the cable Toit's former grip.
How in the Hell does this fit into this forum? I remembered those magnetic nut drivers that were littered with the same metal shavings. Guess what. Took about 2 min's to clean those up as well. beerchug.gif
Chip
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 6 2018, 10:37 AM) *

If you have a MAC laptop you know how the strong magnet holds the charge cord in place. I noticed my cord's magnet was loosing it's strength and upon closer inspection found that the receptacle had picked up some very small metal shavings and those were the culprits. I couldn't get those little flecks off to save my life. Tweezer's were useless as was another magnet. I took a match head sized ball of butylene, pressed pressed into the cavity. The crap stuck to it and I was able to remove the debris restoring the cable Toit's former grip.
How in the Hell does this fit into this forum? I remembered those magnetic nut drivers that were littered with the same metal shavings. Guess what. Took about 2 min's to clean those up as well. beerchug.gif

Just what I needed to know! I have the same problem cheer.gif Thanks for your inspiration. BTW, what is butylene? cheer.gif
IronHillRestorations
I just use tape smile.gif
90quattrocoupe
I use a little butyl in my nut drivers to keep nuts in, in order to start the nuts.

Greg W.
Hans Zupp
So you're saying it's futile without using butyl confused24.gif

poke.gif
76-914
Just found another good use for butyl. If you have a rear view mirror that is "loose as a goose" place a string of butyl ~ 2mm thick x 12mm long and press it around the swivel ball. Takes up the slack and you can still adjust the mirror. The black butyl blends right in and won't be an eyesore. beerchug.gif
76-914
Here's one use most of us here can relate to. If you have a worn screw trim plug or receptacle place a 1mm ring of butyl arund the plug shank then press in. I have the small 914Rubber silicone replacement ones but where there is a large plug or damaged lip I used black butyl. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
We need to start a sticky "Hints from Helousise" thread of these sorts of great ideas for our little cars...

Oops, did I just make a reference that dates me as "old"? laugh.gif
bobboinski
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 8 2019, 04:33 PM) *

We need to start a sticky "Hints from Helousise" thread of these sorts of great ideas for our little cars...

Yes. Right there with you. Since we are in the same town we probably read Hints from Heloise in the same newspaper as kids.
76-914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 8 2019, 04:33 PM) *

Small world. Guess who was one of my very first customers. I did a plumbing call for her when we first opened years ago. How long ago? A service call was $29.50. Never cashed it. I framed the check and lost it in the divorce years later. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.