Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what are authentic sixes "really" going for these days?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
This "nice" barn find has been languishing on Ebay for some time now with an asking price of $69k.
There is likely a reason why it's not selling....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-o...xdI&vxp=mtr

Guess you could just drive this car as is???
But if it was me (the new owner), the door jams, trunks, engine compartment would always be letting me down, so the drive to make it nicer would always be in the back of my mind driving me crazy.

To make this car really step up to the next level, it likely needs a quality paint job (~$25k), rebuilt driveline (~$30k+), lots of new seals, interior refreshing, etc, etc.
Doing all the necessary work the right way doesn't come easily or cheaply.

By the time you add all this to the asking price of $69k, it really doesn't make much sense unless these cars are starting to go for nearly $150k.
There is another British racing green 914-6 on Ebay that is asking $145k.
These cars really are following the footsteps of the early 911 price explosion.
flyer86d
A customer of mine bought a 1967 912 that had been restored nicely about 8 years ago and he paid top dollar for a top dollar car. He had some pangs of regret and asked me if he paid too much. I told him to wait a few years and then ask me the same question. The price he paid was a bargain compared to what they are going for now and he has had to spend little on it for maintenance only.

They are not making any more factory 914-6s. Grab them when they come available. The same goes for any decent restorable 914. Buy them now, they will never be cheaper.

Charlie
RARE 6
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Oct 6 2018, 01:55 PM) *

A customer of mine bought a 1967 912 that had been restored nicely about 8 years ago and he paid top dollar for a top dollar car. He had some pangs of regret and asked me if he paid too much. I told him to wait a few years and then ask me the same question. The price he paid was a bargain compared to what they are going for now and he has had to spend little on it for maintenance only.

They are not making any more factory 914-6s. Grab them when they come available. The same goes for any decent restorable 914. Buy them now, they will never be cheaper.

Charlie

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. It looks driveable as is...perhaps even more so with a deep cleaning/polishing. Absent more detailed pics, it still looks like you'd be avoiding all the really expensive body restoration work. If you really want a trailer queen, the work could be done over time while you enjoy driving it.
Mike Fitton
Mine went for $82K on Bring a Trailer and it was a really nice car, I was thinking more like $90k but I netted the $82k buyer paid 5%. Here was my listing on BAT:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-7/

There a 2 going to auction this month RM/Sotheby Atlanta, GA on Oct. 27th estimates are over $100k and I don't think they are as nice as my car.
mepstein
They sure won’t be as fun as your outlaw.
914Sixer
I guess it is like the old adage, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Now IF I had kept the 3 914-6's and 1967 911S , I would have a big smile on my face.
fixer34
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 6 2018, 02:54 PM) *

This "nice" barn find has been languishing on Ebay for some time now with an asking price of $69k.
There is likely a reason why it's not selling....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-o...xdI&vxp=mtr

Guess you could just drive this car as is???
But if it was me (the new owner), the door jams, trunks, engine compartment would always be letting me down, so the drive to make it nicer would always be in the back of my mind driving me crazy.

To make this car really step up to the next level, it likely needs a quality paint job (~$25k), rebuilt driveline (~$30k+), lots of new seals, interior refreshing, etc, etc.
Doing all the necessary work the right way doesn't come easily or cheaply.

By the time you add all this to the asking price of $69k, it really doesn't make much sense unless these cars are starting to go for nearly $150k.
There is another British racing green 914-6 on Ebay that is asking $145k.
These cars really are following the footsteps of the early 911 price explosion.

I don't see anything mentioned in the ad about it running and/or being drivable after sitting for 20 years. Mine is a little rougher on the body, but I can jump in, turn the key and be off down the road...
raynekat
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Oct 6 2018, 03:40 PM) *

Mine went for $82K on Bring a Trailer and it was a really nice car, I was thinking more like $90k but I netted the $82k buyer paid 5%. Here was my listing on BAT:

There a 2 going to auction this month RM/Sotheby Atlanta, GA on Oct. 27th estimates are over $100k and I don't think they are as nice as my car.

Yours was much, much nicer than this barn find in my mind.
Your car's price makes some sense.
This barn find just doesn't to me....
jmitro
I think some people are just trying to capitalize on the exploding prices of air cooled porsches.
thelogo
QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 6 2018, 07:29 PM) *

I think some people are just trying to capitalize on the exploding prices of air cooled porsches.

agree.gif

Dont get me wrong i love me a nice 914-6

But 80k + just seems like you could get a nissan gtr for that money .
And i would imagine a real 6 doesn't see a lot of hard miles .

I know its a disease guys but that ebay car just seems like its really for lost and desperate souls

Ill take elliots old yellow car over a gtr or real /6 anyday
mepstein
QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 6 2018, 10:29 PM) *

I know my boss would be pretty pissed at me if I sold a car for less than top dollar because I didn’t want to capitalize on the air cooled Porsche market.
EdwardBlume
I'd rather park in my living room a conversion with a 3.2 stuffed in it.
jmitro
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2018, 06:20 AM) *

I know my boss would be pretty pissed at me if I sold a car for less than top dollar because I didn’t want to capitalize on the air cooled Porsche market.

but there is a realistic price and unrealistic price. when a car sits unsold for months it should be pretty clear the asking price is too high

there is a local 912 for sale that I have been watching for months. I saw it in person; it's a rustbucket without engine, interior, windows, hood, fuel tank etc. Asking was $9000 months ago; I offered 6 (it's probably worth less); he declined. two months later he still wouldn't take $6k unless it was without any wheels. It's now been on ebay at least twice and failed to meet reserve. Geez....
jagalyn
Corrosion in the hell hole, rear floor pan, firewall and jack donut is substantial with evidence of prior repair of the inner wheelhouse that was not done correctly. Car does not run and has not run for over 20 years.
Spoke
Air-Cooled-Porsche-itis isn't limited to 912's and 914's. If my '86 930 were concours Hagerty estimates it would be worth almost $250k. Even the fair value of $75k+ is great for a car I paid less than $20k back in 2009.

beerchug.gif
cary
When Matt and I toured Canepa's last week. Bruce had this restored 914-6 in the back room. Asking price $125,000.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mike Fitton
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 6 2018, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Oct 6 2018, 03:40 PM) *

Yours was much, much nicer than this barn find in my mind.
Your car's price makes some sense.
This barn find just doesn't to me....

RM/Sotheby wanted my car for this auction but with "no reserve" so I am assuming both of these 6's are at no reserve, so the estimate is way high in my opinion.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 7 2018, 09:07 AM) *

When Matt and I toured Canepa's last week. Bruce had this restored 914-6 in the back room. Asking price $125,000.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

with front license bracket on rear ?......no more than $124,000
gereed75
In my opinion there are two kinds of sixes (or any vintage collectible) - investment grade cars, and all the others.

The investment grade cars are in a condition and bought and sold and collected under circumstances that are different than the “other” cars.

I think also that 914’s have a different dynamic than other aircooled Porsche’s, and that is simply due to demand. Being just out of the mainstream, there s not the same demand as there is for the “iconic” 911. Yes there are fewer sixes out there than say early 911 S’s, but there is way less demand.

I think it is safe to say that for every person that wants and can afford a collectible six there are 20 or 50 ( or more) that want and can afford a collectible 911. At some point, most of those qualified buyers get the cars they want. When that happens, the market flattens.

I think that is where we are with sixes, and to a lesser degree with 911’s.

So to answer Raynekat’s question, I think investment grade sixes are pretty flat right now in the 90 - 125K range, the all other nice cars in the 65-80 range. All of the other “not so nice “cars, something less. I suspect, for reasons not completly apparent from the listing, that the silver car on eBay is a “not so nice” car and therefore bringing less.

Until the demand changes significantly, I don’t see a big change. And I am not smart enough to predict what changes the demand.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(thelogo @ Oct 6 2018, 08:27 PM) *

But 80k + just seems like you could get a nissan gtr for that money .

Apples and oranges... Plus car buying is not a rational exercise. If it were, we'd all be in Toyota Corollas.

--DD
larryM
QUOTE(thelogo @ Oct 6 2018, 08:27 PM) *

... 80k + just seems like you could get a nissan gtr for that money .

or we can buy 7 Boxsters with unknown engines, and have plenty of spare parts -

(sort'a like we-all did with 914's 15+ yrs ago)

or 12 Miatas - decent drivers with unending supply of cheap spare parts

or 2 new Subaru 3.6r Ltd's
(one of which we are about to buy, so i gotta make one "toy" car go away to get garage space for it)

confused24.gif (eenie-meenie-minie-mo: the MGB, the Miata or the -6/GT ?? ... BaT, here i come)

i've been impressed by BaT prices of late on all 3 of the models i own - looks like a best-bet venue for selling our toys
thelogo
Plus car buying is not a rational exercise. If it were, we'd all be in Toyota Corollas.

--DD
[/quote]
pray.gif

You said it dd

But i think a avalon is like a race car now or something.

Even toyota is trying to stir some passion into their cars screwy.gif lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.