Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sepia Brown? Might be worth looking at for someone in LA area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
If it was a factory Sepia Brown with the 98 paint code (special color/any Porsche color), then it would be one of the few special ordered 914s around, although most of the Sepia ones I know of are 73 or 74 2.0s. So it's a bit odd to me, for someone to have to spent the extra money for optional paint on a base 1.7.

Sepia was a standard color on 911s in some MYs.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
horizontally-opposed
While I've come around to many of Porsche's browns, I have never been able to come around to Sepia—or "Sale-Proof Brown," as the late Bruce Anderson called it—except on one car: an immaculate 914 2.0 from, I think, Sacramento? There was just something about that car...the way it was turned out, the 2.0 Fuchs, the details, etc. It looked super factory, which isn't always my thing, and Sepia worked. Maybe the fact I'd never seen another one played a part? Steve's beige 914 is like that....I find it mesmerizing. And it's beige, or tan. But it works.

As to special order paint on a base car, I've seen stranger things. Some Porsche customers don't care about horsepower as much as handling or other attributes (cough, cough biggrin.gif ), and there are times where the base powertrain/chassis/setup is either enough or more charismatic than the "upgrade" model (although it's hard to say either for the 914 1.7 vs the 914 2.0, this after having made do with a 1.7—or perhaps it was a tired 1911—for 20~ years).

The muffler is a trip. Anza-like or Triad-ish, but with two pipes. Not sure I've seen that before, and an indication that an enthusiast had it at some point. The missing engine grill has been preserved by an armrest, and then there's the weight-saving rear license plate light...

This is a cool car, and I hope it goes to someone who will restore it. So long as it isn't too rusty, my plan would be to restore it to original with mild (invisible) engine upgrades and a spare set of 2.0 Fuchs in the original look.
billh1963
Paint code 98?

Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 8 2018, 09:59 AM) *

If it was a factory Sepia Brown with the 98 paint code (special color/any Porsche color), then it would be one of the few special ordered 914s around, although most of the Sepia ones I know of are 73 or 74 2.0s. So it's a bit odd to me, for someone to have to spent the extra money for optional paint on a base 1.7.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

The one I sold was a '73 appearance group 2.0

I have a '72 911 in Sepia
Martin Baker
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 8 2018, 07:19 AM) *

an immaculate 914 2.0 from, I think, Sacramento? There was just something about that car...the way it was turned out, the 2.0 Fuchs, the details, etc. It looked super factory, which isn't always my thing, and Sepia worked.

His user ID was "Chili" I thought. Seems to have completely vanished from here, I did not know that was possible. Posts and all.

Here is his car next to mine at the 2009 Serrano Concur Event, PORSCHE was the featured marque, I was invited by some guy in a Raley's Supermarket parking lot, so I went. It was an SCCA judged affair. Only one award was given, as the other two cars did not accumulate enough points to place, strange, so three cars in class, one 2nd place awarded. The LE was from Rocklin, Ca.

He bought the Sepia 914 2.0 new, and it was very original.

MB
Chi-town
The body tag in the pic on craigslist says 98 color code.

I almost went and looked at this car before I bought mine, it just looked a little too disassembled
Mike Fitton
Front hood orange bar badge looks like a $400-$500 piece.
SirAndy
Somebody (other than me) needs to save this one!

driving.gif

rjames
What was the cost for a custom color and what was the difference in price for a 1.7 vs a 2.0 liter?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 8 2018, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 8 2018, 07:19 AM) *

an immaculate 914 2.0 from, I think, Sacramento? There was just something about that car...the way it was turned out, the 2.0 Fuchs, the details, etc. It looked super factory, which isn't always my thing, and Sepia worked.

His user ID was "Chili" I thought. Seems to have completely vanished from here, I did not know that was possible. Posts and all.

Here is his car next to mine at the 2009 Serrano Concur Event, PORSCHE was the featured marque, I was invited by some guy in a Raley's Supermarket parking lot, so I went. It was an SCCA judged affair. Only one award was given, as the other two cars did not accumulate enough points to place, strange, so three cars in class, one 2nd place awarded. The LE was from Rocklin, Ca.

He bought the Sepia 914 2.0 new, and it was very original.

MB

That's the car. Say what you want about Sepia, but it really works with all of the 914's brightwork and those factory finish Fuchs. I'm all in. wub.gif

Wonder how Chill managed to disappear himself from 914world? Too bad...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 8 2018, 08:02 AM) *

Not vanished, his username is Chilli (Note the two LL)

He hasn't posted since 2014 though ...
shades.gif
Dave_Darling
Chilli is a well-known guy to the local PCA. He was the announcer at many of the track days, organized a lot of the Sac region stuff, and was a concours enthusiast in particular, as I remember.

He sold his 934 look-alike many years back, and then his 914 a few years ago.

--DD
914_teener
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 8 2018, 10:09 AM) *

Somebody (other than me) needs to save this one!

driving.gif

agree.gif

Can't be me....it even has the orig blue plates and most of the 73 stuff is right.

Even the exhaust is period....and different.

idea.gif
Chi-town
If everyone chips in $50 I'll go save it laugh.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 8 2018, 06:59 AM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

My 73 911s was Sepia Brown and loved it but I would pass now on a 914

Bob B
bulliporker
been looking for a really straight ivory white 73/74 2.0 and found a 2 owner 80% original paint sepia brown 1700cc car even has the wooden dash install
Dave_Darling
I think I just saw a Sepia Brown car in Kona, HI. Didn't get a pic, sadly, as it was going the other direction. I saw a rear reflector.

--DD
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 20 2018, 08:45 PM) *

I think I just saw a Sepia Brown car in Kona, HI. Didn't get a pic, sadly, as it was going the other direction. I saw a rear reflector.

--DD

Hope you made time to sample all the coffee there.

Great place

beer3.gif

Oscar
Dave_Darling
ALL the coffee? Sorry, we're not here for the six months that would take... biggrin.gif

--DD
Tdskip
Hi guys-I had a chance to take a look at this car and unfortunately it's pretty far gone.

The rust in the trunk has made its way into the vertical section, the driver side front fender is pretty mangled behind the front wheel, and there is floor rust as well.

It looks to be pretty complete, but it's partially disassembled and everything is filthy.

:-(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.