Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Railroad Ties
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
just curious, does anyone know the weight of a RailRoad Tie?
GWN7
From "Ask Jeeves" ..."Each railroad tie weighs and uses about 200 pounds of recyclable material. ... Polywood ties weigh 200 pounds, about the same weight of a wood tie."

But I don't think so...mabey 50 lbs
Trekkor
You talking about the little bow ties that the conductor might wear or the kerchief of the engineer?

What?...Oh, nevermind. biggrin.gif

KT

( call a landscape supply ) wink.gif
meares
i'm in the garbage business.......they're HEAVY, and at least in georgia, they have to be manifested........they are considered special waste
Part Pricer

It depends upon the material (wood) that the tie is made from. These weights are for treated ties.

spare time toys
I helped a friend whose brother works for the rail road load some up on his trailer. I wish they only were 200 pounds We need a smile holding its side where it got a hernia
rhodyguy
my guess would be around 70 lbs sean. what do you plan to do with them? they leach out chemicals like you wouldn't believe. disposing of them is a big hassle. in wa they're considered hazzardous waste. exspensive to get rid of. they have to be shipped to a special repository(dump). they contaminate soil they come in contact with. wear old clothes you can just throw away after handling them.

k
tat2dphreak
200 I think is a little high, for the ones you get at the lumber yards and such... maybe 100#, but even that's pushing it...
seanery
I ask because I bought 10 of them on Wednesday. The guy said they weighed about 100 pounds each, but I figured about twice that. I think I have either the hemlock or the oak ones...when I ran a sawzall through them they were a bit red.

thanks guys!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (seanery @ Jun 17 2005, 09:38 AM)
I ask because I bought 10 of them on Wednesday. The guy said they weighed about 100 pounds each, but I figured about twice that. I think I have either the hemlock or the oak ones...when I ran a sawzall through them they were a bit red.

thanks guys!

yea, I dunno about up there... I didn't think about the different woods... they are messy bastards... I used to work in a couple lumber yards and they will wear you out... but I still think a sack of concrete(100lbs) is heavier than the ones down here... anyone who's seen me KNOWS I'm not moving 200# of anything unless it's tied to the back of a truck... biggrin.gif
andys
I needed to make a heavy sled to level the drit in my yard to lay some sod.......Driving close to some RR tracks, I see a stack of about 6 ties in a field. Thought I'd help myself to one or two until I tried to load one by myself onto my truck.....forget it!

Andy
J P Stein
I've never weighed one but picked up one end several times.....they are pop your gizzard heavy.

BTW, NEVER use used RR ties for anything on your property. The creosote (sp) penetrates about an inch in. The spike holes make glorius housing for critters....the ones with 6-8 legs, carpenter ants, termites...yada. They build an easy colony in there then start eyeballin' your house.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 17 2005, 01:36 PM)
The spike holes make glorius housing

so are those 'glory holes' ? wink.gif
Duffster
Range is 208 to 240, fresh from the treater. Older they are, the lighter they get. (opposite of us!) that is a standard straight track tie. Switches and such require longer ties, and they get REALLY heavy!
tdgray
QUOTE (seanery @ Jun 17 2005, 10:24 AM)
just curious, does anyone know the weight of a RailRoad Tie?

I don't know.... what is the air speed velocity of an African Swallow biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.