Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal Tech Day ideas - let's get something on the calendar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning gentlemen-the engine rebuild tech weekend isn't forgotten but I wanted to see if we could get a easier to pull off tech day going on one or more common tasks that people would like to see.

- valve adjustment
- FI component testing
- installing in tuning dual carbs
- adding a front or rear sway bar
- rear caliper brake adjustments
- installing turbo tire rods

Any of those jump out as worthwhile topics? Other ideas?
914-300Hemi
I would like to see a valve job done.
Tdskip
Hi there. Valve adjustment (easy) or a replacement of the valves with the head off the engine ( much more involved )?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 10 2018, 08:38 PM) *

Hi there. Valve adjustment (easy) or a replacement of the valves with the head off the engine ( much more involved )?

Valve replacement is not a do it yourself job. If you have to replace the valves you may also need to replace seats and guides. Checking if they need replacement is a DIY job.
Engine build is more like a 3 day class. It could be broken up to many smaller jobs.
bdstone914

Yes- valve adjustment
Yes D jet or L jet- ?? FI component testing
No - installing in tuning dual carbs
No. - adding a front or rear sway bar
Yes. - rear caliper brake adjustments
Yes - but requires alignment - installing turbo tire rods

Time permitting, I can help with instruction.
These should be video taped for future reference.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Oct 10 2018, 08:30 PM) *

I would like to see a valve job done.

Best left to a shop with air cooled experience.
Checking the condition of the heads yes. Such as compression check and leak down to assess engine condition.
ValcoOscar
popcorn[1].gif

You know I'm ALL IN in on whatever we can all agree on. Sharing knowledge is a big part of this community.

Oscar
Tdskip
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 11 2018, 07:58 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

You know I'm ALL IN in on whatever we can all agree on. Sharing knowledge is a big part of this community.

Oscar

And that's why we love you.

What would you like to see Oscar?

Let's put a valve adjustment on the list.

Would leaking oil return tubes be a good one?
euro911
That's another long process, requires removing the motor and moderate tear-down to remove the heads dry.gif

* Changing an alternator might be something to broach? - usually a two-man job to make it a shorter task, but it can be done by one.

* Installation of new strut cartridges and/or rear shock absorbers

* Installation of new ball joints and/or tie-rod ends

* Shift lever/rod adjustment

* Pop-up headlight adjustment and alignment
SO.O.C914er
I would be down for headlight adjustment and alignment....Paul. driving.gif could supply burgers and beer plus man the BBQ.
Tdskip
Hi guys-sounds like we've got enough interest to get something going, agree that the jobs need to be fairly easy to knock out.

I can arrange posting in Costa Mesa.

Are Saturdays or Sundays usually better for people?
euro911
Either day works for me
SO.O.C914er
Either day works for me also. But this Sunday is the G&R swap meet so I’m assuming we are talking about a weekend in the near future.....Paul
Tdskip
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Oct 11 2018, 09:46 PM) *

Either day works for me also. But this Sunday is the G&R swap meet so I’m assuming we are talking about a weekend in the near future.....Paul

Hi, yes. NOT this weekend, will be planned and published.
EdwardBlume
Will there be shuttles from the airport? biggrin.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Oct 11 2018, 08:57 PM) *

Will there be shuttles from the airport? biggrin.gif

Yes, I will be running a Shuttle on my way south to OC that day. Never underestimate the reach of Oscar’s extended network!

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.