Full Version: Heat exchangers rebuild.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Because I can .Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
db9146
Ben,

Given the apparent condition of the tubes you haven't replaced, is it really worth the effort? what about holes inside the clamshells?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(db9146 @ Oct 10 2018, 12:58 PM) *

Given the apparent condition of the tubes you haven't replaced, is it really worth the effort? what about holes inside the clamshells?

"Becasue I can" almost never comes attached to a statement that makes sense for purely logical reasons.

Instead its almost always attached because of the challenge, art, or just because it seemed like a good thing to do at the time.

To me, this seems like a bit of all three.

Zach
mb911
Actually inside the clam shell is perfect.. I vote scoped..

Sit back and wait for the finished results.
IronHillRestorations
We coulda made a deal. I made a set of L&R jigs for replacing the rear tube
mb911
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 10 2018, 10:23 AM) *

I made a simple Jig to do the job.. Gonna spray weld the pock marks.

restore2seater
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 10 2018, 02:55 PM) *

spray weld? Had to look that up. Is that something you do at home or in your class? Would be cool to see it being done in a video in this thread. poke.gif welder.gif
mb911
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Oct 10 2018, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 10 2018, 02:55 PM) *

spray weld? Had to look that up. Is that something you do at home or in your class? Would be cool to see it being done in a video in this thread. poke.gif welder.gif

I will see what I can do..
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Seeing how even version 2.0 of the dansk reproductions leave something to be desired, I think it’s really worth bringing these back.
johnhora
Isn't it crazy how these things rust and get all the pock marks...I'm really amazed at the good condition on the inside tubes on this set.

mepstein...what are you taking about on the new dansks ones...are they not the same?

somebody is making new style HEs biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(johnhora @ Oct 11 2018, 02:50 PM) *

Isn't it crazy how these things rust and get all the pock marks...I'm really amazed at the good condition on the inside tubes on this set.

mepstein...what are you taking about on the new dansks ones...are they not the same?

Yes, dansk is making the new ones but they have some issues. They are not an exact copy of the originals. Version one didn’t fit. Version 2 has some issues.
mb911
QUOTE(johnhora @ Oct 11 2018, 10:50 AM) *

I think becuase they get fresh air around them blowing constantly so they must control moisture or not heat up as much?

mb911
Also the best bang for the buck are my stainless ones. Click to view attachment
seanery
I soooo wish I could buy a pair of your stainless HE's right now! Soon. Hopefully, soon!
mb911
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 11 2018, 01:19 PM) *

I soooo wish I could buy a pair of your stainless HE's right now! Soon. Hopefully, soon!

Jan 1 there is gonna be a big price increase..
seanery
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 11 2018, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 11 2018, 01:19 PM) *

Jan 1 there is gonna be a big price increase..

I've read your posts and I just can't get it done by then. Sins of the past fuck up the future sometimes.... ;-) Soon, though
mb911
So I rebuilt the other side today and confirmed that the factory tubing is cast steel.. This is a very similar setup to the -4 heat exchangers material.. That is why there is the pock marks.. It is very thick material. Welds nice ..

mb911
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Easy enough to pressure test these just to be safe.
mb911
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 18 2018, 09:26 AM) *

Easy enough to pressure test these just to be safe.

Yup..
maf914
Ben, You do nice work. Is that finish a ceramic coating?
mb911
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 19 2018, 06:55 AM) *

Ben, You do nice work. Is that finish a ceramic coating?

No just powder paint. Most of it will burn away
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.