Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey guys, What tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lyressa Roberts
I'm getting new tires on my '14 this weekend as I'm getting tired of my nice “vibrating” car. I would like a really good pair of tires that stick but will last (hopefully those two criteria aren't mutually exclusive).

Also, since I will not be AX-ing my new tires, I will also be in the market for a new set of rims which I will also need tires for. If I remember correctly, the sizes I need (rims) are 16x7 and 16x8. However, I don’t know the offset. Maybe SirAndy can help me out on that. I would really like another set of what I already have (Fukes-sp.) but am not sure my budget will support those.

If anyone has some rims for sale that are affordable, I’m open to options…

biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
BFG g-force T/A KDWs are great tires... we have them on my Wife's car and I plan to get them on the teener.. a lot of people love the falken Azenzis too, but I cannot personally vouche for them
lotus_65
i like kumho. ecsta 712's are quiet, neutral and sticky. great in the heavy rain too. not meant for snow/ice.
TROJANMAN
get the kuhmo 711. make sure you negotiate the price with your local discount tire store. i just had them take off $20 of fluff per tire. it's a great all season tire, and has a longer treadwear rating than the 712.
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jun 17 2005, 07:54 AM)
get the kuhmo 711. make sure you negotiate the price with your local discount tire store. i just had them take off $20 of fluff per tire. it's a great all season tire, and has a longer treadwear rating than the 712.

Do the 711's make for a quiet, smooth ride?
Lyressa Roberts
Oops. My rims are 15's not 16's. That'll make for a little cheaper rims. biggrin.gif
TROJANMAN
i like 'em. biggrin.gif
you can probably get smoother ride with softer tires, but then you lose wearability. my last tires only lasted 14k miles, so i decided to try the khumos. for the couple of months i've had them, i really like them. the price was definitely right.
Lyressa Roberts
Brad has recommended Bridgestone or Dunlop...I don't really like Bridgestone (or at least I didn't like their tires in the past). Does anyone have good reports for these?
TROJANMAN
i may have been wrong, i am not sure if they are the 711, but here is alink to what they look like
KUHMO

they are on my DD, not my 914.
Rand
Kumho ECSTA 711
Jacques
.. a lot of people love the falken Azenzis too, but I cannot personally vouche for them

user posted image Absolutely the best Street tire money can buy; best value, instant performance!!
Jacques
Here it is >>

user posted image
grantsfo
I think it will depend on what size you want to go with. Kuhmo has just released their new Ecsta SPT in a 195/55/15 and a 205/50/15. The Kuhmo 712 Supra is a good cheap tire. Yokohama ES 100 is a decent tire. Bridgestone S-03 is an awesome tire, but expensive. Bridgestone RE750 is a decent tire. I have driven both and they are much better than Bridgestones of the past. I love the Falken Azenis Sport RT 615, but its not going to last much more than 15,000 miles of street driving.
Lyressa Roberts
What is currently on it is:

205/50ZR15 and 225/50ZR15
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Jacques @ Jun 17 2005, 10:23 AM)
Here it is >>

user posted image

Cool tread pattern.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Jacques @ Jun 17 2005, 10:23 AM)
Here it is >>

user posted image

That model has been replaced with the 615. It almost impossible to find the old Azenis sports with that tread pattern now. This is what the new Azenis Sport RT 615 looks like:

user posted image
Mueller
I'd stay away from the 712's...too stiff for a comfortable ride...those pretty looking Falken Azenis tires wouldn't be a good choice for a "driver", like Grant mentioned, the life on them will be limited I'd be leary of them in the rain when they start to get worn.
TravisNeff
I have Bridgestone S03's on my car, I had a $100 rebate from tirerack/bridgestone on the set. Nice tire
ematulac
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jun 17 2005, 11:11 AM)
Brad has recommended Bridgestone or Dunlop...I don't really like Bridgestone (or at least I didn't like their tires in the past). Does anyone have good reports for these?

I don't trust Bridgestones. The ones on my Audi broke loose with no warning, and they were pretty much silent while i slid off the road.

Dunlops are ok. My brother likes the sp 9000's on his miata. In my experience they aren't as stiff as I'd like, and I shred 'em up pretty quick, but they have never let me down.

I've got BFG's on my Honda now, and I like 'em a lot. I'm planning on getting Goodyear F1 G3's for my recently acquired fuchs. smile.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jun 17 2005, 10:30 AM)
What is currently on it is:

205/50ZR15 and 225/50ZR15

All the tires I mentioned come in those sizes, not sure if the Falken does. If youre after comfort the Bridgestone RE 750 is comfortable. It just wont grip like the Bridgestone SO3 or the Falkens. The Yokohama ES 100 is hard to beat for price/value.

One note on the Falkens. They offer superior wet traction the first 7000 miles then they are strictly a summer tire. And nothing in a street compound comes close to the grip the falkens give on dry pavement.
hmeeder
I will second the recommendation of the Falkens for a dry weather tire. I am on my second set of the older tread pattern and I feel they are superior to every other tire I have had for both wear and stiction.

However, they are a complete nightmare on a wet road (epecially with the aggressive setup of my suspension.) The new tire is equal to the old for traction and control (I 'broke in" a set for a friend) and it has been said that the change in tread pattern was to help shed water and reduce aquaplaning.

I would buy another set for combo street and AX. I find them to be both aggressive and confortable. Tire Rack rated them low for tire noise, though in a 914 this really is a non-issue.

My $.02
Scott Carlberg
Discount Tire Ratings for 205/50-15

has Good, Better & Best!
Mueller
QUOTE (ematulac @ Jun 17 2005, 11:47 AM)
I don't trust Bridgestones. The ones on my Audi broke loose with no warning, and they were pretty much silent while i slid off the road.

I feel the same way with Kumhos....less than 4,000 miles, about a 2 second warning before tossing us sideways into a big rig at 70+mph

tire:
Mueller
after impact with big rig...luckly when we spun we hit the rear tires of the trailer instead of going under the trailer:

TROJANMAN
did you try suing the tire comapny?
Mueller
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jun 17 2005, 01:38 PM)
did you try suing the tire comapny?

the tire was supposed to be inspected, but got tossed by accident by the body shop.......not that big of deal since insurance paid for everything (to the tune of over $17K, new factory fenders, new facotry hood, etc, etc....)

my wife and I walked away with no injuries so no need to take it to court...she was driving, I had a few too many of these that night beer3.gif

i have heard of other people running the Kumho 712s having the same type of tire failure, basicly the sidewall of these tires are so stiff that it is difficult to tell if you have a flat tire until it is too late.........
Joe Bob
I got Kumhos on the 356, the 914, 911 and the wif's truck....cheep and gud.... cool_shades.gif
bd1308
ZE-502 good for me, okay in rain. bad in snow. need a winter set of tires
bernbomb914
you might look into Nitto NT450s extreme performance tires they are V rated with directional tread. I find themvery quite and they stuck very good at willow at the wwc2 . they were a good price also.

Bernie burnout.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Jun 17 2005, 01:14 PM)
you might look into Nitto NT450s extreme performance tires they are V rated with directional tread. I find themvery quite and they stuck very good at willow at the wwc2 . they were a good price also.

Bernie burnout.gif

i've had those nittos on various cars at various times. not exactly a tire that lasts very long on hot roads.
grantsfo
Forgot to mention the Toyo Proxes T1s. They are a comfortable tire and they grip well but I dont like the soft sidewall. Toyo makes them in the size you are looking at as well.

john grier
I am also looking for street tires that handle well.
Are michilens out of the question?
John
Joe Bob
$200+ a copy sure.....

I paid like 90 and 110 for 225 and 245/45 16s.....
xsboost90
man, seems like everyone has varied opinions on tires...i have yokohama avs and they are great! I know my bud ran them on his 911 for some time and they still look great, and super sticky. I replaced the rears for clearance but price/performance and longevity are great so far. burnout.gif
john grier
I belive everyone has their preferred brand that works for them.
But what size for a daily driver?
Not ax.
Interstate driveing and street for handleing and comfort.
Thanks John
SirAndy
nankang ...

i ran mine for 3 years now, including a full season of AX, they're pretty worn now (still run them btw.) but they were great dry & wet plus fairly cheap ...

all the usual outlets will have them ...
wink.gif Andy
racejoe
For me, good touring tire, long life, quiet, good performance especially good traction transition at the limit...

Goodyear Eagle GT-HR

For more grip at limit and good looking tire

Goodyear Assurance Tripletred.

But those are in 195/60R15
anthony
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jun 17 2005, 10:57 AM)
Oops. My rims are 15's not 16's. That'll make for a little cheaper rims. biggrin.gif

If you are buying a second set of wheels you could go with 16s if you want. Fuchs in that size though are spendy - probably $1200 for a set of 16x7s and 8s. 15x7 and 8s probably aren't much cheaper though.

A cheaper option might be to run 16x7s all the way around. They go for $300/pair in nice shape. It all depends on the spacers you have or would need for those fender flares and the length of the studs. Did you get the real 5 lug setup installed?

Another thing to consider for street tires/wheels. Your current sizes 205-50-15 and 225-50-15 are roughly 2 inches (front) and 1 inch (rear) smaller in diameter than the stock tire size. If you went with the stock 911 diameter tires (205-55-16, 225-55-16) you could lower your freeway rpms. It might make the car a nicer cruiser assuming of course stock gearing.

My tire recommendations:

top of the line:
Bridgestone SO-3. It seems to be the best (as in stickiest) tire you can buy for the street that isn't a track tire.

Budget:
Yokohama AVS ES100
If you aren't AXing on the street tires then this is plenty of tire. Lots of bang for the buck.

I wouldn't run the Falken's on a daily driver.
Joe Bob
Yeah...go 16x7s and space out the rears an inch..... go 205 up front and 225 or 245 in the rear....assuming you have flares. The ROCKET loved that combo....
RAR
For dry AND wet the SO-3 is the ticket. It won't last a long time if you AX them though. The RE 750 is a budget version of the SO-3, and very good too. For AX in the dry, use what most the winners use (I forget which that is, but they don't rate well in the wet). There is a new Avon M-tech 500 which tests very good for the street and is less expensive than the Bridgestone's mentioned above. The current crop of Bridgestone's (SO-3 and RE 750 are both Bridgestone) is excellent.
ematulac
QUOTE (racejoe @ Jun 17 2005, 06:15 PM)
For me, good touring tire, long life, quiet, good performance especially good traction transition at the limit...

Goodyear Eagle GT-HR

For more grip at limit and good looking tire

Goodyear Assurance Tripletred.

But those are in 195/60R15

I love both of those tires.

The Eagle GT HR's in particular give a pretty good balance of performance and value, IMO.
mikelsr
I have the Yokohama ES 100 205/50/15 on my 914 and the Kuhmo Ecsta 712 225/40/18 265/35/18 on the Boxster. I like them both. I have only had the Yoko's for a couple of months so I can't tell you how they wear yet (although I do use them to ax).

Mike
914fire
JUst put a set of Fuzion hri's on mine have had it on the road yet but since its just going to be used as a weekend run around car and no a/x how bad can they be? confused24.gif
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (914fire @ Jun 18 2005, 08:56 AM)
JUst put a set of Fuzion hri's on mine have had it on the road yet but since its just going to be used as a weekend run around car and no a/x how bad can they be? confused24.gif

Actually, mine is a daily driver, so I need good tread wear.

Well, you guys have given me a good choice to look for. I'm going to start looking around and see if anyone has these in stock...I'll probably go with the one that IS in stock so I can take care of my vibration problem PDQ (it's driving me nuts).

Thanks!!! biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Kumho 711s are good tires, sticky, not to sticky, great wear, and cheap as dirt... 50 bucks or so per tire... www.tirerack.com..

J P Stein
Jeeze.....3 pages and nobody said:

"GET THE ROUND BLACK ONES"

the respect being shown must be from your relationship with the member formerly known as "asshole" laugh.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 18 2005, 02:48 PM)

the respect being shown must be from your relationship with the member formerly known as "asshole" laugh.gif

How do ya make them Tiars sing????

Put chains on them.....

"I..... been working on a chain gang...."

Thank yew...I'm here all week, tip yer waitresses... cool_shades.gif
Bleyseng
I have the Dunlops S9000 and they have been great. Might not last as long as you might like for a DD thou.

Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 18 2005, 02:48 PM)

LOL!!! That's a good one. Yea, they would have to be round and black. laugh.gif

I actually ended up going with Nitto (sp). Hopefully, they'll do me some good. smile.gif
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jun 18 2005, 03:17 PM)
I have the Dunlops S9000 and they have been great. Might not last as long as you might like for a DD thou.

Actually, they don't make Dunlops for one of the sizes I need...so that one was out. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.