Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear calipers for 1971 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
Hey guys, I took my car to a local shop for a brake job. I got all the parts from PMB and I am extremely happy with everything I ordered and received. He said the calipers were "probably good." The shop just called and said the front brakes were difficult but were done perfectly in the end. The rears, not so much. The rear calipers are bad. Now I need calipers FAST as it is taking up a stall at the shop. PMB is closed but from what I can tell they want your old calibers and they will rebuild them but there is a 10 day to week turnaround. Any suggestions?
mepstein
PMB usually has stock units ready to go. You get the core charge back when you return yours. They ship priority but you are still probably looking at next week. Make sure to remove your inner adjusters on the rears since they are not included with the new calipers.
milwlandrover
That's good news. I left a message on the PMB website and they have been very helpful so far. Can't wait to get the car rolling (and stopping). thanks

cheers!

markw
IronHillRestorations
I have a set of NOS in the box, if you're interested PM me
JamesM
Was down at PMB last week talking to Eric. Sounds like he has been having issues getting people to return rear cores so don't be surprised if they don't have any to ship on exchange, but call them and see, he might.

I have to ask though, is this local shop you took your car to familiar with how 914 rear brakes are adjusted? Really easy to think they are broken if you are not familiar with them as they are sort of an odd design. Also, if they arnt leaking or binding against the rotors you could just re-install them and have a derivable car until you source your replacements. Non functional rear brakes is pretty common in 914s.
euro911
agree.gif if they're not adjusted properly, they'll start leaking and will need rebuilt - don't ask me how I know dry.gif
milwlandrover
Once again, I asked and you guys came through. Thanks to everyone especially 913B who found what I needed laying in his garage and is shipping to me. I don't know if everyone knows how nice it is to have a 47 year old car that you know you can get immediate answers to questions and even physical help from you members. I see all the time people volunteering to drive hundreds of miles to help on rebuild or just trouble areas. I live in Southeast Wisconsin were 914's are pretty rare. When I get can people ask if it is a Ferrari. Thanks again to everyone.

Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.