Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to break in to a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wwhalenc
Has anyone been in the position of having no key for their 914? I need to fly in to pick up my car from San Jose, but it looks like I won't be able to have the key for it. What am I up against? Anyone know what steps I'll have to take to get a key for the car? (if it's like newer VWs, I'll need to break in and remove the door lock and get the number off of it...of course, that's assuming the door and ignition key match). Thanks for any help/info. --Chris
otto
Easy. Take a screwdriver to the top part of the vent wing window and pry it out. It comes out easly and doesn't do any damage.
wwhalenc
Really? Wow..that IS easy. This isn't just a weakness for earlier cars or anything? This is a '75.

How about getting a key?
MarkG
QUOTE (otto @ Jun 17 2005, 07:44 AM)
Easy. Take a screwdriver to the top part of the vent wing window and pry it out. It comes out easly and doesn't do any damage.

When I bought my 914 it came with a few pages of hand written history of work done by 2 previouse owners;

One owner indicated while in storage, someone broke into the car doing just that....prying the wing window off. Worked out good for me as the PO replaced everything stolen w/new stuff (seat cushions, radio etc.).
mihai914
You can also have a locksmith come over, they open the door then remove one of the locks and make a key in their work van. You may have to provide some proof of ownership for the guy.

Last time I had this done was years ago and cost me around $40.
Joe Bob
Are you or the owner a AAA member? Free locksmith to anyone who has a card and is there to show ID. Gud idea for a newbie 914 owner as well.... I use ALL of my tows every year....I even scam some from the wife's card when I get down to my last free tow.
wwhalenc
Hmm...I need to leave in a week. I don't know if I'll be able to use the MacDaddy AAA (I think they have a blackout period for after you join).

$40 sounds way cheap to have locksmith do that...is it just cause they're older cars? Anyone in San Jose know a locksmith that could come anywhere near that price?

Thanks for all the help/suggestions btw.
grantsfo
I saw the coolest tool used on mine a few months ago. Thin inflatable bladder slipped between the rear part of the side window and rubber seal. Gently inflated it bows the window enough to slide a coat hanger or hook device into pull the door latch open.

If the window is cracked open the slightest amount it should give you enough room to either nudge the window handle with a coat hanger or slip a coat hanger with a hook around the door handle. The one time I locked myself out of the 914 it was raining and my windows were all closed tightly.

SirAndy
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 17 2005, 08:59 AM)
Are you or the owner a AAA member?

agree.gif took the AAA guy the better half of 10 seconds to open the car when i had locked myself out ...

after that, remove the door handle and have a key made. you can buy blank keys from all the usual parts houses ...

wink.gif Andy
wwhalenc
Cool!..so any old key place can do keys that old from the door handle. Good news. Now hopefully the ignition key matches huh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (wwhalenc @ Jun 17 2005, 10:23 AM)
Cool!..so any old key place can do keys that old from the door handle. Good news. Now hopefully the ignition key matches huh.gif

in fact, if you have an old 914 key (*any* key will do) remove the lock and drive up to HPH (redwood city) and have rich match the tumblers in the cylinder to the key you have.

i did that not too long ago as i had a key that would only match the drivers door but none of the other locks.
took out each lock and replaced the tumblers to match my key. by far the easiest way to get one key for all locks in your car ...

wink.gif Andy

PS: you'll need to find a real locksmith, those guys at OSH/HD etc. won't touch a porsche key ...
rhodyguy
when the 73' was boosted it came back without a key. a mobile locksmith charged $80 to "read" the ignition tumblers and cut me 2 new keys. it took about 1/2 hour. consult the yellow pages local to your car's location. try not to do it on a weekend, the cost will be higher.

k
Rand
In case more ideas are helpful, I remembered seeing a couple threads and did a quick search...

one

two
URY914
Once you get in w/o a key.
Getting it started w/o a key is simple too.

You can take the streering column apart in 3 minutes to get to the switch that is behind the lock body.

Done it several times.

Paul
bd1308
coat hanger inserted in the little spot between the door edge and the window....shove it up and down, pop and door unlocked
wwhalenc
Thanks all!
ematulac
I almost forgot ...

My driver's side door handle stopped working once and I ended up locking the keys in the car while the engine was running.

We ended up inserting a coat hanger between the driver's side window and the top, and we were able to unlock the passenger side door. Took a couple of tries, but it was relatively easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.