Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decent reasonable insurance....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello out there.....I have used Infinity Insurance for ten years and they have been very good for me. My renewal just came up and I asked if my car got stolen how much would I get? My agent first said $10,000.....then said between $7,500 and $15,000. I think I need a higher value to be made whole in case of a disaster. I called Hagerty and they don't insure in California unless you have a garage (due to theft in California). Anyone know of a good insurance company that won't break the bank? I think my yearly premium is about $900. Thank you very much.
gg
76-914
Hagerty
second wind
Hagerty and Grundy require a garage....I don't have a garage.
gg
GregAmy
I think all named-value "classic" car insurance companies require the car to be stored in a locked garage, not outside nor in a trailer.

I'm with American Modern (through Hagerty) for both the street 914 and the race 914 and Civic Si (latter "storage, transportation, and paddock" only). All policies require a locked garage for storage.

So, absent a locked garage, you are stuck with regular comp/collision insurance, will will leave you subject to the insurance adjuster's whims on replacement value.
Chris914n6
Pretty sure all the regular insurers will let you do declared value. I know Progressive would, but I wasn't that happy with the cost compared to classic ins.
914_teener
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 12 2018, 12:35 PM) *

I think all named-value "classic" car insurance companies require the car to be stored in a locked garage, not outside nor in a trailer.

I'm with American Modern (through Hagerty) for both the street 914 and the race 914 and Civic Si (latter "storage, transportation, and paddock" only). All policies require a locked garage for storage.

So, absent a locked garage, you are stuck with regular comp/collision insurance, will will leave you subject to the insurance adjuster's whims on replacement value.

agree.gif

And replacement value is different then agreed value.

mepstein
I’m with American. $140 for the first 914, $75 for the second - per year. But a garage is mandatory.
914-300Hemi
I use Hagerty but you can look into Leland West. https://www.lelandwest.com
They also give a discount to PCA members
iankarr
Believe it or not, I got great coverage and pricing from Chubb. Only about $300 / year for my 914, valued at 25K.
second wind
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Oct 12 2018, 02:39 PM) *

Believe it or not, I got great coverage and pricing from Chubb. Only about $300 / year for my 914, valued at 25K.

Oh I believe......please post the info....thank you very much!!!
All the best,
gg
iankarr
Best to just ask your local Chubb broker. But I know my policy limits driving to 3K miles per year.
Larmo63
I recently inquired with Leland West for my 914 and Karmann Ghia. I couldn't believe how unprofessional they treated me. I only tried them because of their ads in Panorama and a possible PCA discount.

They were really weird to deal with, I went with Hagerty. Easy peasy.
kgruen2
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 12 2018, 07:26 PM) *

I recently inquired with Leland West for my 914 and Karmann Ghia. I couldn't believe how unprofessional they treated me. I only tried them because of their ads in Panorama and a possible PCA discount.

They were really weird to deal with, I went with Hagerty. Easy peasy.

State Farm. Declared value of 25,000. $156 every 6 mo. (that includes many discounts as I have multi lines and multi cars with them).
Tdskip
Hagert, Hagerty and then some more Hagerty
Amphicar770
Hagerty every time. I had a claim with them in another vehicle some years back. They went far above and beyond to make sure it was properly repaired.
RickS
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Oct 12 2018, 02:39 PM) *

Agreed value? If so I am switching from America Modern.

Got screwed on a claim by State Farce, so never again. All insurance carriers are great at accepting your money, but how they treat claims is the real test.
TravisNeff
I got a quote from state farm or farmers the price was good as I was doing house and all the cars on them. They even said they had agreed value policies fro the porsches.

I asked a few more questions on it. They said, I would pick the price, and pay the premium for the coverage. however, when a loss occurs they will come out and then tell me what they think my car is worth. I ran as fast as I could..
mepstein
I have an insurance broker who is good at reading the fine print and explaining what I am really buying. He doesn’t make as much being honest but I’ve referred him to a dozen people so he knows the value and does well in the end.
Montreal914
Would any of these "specialized" insurer cover my daily driven 914 (about 5-10k mi/yr) garaged kept?
RARE 6
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Oct 13 2018, 09:11 AM) *

Would any of these "specialized" insurer cover my daily driven 914 (about 5-10k mi/yr) garaged kept?

My experience in running the traps with most of the mentioned carriers is that they will not offer firm value policies without driving restrictions, including mileage limits and specifically no daily driving or commuting. As mentioned, all require garage storage and need to see an additional available means of daily transportation.
Had the completely opposite experience from Larmo's with Leland West. Quick and responsive when I switched a year ago and also when I renewed and upped the value on the -6 just a week or so ago.
Wish any of the carriers would offer agreed value on my resto-mod '74 Landcruiser but all exclude any off road activity.
DRPHIL914
Maybe you could look into a locked storage space near you? that may qualify as a locked garage space. we have so many here now they are fairly cheep. i just upped my agreed value on the 914 with Hagerty.. Covered for $35,000 full on it , $350 per year and the Bixster is on same policy,)300$ for it , no limit on mileage for either one
Andyrew
I was American Collectors but they raised their rate and Hagerty was 200 less a year. 914 has a 35k and the 944 a 15k and it's around 800 I think a year.

Hagerty bumped their prices last year a bit.
Mark Henry
Here in Ontario Hagerty, it has to be in a garage and you must have a DD.
My sons car doesn't qualify, must be over 25 and pleasure use only.
$350 for 3 cars, my '74 914, '67 bug and '67 bus.
Shadowfax
I have Hagerty on my 911. Agree completely with Amphicar770 that their claim service is second to none. They gave me an exception to the enclosed garage requirement when I lost my storage space. They said a garage was not necessary since I don’t live in the hurricane zone. Might be worth asking if they’d grant an exception.

Have Progressive collectors car coverage with agreed value on the 914. A little more than Hagerty but am pleased with their service too. Haven’t had to make a claim though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.