Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake lights dont work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
What is the most likely cause of the nonfunctioning lights? So i dont think its a fuse or the bulbs, i checked close the filaments are ok, the driving light part lights up when light switch is turned on, so it seems most likely that the switch quit working. it seems the wires are on tight and when brake pedal is pushed in the switch is moving correctly. My switch is a double pole switch, does it matter which wires go where? There is a black/ grey wire that goes to bottom pole, and the other group go to the top one. i would like to pull the switch and test it but its not easy to access it.

ideas or suggestions ?

Phil
jcd914
Get a voltmeter or a 12volt test light and test for power to the fuse for the brake lights, power to the brake light switch and power out of the brake light switch. If those check out then check for power at the tail light housings.

Electrical parts are hard to check visually.

Jim
billh1963
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 13 2018, 01:52 AM) *

Get a voltmeter or a 12volt test light and test for power to the fuse for the brake lights, power to the brake light switch and power out of the brake light switch. If those check out then check for power at the tail light housings.

Electrical parts are hard to check visually.

Jim

Yep.

With new paint make sure your grounds are good as well.
76-914
Be sure that the small pigtail that goes to your brake switch is routed correctly and not cut by your pedal. That switch is easily accessible if you pull the seat and accelerator pedal.
PanelBilly
Few weeks back my brake lights stopped working. I pulled the switch on the brake peddle and tested it with an meter finding that it was the problem. After looking up the replacement cost, I tried the meter again just to make sure. Worked intermittently. I snapped the lever a few times and woola. It worked. Maybe there was some dirt in there blocking the connection. Checked multiple times and it always worked. I reinstalled it and everything’s fine.
Spoke
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 13 2018, 12:26 PM) *

Few weeks back my brake lights stopped working. I pulled the switch on the brake peddle and tested it with an meter finding that it was the problem. After looking up the replacement cost, I tried the meter again just to make sure. Worked intermittently. I snapped the lever a few times and woola. It worked. Maybe there was some dirt in there blocking the connection. Checked multiple times and it always worked. I reinstalled it and everything’s fine.

As you noted, mechanical switches can get dirty, arced over, and oxidized and stop working or working intermittently. When you do the exercising of the switch it's also very helpful if contact cleaner is sprayed into the switch. Drown that thing in cleaner.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 13 2018, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 13 2018, 12:26 PM) *

As you noted, mechanical switches can get dirty, arced over, and oxidized and stop working or working intermittently. When you do the exercising of the switch it's also very helpful if contact cleaner is sprayed into the switch. Drown that thing in cleaner.

its a good place to start, i will get home tomorrow, and pull the switch and test it. its not as easy as suggested when you have a center console in the way. i dont see anywhere that the the wire would be pinched and the connection to switch are tight. The little lever that moves with brake pedal moves freely. since i checked the grounds and the fuses, and bulbs check out good too, it looks like the switch is most likely culprit. i ordered a new one from sierra m. just in case.
bdstone914
Start at the easiest points to check, Fuse, power at lights at the rear. Rarely do the brake light switches go bad or have issues.
If you install the Sierra Madre switch it is probably a Uro and are way out of adjustment. It is actually the same as genuine Porsche. Nearly impossible to adjust in the car. Look at the amount of thread exposed above the jam nut. Set the new one to the same height. Test after installation to see when the lights come on. It should activate with about 1 inch of pedal travel. Turn in the screw to make the lights come on sooner.
Bruce
bdstone914
@DRPHIL914 fyi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.