Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mexican Thermostat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tvdinnerbythepool
Hey Guys,

Putting my cooling system back in action. Got a new cable and discovered the thermostat wasn't opening or closing properly so I ordered the Mexican style one from AA.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Thermos...021119159A.html

Now that i'm looking to install it, i'm seeing some fairly negative opinions about this style, particularly in that if it fails, it fails doors shut.

Anyone else have used this and have any feedback?

Should I just try and find a good used OEM one?

Thanks! -Rob
mepstein
there is a company that sells good used ones and brand new ones that are the correct type. I forget the name right now but someone will chime in. It's worth the money to get the right part. These days, the way we baby our cars, it should last a long time.
billh1963
After having dropped a valve seat a few years from overheating caused by a Mexican thermostat failing, no way in hell would I buy the Mexican unit. No one should even stock that item.

When I pulled the engine and removed the heads I tested the thermostat and found the problem. Too late, unfortunately.

Mark is referring to this company. Buy from here:
914 thermostat
tvdinnerbythepool
As always...you guys rock!
injunmort
awesome powdercoat has them but pricey at $129.00.
rhodyguy
Cheap insurance @$129. Not that long ago that is what a used one, in good working including bracket order, fetched.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the thermostats work great. There was even a segment on wheeler dealer about installing one on a 914 engine. These were the same ones installed on the later production beetles by the factory so they were not about to install one improperly. There are several installation guides out there, We have never had one fail
mepstein
QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 13 2018, 10:07 AM) *

awesome powdercoat has them but pricey at $129.00.

Worth it.
They sometimes stock refurbished ones.
porschetub
Read nothing really good about them on theSamba.com otherwise never used one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.