Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts are worth whatever the market will bear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
rhodyguy
Perhaps viewers should keep their opinions to themselves dry.gif . I had no idea that 'parts pricing police' tin badges had been distributed.. rolleyes.gif
sixnotfour
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=194079

Do not comment on people's ads unless you are interested in purchasing the item or vehicle and you are requesting further information from the seller.

If you have personal issues with a seller, keep them as such... personal.

If you think the ad is misleading, contact the seller and an Admin via private message.

Any further abuse or violations of the site rules (name calling) will get you banned.
Chi-town
And then there's a post stickied at the top of the classifieds about watching out for price gouging?

These two things contradict each other.

We don't want people taking advantage of members but you're not allowed to say anything to prevent it.

For those of us who are new like myself I respect the opinion of the senior members and the help and direction they offer. Personally would rather have someone respectfully comment on my post and help me understand where the market price range normally is rather than being known as a price gouger and not understand why my stuff doesn't sell.
rhodyguy
When selling, if the items don't move there are 2 scenarios. Really simple. Either priced too high or not that desireable. Questions regarding parts and applications are easily answered in the garage. I fail to see the contridiction. One is a general rule and the other a warning. One is free to asking whatever they want for an item but that doesn't mean the ad is open for critisism.
Chi-town
Yet the criticism is there stickied to the top of the classifieds? What's the difference between that and a member post?

Yes, you are free to ask whatever you want but if you're completely unreasonable in your pricing and someone says something about it what's the big deal?

It happens in real life all the time at every car parts swap meet I've ever been to in the last 30 years. Why should the internet be any different?

I've seen this conversation on every forum I've ever been on all the way back to the BBS days and it's a no win situation.

Do you allow others members to protect other members from getting taken advantage of or do you protect the seller just because he thinks what he has is worth it's weight in gold and doesn't like people telling him otherwise? I've always advocated for the criticism because it keeps the market more honest.
And as I said before, us beginners who don't know the proper value of parts yet appreciate the senior members putting in the posts to keep us from getting hung out to dry.
thelogo
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 13 2018, 06:56 AM) *

Perhaps viewers should keep their opinions to themselves dry.gif . I had no idea that 'parts pricing police' tin badges had been distributed.. rolleyes.gif

I honestly dont have a problem with price gouging as long as you dont do it here welcome.png

You would think members wouldn't want to rip each other off.

Members should try to give other members fair price or even god forbid great deals . Ive gotten good deals and even free stuff.
(Thank you jim H.) wub.gif

bandjoey
What about N ot criticizing a price but simply stating here's what the general market bears to help you out the seller ? There are a lot of new members selling things without doing their homework and or simply overpriced but would sell at a lower price if it was ther right price. I would have no objection to someone doing that to me

Never to call someone a dip wad And you're crazy and overpriced Or don't buy get it from someone else at a cheaper price. That should not be allowed

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=333813

What I posted here was to help. Not hurt

Feedback ?.
bdstone914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 13 2018, 03:57 PM) *

What about N ot criticizing a price but simply stating here's what the general market bears to help you out the seller ? There are a lot of new members selling things without doing their homework and or simply overpriced but would sell at a lower price if it was ther right price. I would have no objection to someone doing that to me

Never to call someone a dip wad And you're crazy and overpriced Or don't buy get it from someone else at a cheaper price. That should not be allowed

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=333813

What I posted here was to help. Not hurt

Feedback ?.

agree.gif
mb911
For me I have no issues if people comment as long as its constructive.. Much like the comments about the wheels in the thread referenced.
TheCabinetmaker
We had a rash of newbs not posting prices, but asking to make an offer. A clear violation of the rules stated in the nailed thread area. Myself, and a few other members respectfully requested they read the rules and comply. They were not always receptive to the request. Some of these sellers are not productive members of the world, but here to sell parts only. They are welcome to do that. However, some of these sellers are getting around that policy by asking ridiculous prices followed by, "or best offer". Technically, not against the rules. They are too lazy to research the appropriate prices. I don't have a problem with that. The buyers have the option to pass, or negotiate. I read the wheel thread referenced. I see nothing wrong with the responses. No one was called names, and the suggestions were valid, in my opinion. I do have a problem with sellers who feel the rules do not apply to them.
twistedstang
I think the offending posts were informative and not rude. Are we really going to protect a new member with a couple posts trying to sell stuff at inflated prices vs someone who may be a long time member looking to buy something?
sixaddict
My feeling is it's about time.
I will not post a car on this site as all the " experts" feel compelled to spout off.
If one doesn't ask, the "rules" say don't comment. As my Texas friends have always said ---what part of "no" ( or don't in the case) don't you understand. dry.gif
mepstein
I’m as guilty as anyone about commenting but it is interesting that BAT - bring a trailer, allows comments, some are quite harsh and annoying but cars still seem to get top dollar. I’m not saying it to justify my actions, I like world and the rules are the rules but don’t they say any exposure is good exposure.
sholman5
And mark your items sold when you sell them. In the title.
Literati914
The real problem with the classifieds is that like 2% of members get everything offered thats worth having (or parts collecting for future business??).Be nice if those 2% would take a pass every once in a while, give someone else a chance. JMHO.
rhodyguy
You need to start shopping at an earlier hour. Like 4am Texas time. Then all day long biggrin.gif this is where a WTB works well when you want to upgrade something. Jogs stash memory.
sholman5
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Oct 14 2018, 07:41 PM) *

The real problem with the classifieds is that like 2% of members get everything offered thats worth having (or parts collecting for future business??).Be nice if those 2% would take a pass every once in a while, give someone else a chance. JMHO.

In a perfect world, maybe yes. Some members have businesses and they need parts for repairs and restorations. I have no problems with that. They also in turn sell parts in the classifieds and ask reasonable prices. I myself have missed out on a few items in the past, it's the nature of the beast. I just keep searching until the opportunity arises.
mepstein
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Oct 14 2018, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Oct 14 2018, 07:41 PM) *

In a perfect world, maybe yes. Some members have businesses and they need parts for repairs and restorations. I have no problems with that. They also in turn sell parts in the classifieds and ask reasonable prices. I myself have missed out on a few items in the past, it's the nature of the beast. I just keep searching until the opportunity arises.

I grab a lot of stuff of the site but it’s typically for me, not to flip, although I do reserve the right to change my mind. I also put some good stuff out there and even give away parts. If you need something specific, place a WTB. If you are missing out on deals, well maybe you don’t waste as much of your time on world as I do. biggrin.gif
Amphicar770
While I agree that posts should not devolve to "your mama", I appreciate when people, with more expertise than myself, flag something as a good deal or as over-priced.
daytona
I have been mostly buying and sometimes selling parts here for a few years, and still consider my self a newbie. As a newbie I try to research the value of a part that I want to buy or sell. Part of the problem with researching prices is that many sellers remove the asking/selling price after the item has sold. I don't get that.
I personally don't mind if someone comments on something I posted for sale as long as it is constructive. I have commented on a seller's price as being too optimistic. But I did it with a PM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.