Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Front Clip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aircooledfool
sawzall-smiley.gif

I'm looking for input on best practice for replacing front clip up to firewall. All input appreciated.
mepstein
A good jig and a good welder. 99% is the prep.
Aircooledfool
I found this jig Jig. Is this what you are suggesting?
Aircooledfool
From the factory body manual, looks like these are the cut lines to follow Front Clip Cut Lines
mepstein
QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Oct 14 2018, 03:21 PM) *

No. That’s just for the front suspension pan. You really want something that sets the front suspension to the body of the car.
tomeric914
Is this a NOS clip or are you piecing two 914s together? How far back is it being installed to?
Aircooledfool
Clip is coming from donor car. Need to replace to firewall. Car was hit in front and the repair wasn't done very well.
mb911
QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Oct 14 2018, 11:36 AM) *

From the factory body manual, looks like these are the cut lines to follow Front Clip Cut Lines

Never saw that before.. That is where mine was cut.
mgphoto
QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Oct 14 2018, 12:36 PM) *

The factory manual has a lot of info about doing this repair, pdf versions available online for cheap, printed version $600 to $1000, get it some how, you won’t regret it.
Aircooledfool
I have a full set of factory manuals and have been studying them. Just hoped for first hand experience from another member.
Valy
QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Oct 14 2018, 12:21 PM) *

Be careful, that jig doesn't have vertical alignment for the big cut you are doing. You may end up with your front clip at an angle, either up or down, or even worst: twisted.
You would need a full car jig that goes all the way to the rear suspension in order to replace the entire front clip.
IronHillRestorations
On a difficulty scale of 1-10 this is probably a 12.

There's so many ways to go out of whack on this kind of repair. If you have to get into any of the suspension mounting points, you should seriously consider getting it done at a professional shop with the equipment to do it correctly. Then factor in all the panel gaps involved for a satisfactory repair.

I won't say you can't do it, because I don't know you, your skill set, or your equipment; but if any of those areas are not up to the task; serious consideration of all options should be taken.
mepstein
We are doing an early 911 at the shop that crunched the front end. First the front was pulled back to near original specs on a celette bench. Then damaged metal will be removed and new metal welded while being held in alignment on the bench. without a bench or jig, It's very hard to build in 3D.
Aircooledfool
Thanks everyone for the input. If we proceed, the repair is being done by local body / restoration shop as there is no way I would consider this on my own. I'll keep everyone updated as we move forward!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
make sure you use like parts so you will not destroy the value of your car, so:

70 71 72 interchange

73 74 interchange

75 76 interchange

QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Oct 15 2018, 06:21 AM) *

Thanks everyone for the input. If we proceed, the repair is being done by local body / restoration shop as there is no way I would consider this on my own. I'll keep everyone updated as we move forward!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.