Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Self loosening axle bolts-will spring waters take care of this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning-hope everybody had a good weekend.

It would seem as if one of the rights of 914 ownership passages is dealing with self-loosening axle bolts.

Will the correct size spring washers from Ace deal with this, or do I need special serrated ones, or do I need to safety wire them?

Thanks in advance for the help, have a good morning.
TheCabinetmaker
New Schnoor washers and proper torque will keep them right. Threads need to be clean
mepstein
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Oct 15 2018, 09:38 AM) *

New Schnoor washers and proper torque will keep them right. Threads need to be clean

That’s the proper fix.
VaccaRabite
Yes the new Schnoor washers and clean threads, but adding safety wire does not hurt either.

Zach
wndsrfr
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 15 2018, 05:55 AM) *

Yes the new Schnoor washers and clean threads, but adding safety wire does not hurt either.

Zach

agree.gif
Tdskip
Thanks Gentlemen
914forme
I do that, and then safety wire them. That works every time. You do that when you are younger and drive the 914 to clients. The CV fell off on my way to one of them, no problem, except hand got covered in CV grease, luckily I knew them well, not a first impression sort of thing. Still not my most professional day. screwy.gif

Same day I also discovered my fuel level sender was not working and ran out of fuel on the way back home. Murphy was batting a 1000 that day. Still had a huge smile on my face from driving.gif
Tdskip
Pulled one to go make sure I get the right size washers. The split washers on here for apparently useless, and the threads were very greasyClick to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
That's not a factory bolt or washer.
SirAndy
That bolt doesn't look right, also, the center part of the threads is stripped ...
unsure.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 15 2018, 06:49 PM) *

Pulled one to go make sure I get the right size washers. The split washers on here for apparently useless, and the threads were very greasy

Those bolts are not the original type of bolt used for 914 CV joints.

I would be ordering some new bolts and probably get the "drilled for safety wire" bolts since I was getting new bolts.

You need to be sure the bolts are the correct strength.

Jim
914sgofast2

It’s the wrong bolt for the CV joints. They are supposed to be the riebe style, which looks somewhat like an internal multi faceted Allen bolt. As already stated, you also need the special schnorr (spelling?) style of lock washers for the bolts.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2018, 09:57 PM) *

That bolt doesn't look right, also, the center part of the threads is stripped ...
unsure.gif

Flattened, likely from banging against the loose CV.

Factory bolts /4 are only threaded part way, 8mm tri-square female. schnorr washers are thin wavy washers with teeth ridges.
914_teener
Go buy a lottery ticket if you had that on the freeway.
Larmo63
I'm pretty sure 914 Rubber sells the correct drilled ones.....?
Mikey914
Yep
https://shop.914rubber.com/914-CV-bolt-dril...m?categoryId=-1

Got the wire and tool if you need it. Also just the Schorr washers .20 each

https://shop.914rubber.com/Schnorr-washers-...-part-SCHM8.htm
pete000
Rebuilding my CV joints and noticed my car was missing one roll pin and had no schorr washers ! Replacing all the bolts, adding the washers. Amazed the car did not have any issues running just on roll pin on one of the joints. I guess low power application helps !
What is the torque spec for the CV bolts?
RenoRoger
QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 15 2018, 09:18 PM) *

Rebuilding my CV joints and noticed my car was missing one roll pin and had no schorr washers ! Replacing all the bolts, adding the washers. Amazed the car did not have any issues running just on roll pin on one of the joints. I guess low power application helps !

Haynes says 31lbs, others say 25 lbs
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 15 2018, 07:56 PM) *

I'm pretty sure 914 Rubber sells the correct drilled ones.....?

I've drilled some...not hard to do...1/16 bit and some quiet time...
IronHillRestorations
The Schnoor washers are a one and done part, which is why we get in trouble in the early years of 914 ownership.

"Ya mean I have to get new ones every time I pull the engine?", yes.
mskala
IMO, if you use _new_ schnorr washers each time, then having grease-free threads
is not necessary. I've installed and removed a bunch of times, I could never get the
area clean while still having grease everywhere you need it. I've checked the torque
before each autocross, they have never loosened even a little.
Bartlett 914
I have said this and I will say it again. When the cv comes loose, it distorts the output flange. It causes the threaded holes to be pulled out slightly. This no longer allows the cv to sit perfectly flat to the output flange. This is the main cause of cv's coming loose. Remove the output flange and turn a cleanup cut on the face. The material is not hardened and it cleans up nicely. Twice my cv's came off in a years time. I discovered this issue. They remain tight to this day
burton73
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 15 2018, 09:06 PM) *

Just get these from 914rubber and be done.

Bob B
porschetub
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Oct 16 2018, 10:21 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 15 2018, 09:18 PM) *

Haynes says 31lbs, others say 25 lbs

Do mine @ 30lbs seem to remember Eric @ PMB stated something like that,the bolts are strong enough to take it and yes make sure they and clean and inspect the threads and bin any damaged ones.
TravisNeff
I bought a big bag of the schnorr washer from McMaster
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 15 2018, 06:06 AM) *

Good morning-hope everybody had a good weekend.

It would seem as if one of the rights of 914 ownership passages is dealing with self-loosening axle bolts.

Will the correct size spring washers from Ace deal with this, or do I need special serrated ones, or do I need to safety wire them?

Thanks in advance for the help, have a good morning.

"spring waters "?

[b]Self loosening axle bolts-will spring waters take care of this?

[/b]

Sure as natures Lock-Tight it will help. A little rust will keep them from backing out.
jfort
My notes to myself:

Axle bolts: 6mm Allen (after market wire drilled) on the inner side, 8mm 12 point on the outer side. Torque to 30 ft-lbs
jim_hoyland
Nice info here on Schnoor washers:. https://schnorr.com/products/safety-washers/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.