Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 Emgine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I have been directed by the higher powers (wife) to thin out the excess parts I have acquired. While I contended there was no such thing as "excess parts" that was over ruled.

I have a complete 1.7 long block that was reportedly rebuilt. I have not torn it down to verify. While it is clean enough and was likely redone, but considering I have no other information on it I cant really see it as much more than a core or as a source of parts.

Depending on what I find during the tear down the individual parts may become more valuable than the long block as a whole.

So assuming that the rebuild was real, what would be of value?

I think the 1.7 rockers have some value.

Heads?

When new 1.7 P/Cs can be had for $300 from AA hard to see much value in P/Cs of unknown origin.

Mikey914
That why they have storage units. My wife and I have an agreement. If she can't see it, it doesn't exist. happy11.gif

Remember it's not hording if it's a Porsche part beerchug.gif
falcor75
Original 1,7 cylinders are useable to rebore to 96 mm for people building a 2056.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 15 2018, 08:58 AM) *

That why they have storage units. My wife and I have an agreement. If she can't see it, it doesn't exist. happy11.gif

Remember it's not hording if it's a Porsche part beerchug.gif

Have a storage unit. But she has a key also and has noticed that she has less room than usual!
mepstein
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Oct 15 2018, 12:58 PM) *

Original 1,7 cylinders are useable to rebore to 96 mm for people building a 2056.

Heads don't have much value.
Jake has stated the early 1.7 cases are the best for high power applications. Better metallurgy and less strain on case due to low power. Keep any extra hardware.
rhodyguy
1911cc with the 1.7 crank and rods.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Oct 15 2018, 12:58 PM) *

Nope. 1.8 do work

-1.7/1.8 cases are better for performance builds due to crank has less flex.
-rockers
- hardware, dowel pins, flywheel shims, etc.

Rand
It fascinates me how many men are directed by wives. To me it should be a partnership.

Storage units, don't get me started: You pay for them every month for things you mostly never see and it costs more in the long run that dumping it first and by that time goes by you can get something way better should you actually need it. I guess this is why "Storage Wars" works on TV.
mepstein
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 15 2018, 02:57 PM) *

It fascinates me how many men are directed by wives. To me it should be a partnership.

Storage units, don't get me started: You pay for them every month for things you mostly never see and it costs more in the long run that dumping it first and by that time goes by you can get something way better should you actually need it. I guess this is why "Storage Wars" works on TV.

Everybody has their own relationships. In my house, my wife has final say for some things, I do for others and a lot is shared decisions. Then I constantly brake the house rules.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 15 2018, 10:57 AM) *

I guess maybe directed is a bit strong. I was given the option of spending $10K on an engine build if we had less clutter! shades.gif
rhodyguy
Break, or did you mean stop. wink.gif I tend to slow the rules down a bit. Actually, we only have 2. No discretionary purchases over $200 without a chat and NO SMOKING OF ANY KIND IN THE HOUSE! I abide. Unless it's a steak in a cast iron skillet. Then I open the kitchen windows.
914sgofast2
Save the oil pump (good ones becoming unobtainium); distributor and associated drive; pushrods, rockers snd lifters; case; cam gear (and cam, they can be reground); all nuts, bolts and associated hardware. That’s my 2 cents worth.
mepstein
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Oct 15 2018, 04:31 PM) *

Save the oil pump (good ones becoming unobtainium); distributor and associated drive; pushrods, rockers snd lifters; case; cam gear (and cam, they can be reground); all nuts, bolts and associated hardware. That’s my 2 cents worth.

Probably just easier to hide it some where. Parts take up room too. I’ve given away a half dozen engines just to keep the stash in check.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 15 2018, 12:42 PM) *

Probably just easier to hide it some where. Parts take up room too. I’ve given away a half dozen engines just to keep the stash in check.

I guess I was not clear. It is going just was wondering If it had more value as an engine or parts.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 15 2018, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 15 2018, 12:42 PM) *

I guess I was not clear. It is going just was wondering If it had more value as an engine or parts.

Parts. A 200lb engine limits shipping options and cost to ship almost what an undocumented engine is worth. If you tear it apart you will know what you have and have an easier time selling and shipping.
BK911
Do a leak down
That will give idea of condition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.