Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autocross at El Toro - Sunday 10/14
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
The little green monster did it again! Evan took 1st in CC06, 1st in BRI, and 13th overall (raw time). I missed 2nd by 3/10 of a second!

We have some roll over oversteer (and therefore hanging the front, inside wheel), so I'm hoping to add a touch more rear spring to try and combat that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjJB6KwVjq8

Evan's run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hRf0cg7RNU
76-914
Video unavailable.
yeahmag
Click the “watch on YouTube” and it will work.
My 914
Good job. Nice driving!
TravisNeff
What a fun ride! driving.gif
Gmanscott55
You guys killed it. Always great seeing a 914 beat the GT3's. Great seeing you again.
marksteinhilber
Wow, great runs! What engine is that? Sounds like a lot more than what my T4 has. Video looks a lot faster than when I ran at El Toro with the engine floored and at peak of engine power and torque curves. smilie_pokal.gif
SO.O.C914er
Nice driving, man I want to do that. Looks like all second and third gear stuff? driving.gif first.gif ...Paul
914-300Hemi
Look like great runs.
yeahmag
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Oct 16 2018, 05:19 PM) *

Wow, great runs! What engine is that? Sounds like a lot more than what my T4 has. Video looks a lot faster than when I ran at El Toro with the engine floored and at peak of engine power and torque curves. smilie_pokal.gif

It's just a 2L with a Raby 86a cam variant, 2L heads with dual springs, and a 4-1 header with a Phase 9 style muffler (Tangerine Racing). All of the magic is getting everything right both in assembly and in the combination of parts. We run it to 7K RPM if necessary, but it's just to avoid a shift. It's not making power up there.

Additionally, I spent a lot of time on things like decking the case, deck height, CR, making sure all the components match together nicely (intake, gasket, head for example), and tuning. It also has an MSZ box (short ratio 2-3-4, lower 5th) built by Doctor Evil.

Finally, the motor is dry sumped using a CB Performance dry sump that I heavily worked over. This allows it to stay alive at high G and RPM loads. Watch the oil pressure gauge on the far left as I go through the sweepers! Doesn't move! That pump doesn't have the greatest idle oil pressures though.
yeahmag
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Oct 16 2018, 06:31 PM) *

Nice driving, man I want to do that. Looks like all second and third gear stuff? driving.gif first.gif ...Paul

Yup. I've never hit 4th in an autocross even in PCA-OCR (which makes big courses like you saw). Join PCA OCR and come play!
brilliantrot
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Oct 16 2018, 05:19 PM) *

Aaron really built a great motor......... and car. It rips. A cam, head, and valve train package to get them to rev really makes the car a lot more fun and significantly faster.

-Evan
jim_hoyland
Congrats Aaron ! Great news. Please post here in the garage before the next autocross at El Toro, several of us will want to drive over and give support and watch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.