Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
abes914
Click to view attachment
abes914
Click to view attachment
pete000
Neat, just down the road from me !

They get 914s now and then and they get picked clean quickly...

Has defrost rear glass !

IMSA wing is fun...

Double wiper blades, remember those form the 80's !

Mark it "Dead" Donny !
914forme
The thing people do to these cars.

V8, and stock brakes redrilled for 5 lugs confused24.gif why do people just want to go fast. A controlled stop does not kill, it is the sudden stops that do confused24.gif

always liked the Air kit after being the bond 934, and well the Altec Lansing Ad if any of you remember there is a 914 in that AD poke.gif

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
The roll bar looks pretty legit.....?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 16 2018, 06:20 PM) *

The thing people do to these cars.

V8, and stock brakes redrilled for 5 lugs confused24.gif why do people just want to go fast. A controlled stop does not kill, it is the sudden stops that do confused24.gif

Amen. Maybe they were thinking it would be safer if it took longer to slow down? av-943.gif

I began to wonder if this was "A 914-6 for the 21st Century," a SoCal 914-6 built for a member of the Bond family (R&T) that wore the same body kit and had a story done on it in Excellence way back when. That car was dark blue, so these pics stopped me.

VIN and mechanicals suggest otherwise...
Chi-town
Here's what it looked like before the vultures got it

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
horizontally-opposed
^ Man, someone really put a lot of time into that thing.

The way things line up, with a kit...

And what a period piece before it was stripped. This thing slammed on a set of better wheels (gold BBS race wheels in 16- or 17-inch and super wide) with better mechanicals would have been very cool. And it isn't even my kind of car...
GaroldShaffer
I still want to know the story behind WHY it was in a scrapyard to start with. Whoever junked it missed out on better $$$ if they would have sold it complete.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Oct 16 2018, 08:42 PM) *

I still want to know the story behind WHY it was in a scrapyard to start with. Whoever junked it missed out on better $$$ if they would have sold it complete.

Maybe they could no longer suffer the incongruity of the car's engine/bodywork and its exhaust pipe?

Was hoping for a further Bermuda Triangle effect with that 4Runner being a rare second-gen 2-door. Alas, it's a mere four-door...
porschetub
Oh dear lucky someone has found some use for it …………….
pete000
R.I.P.
Valy
I'm almost sure that car was in Sunnyvale, CA few years back.
I remember the owner said it had a Chevy V8 and a Pantera transmission.
The engine was so strong that it twisted the rear trunk. The guy welded at it for few days just to fix that.
If that's the car, you should see a lot of welds and reinforcement between the transmission mounting points and rear suspension.
Porschef
That ZF tranny could handle a ton of torque, plus it served as a stressed member in the car. My brother in law had two Panteras, the first got t-boned at a stop light by an elderly woman that proceeded to hit the car twice... sad.gif

2nd one had a worked Cleveland and was an absolute rocket

Bet this car was quick...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Valy @ Oct 17 2018, 12:55 AM) *

The engine was so strong that it twisted the rear trunk. The guy welded at it for few days just to fix that.
If that's the car, you should see a lot of welds and reinforcement between the transmission mounting points and rear suspension.

Wonder if you're talking about Campbell's old 914-8, which haunted Berkeley (Gilman area) and the East Bay on and off for many years. The car was dark (gray?) with big (!) flares, boxed aluminum rockers, Centerline wheels, and...a Pantera gearbox. I think he bought it with a turbo V8 (which didn't work, which was why it was for sale) and got it running with a Chevy V8 sans turbo.

Campbell was runner who raced Carl Lewis, IIRC, and he was also my junior high PE teacher (and one crazy mofo...which made him the coolest teacher at Portola), and his 914 was the first legitimately fast car I ever rode in. The acceleration onto 80 East from Gilman or University blew my mind. I can still remember the shock, and I'm not even sure the 918 and other stuff has come near that experience. Something about our lens. HC is running another 914 these days, white with a Honda V6 I think? See him at EASY from time to time, and it sounds tight and looks quick. He's on this board from time to time, under Cali914 or similar. I think CALI914 was his plate back in the day. Need to go out with HC some time...we probably have some stories to swap.
Andyrew
There WAS 10k of parts on it. Most of its gone now, but Im very curious what trans it is running. Obviously someone put money into the car as well as time.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 17 2018, 09:47 AM) *

There WAS 10k of parts on it. Most of its gone now, but Im very curious what trans it is running. Obviously someone put money into the car as well as time.

^ Yes, and my hunch based on the apparent quality of the body fit is that it still might be a good basis for a project if the tub isn't rusty and the paint is at least decent.

Too bad all of the period stuff got stripped, but this thing could rise from the ashes. Would be a huge bummer to see it crushed. And, again, this isn't my cup of tea when it comes to 914s, but it's inarguably cool in my book. Not sure why, but I think about how it would look on a set of the same wheels that are on the red car in another thread here...

Ferg
I remember the Pantera trans car, it was at the first WCC on the last day. I followed him back towards Oakland on my way back to ColoRADo. It could be it, I remember it was flat black ish with a wild body kit...

driving.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Oct 16 2018, 07:42 PM) *

In the world of cars that end up at places like this there is "right money" and "Right now money", most guys go for the latter. At least at a place like this the parts will get used, plenty of cars get scrapped and folded into squares, the parts help no one.
I've always loved places like Pull-A-Part, cars that would have been just junk get used down to the last nut, and usually at affordable prices, so for guys with more ambition/time than money there are ways like this to keep your car alive.
sixnotfour
I used to buy 944s for the fuchs and drop the rest off at pick and pull $700
Valy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 17 2018, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Oct 17 2018, 12:55 AM) *

Wonder if you're talking about Campbell's old 914-8, which haunted Berkeley (Gilman area) and the East Bay on and off for many years. The car was dark (gray?) with big (!) flares, boxed aluminum rockers, Centerline wheels, and...a Pantera gearbox. I think he bought it with a turbo V8 (which didn't work, which was why it was for sale) and got it running with a Chevy V8 sans turbo.

Campbell was runner who raced Carl Lewis, IIRC, and he was also my junior high PE teacher (and one crazy mofo...which made him the coolest teacher at Portola), and his 914 was the first legitimately fast car I ever rode in. The acceleration onto 80 East from Gilman or University blew my mind. I can still remember the shock, and I'm not even sure the 918 and other stuff has come near that experience. Something about our lens. HC is running another 914 these days, white with a Honda V6 I think? See him at EASY from time to time, and it sounds tight and looks quick. He's on this board from time to time, under Cali914 or similar. I think CALI914 was his plate back in the day. Need to go out with HC some time...we probably have some stories to swap.

Sounds like we're talking about the same car.
One more thing I just remembered is that it had a whale tail spoiler so the car in this thread must be a different one.
The car was scary fast. I saw the damage it did to the body...
Chi-town
I went out to see what was left and there's not much.

Interior is gone except seat shells and lower dash bolster that looked decent.

There's a small block with a custom engine mounting plate but all the coolant accessories are gone and it has a 901 behind it.

Top, Trunk, and hood are gone but the wide body kit is still all there. Doors are in decent shape. Rear glass and door glass is good. Engine lid still there.

I took the targa latches and door check.

Fuel tank is punctured at the top and full of rust, I took all the hold down / mounting hardware and outlet nipples and sender.

Wiring is all chopped up.

It's a re-drilled 5 lug with stock calipers.

pete000
Check that 901 trans for a HB stamping !
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Oct 18 2018, 12:55 PM) *

I went out to see what was left and there's not much.

Interior is gone except seat shells and lower dash bolster that looked decent.

There's a small block with a custom engine mounting plate but all the coolant accessories are gone and it has a 901 behind it.

Top, Trunk, and hood are gone but the wide body kit is still all there. Doors are in decent shape. Rear glass and door glass is good. Engine lid still there.

I took the targa latches and door check.

Fuel tank is punctured at the top and full of rust, I took all the hold down / mounting hardware and outlet nipples and sender.

Wiring is all chopped up.

It's a re-drilled 5 lug with stock calipers.

Did you grab front and rear trunk hinges (w hardware)???? idea.gif

Oscar

Chi-town
I'll grab the hinges tomorrow when I go back. All the torsion rods were gone.

Where would I find the "HB" stamping? and what does it mean?
abes914
I was going to check it Saturday morning but I guess not worth it. Thanks for letting us know.
pete000
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Oct 18 2018, 03:59 PM) *

I'll grab the hinges tomorrow when I go back. All the torsion rods were gone.

Where would I find the "HB" stamping? and what does it mean?

On the transmission center rib on the bottom would also possibly have a hang tag on the side. This would mean it was a LSD gearbox.
Coondog

You guys need to visit Vince’s place in Hesperia, there’s always a half dozen 914s setting around beng parted out. It’s your own 914 pick and pull heaven. Plus he has a couple containers full of parts.

horizontally-opposed
Sounds like this thing is headed for a crusher. sad.gif

What a bummer, even considering the hacked up harness and the rest of the parts stripped away. We see folks on here all the time starting with rusty tubs and visions of big body kits, etc. Here's a car that might be a MUCH better foundation, with a body kit that actually raced in period—and it looks like it might be one of the very rare ones that someone took the time to get right on the install. Gaps look good, things line up, etc.

Did anyone get a VIN or check the usual suspects for rust?
Chi-town
You can't buy them back once they are in a yard.

Now there is even less I took the rear trailing arms/brakes, shift rods, trunk hinges for Oscar (others are already gone), pedal assembly.

I pulled the trans, it's open diff with a U-joint style shaft assembly welded to the stubs and outdrives by some driveshaft shop so I left it.

There's a Allen key broke off in the flywheel bolt so that's not going any where and that makes the adapter plate not accessible.

The engine is picked over
pricebill

I pulled the alternator, water pump and hoses from this vehicle. I was thrilled to find OG Renegade parts in a junkyard. This car lives on. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Chi-town
QUOTE(pricebill @ Oct 21 2018, 08:50 PM) *

I pulled the alternator, water pump and hoses from this vehicle. I was thrilled to find OG Renegade parts in a junkyard. This car lives on.

That was me you ran in to while you were puling the water pump. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Oct 22 2018, 08:36 AM) *

QUOTE(pricebill @ Oct 21 2018, 08:50 PM) *

I pulled the alternator, water pump and hoses from this vehicle. I was thrilled to find OG Renegade parts in a junkyard. This car lives on.

That was me you ran in to while you were puling the water pump. beerchug.gif

Nice score guys......

Hey Chi-town, thanks for coming and helping out yesterday at my house. Got another one on it's merry way...off to Riverside. You ought to come to 914 Cone Zone on Nov 3rd.

Till next time...

Oscar

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.