Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another what do you call it ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I'm searching the web for a good picture of the side bumpers popular in the mid-70s
Since I don't know what they're called to search for I can't find any good pictures.

What would you call it .
mepstein
The devils trim. biggrin.gif
worn
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 18 2018, 03:58 PM) *

I'm searching the web for a good picture of the side bumpers popular in the mid-70s
Since I don't know what they're called to search for I can't find any good pictures.

What would you call it .

Rust lines for MGBs? Side trim is what I am thinking.
Coondog
A fad, a very bad fad. Bad part is they didn’t have the super strong 3-M tape in those days so they were held on by rivets...... sad.gif
sb914
Don't do it !
914Sixer
Body side trim. I was one of those bad persons that installed those in the 1970's Origiquip was the name of the company that provided those fine items.
76-914
Door Guard
Montreal914
Fugliest thing barf.gif

Been wanting to get rid of them since I acquired the car but they were installed on the original paint so I'm stuck until I get a full respray headbang.gif

Click to view attachment
cary
Body Side Molding
Front yard mechanic
Kmart shopper bling barf.gif
steuspeed
Door ding trim or strip.
bandjoey
Not on my car either. However someone out there likes them. Have all 12 chrome tips to put on eBay, knowing they'll never sell here. Thanks.
mepstein
It’s the fact that they are riveted on to the body that makes me hate them.
Chi-town
I like mine bye1.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 19 2018, 03:07 PM) *

Nah ,takes less than that to hate them av-943.gif av-943.gif .
mbseto
I had a car where these had metal cores and all they are is an additional thing to rust.
74ravenna
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Oct 18 2018, 09:30 PM) *

Fugliest thing barf.gif

Been wanting to get rid of them since I acquired the car but they were installed on the original paint so I'm stuck until I get a full respray headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Mine looked exactly like this brand.
I was told they were riveted on, so I was stuck with them.
Then one day I took a closer look behind the fenders and found no rivets, screws or nuts. I slid my hand around to feel for any sign of a fastener........I found nothing.

So with a heat gun and a plastic putty knife they peeled right off.
My paint underneath was intact.

I'm not suggesting you should try this, but for anyone that does, for an easier and cleaner removal be patient with the heat gun.
There will be some residual adhesive to clean off the car.
bandjoey
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Oct 19 2018, 07:07 PM) *

Fugliest thing barf.gif

Click to view attachment

Then one day I took a closer look behind the fenders and found no rivets, screws or nuts. I slid my hand around to feel for any sign of a fastener........I found nothing.

I'm not suggesting you should try this, but for anyone that does, for an easier and cleaner removal be patient with the heat gun.

These came off my parts car. pulled the rubber out of the track and they were riveted to the body. Those with tape or glue are the lucky ones....unless you like them. driving.gif
914werke
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 18 2018, 03:58 PM) *
What would you call it .
Fugly ? confused24.gif
settador
"Side Spears" on a Speedster, Convertible-D, Roadster, or so optioned other 356. "To each his own" on a 914....
Mark Henry
They look OK on my sons '82 Audi confused24.gif
aharder
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 18 2018, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 19 2018, 03:07 PM) *

Nah ,takes less than that to hate them av-943.gif av-943.gif .

agree.gif
74ravenna
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 19 2018, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(74ravenna @ Oct 19 2018, 07:07 PM) *

Fugliest thing barf.gif

Click to view attachment

These came off my parts car. pulled the rubber out of the track and they were riveted to the body. Those with tape or glue are the lucky ones....unless you like them. driving.gif

I was actually ok with mine...........I just got curious of what it would look like without them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.