Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heater blower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slotty008
A couple of weeks ago ,on a cold morning and driving a rally, I pulled the console heater lever to get some heat in the cockpit( never used it before). Nada! So I tried to figure out where the problem came from. Started with the blower motor : it didn't run. So I took it apart, cleaned it out, greased it and it runs freely now when I put 12V on it. But it didn't work in the car. So I checked the engine bay relay box. The heater blower relay was missing, so I ordered a new one. Still nothing. I took out the heater lever and checked the green-white wire. It looked OK to me , but as soon as I make contact with the ground , it starts smoking at the end. So there must be a short circuit somewhere.
I don't intend to take out the whole wiring harness so what can I do to fix it or where do I start looking?
rhodyguy
Until you sort the electrical issue out, Disconnect the fan power and cap the J tubes with rubber pipe caps from the hardware store. You'll have PLENTY of heat if the HEs are in good shape. The engine fan pressure overcomes the the aux fan pressure as engine speed increases and closes the 2 little doors on the fan shroud.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 21 2018, 09:04 AM) *

The engine fan pressure overcomes the aux fan pressure as engine speed increases and closes the 2 little doors on the fan shroud.

WTF.gif

Wouldn't it open the little doors?

I really never knew what the little doors were for anyways but I left them in.
slotty008
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 21 2018, 03:04 PM) *

Until you sort the electrical issue out, Disconnect the fan power and cap the J tubes with rubber pipe caps from the hardware store. You'll have PLENTY of heat if the HEs are in good shape. The engine fan pressure overcomes the the aux fan pressure as engine speed increases and closes the 2 little doors on the fan shroud.

Thx for the reply.
I think one of the HE's is losing a little bit of air. I can feel a draught when I put my hand on it.(I connected the blower motor with an external 12V supply). Next week I can put the car on a lift to check it out.
But that doesn't solve my electrical problem.
slotty008
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Oct 21 2018, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 21 2018, 03:04 PM) *

Thx for the reply.
I think one of the HE's is losing a little bit of air. I can feel a draught when I put my hand on it.(I connected the blower motor with an external 12V supply). Next week I can put the car on a lift to check it out.
But that doesn't solve my electrical problem.

I have a '75 and the fan has just one little door.
914_teener
I had this exact problem when I first got me car.

Two main areas it could be, at least from my experience.

Check the traces on your regulator plate and where the wire for the heater....essentially it just grounds the relay.

In the back of the harness it has pin connectors the connects the traces to the heater lever. In my case the wire had cracked and when grounded shorted the wire heating the harness and smoking the wire.

I reran this lead completely to fix it.

Bottom line....check the regulator plate and the ground wire itself. T
slotty008
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 21 2018, 08:10 PM) *

I had this exact problem when I first got me car.

Two main areas it could be, at least from my experience.

Check the traces on your regulator plate and where the wire for the heater....essentially it just grounds the relay.

In the back of the harness it has pin connectors the connects the traces to the heater lever. In my case the wire had cracked and when grounded shorted the wire heating the harness and smoking the wire.

I reran this lead completely to fix it.

Bottom line....check the regulator plate and the ground wire itself. T

OK, will try that next week and let you know. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.